M41 Ssr Mav Aw Aka The Spnkr

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirPalesAlot

So, this is the very first topic I have created and I hope everyone enjoys it. Before I was able to join the 405[sup]th[/sup] (back when you could only sign up every so often) I was browsing some topics at the time and I ran across the topic found HERE. I read through most of it to only find out that there was no pep file of that model made. So I waited until I could sign up and I sent a message to Bevbor asking him if I could modify his model in order to make it more pep friendly. He said it was alright, so I dove in head first. I know that most of the parts of the SPNKr can be scratch built a lot easier than they can be made out of pep, but due to my lack of skill in that area I needed a good pep file to start out from until my skills improve. There is not a real big difference in the modified model, and the original. You can notice some things right off hand, but all that was taken out are the things that pep couldn’t handle or things anyone could easily add once they start the detailing process. After I managed to get model pep could handle (each part was split up so Pepakura doesn’t crash) I had to get rid of all of the pesky open edges in the model. The program I used to modify the original model, and Pepakura do not get along, at all. So I had to find another route to getting the model in Pepakura without the errors. At this point I picked up Google Sketchup, and it’s a really easy to use program, but it was much different than the software I am used to. When I put the model into Sketchup I had to clean up the translation errors, and after that I tried it out in Pepakura again. Sketchup helped eliminate a lot of the open edges, but I still had some areas that I could not seem to fix. The project got put on the back burner for a while, and I moved on to something else until I could figure out how to fix the edges. After getting some help from JUICE with the Gundam model I was working on (which I will be finishing up now that this is out of the way) I asked him how he went about fixing the open edges I had left in that model. He gave me some easy to understand instructions and from there I picked up Metasequoia and began to clean the SPNKr up once again. After a good amount of frustration, and a little bit of learning I am happy to release the files.

There are a total of 10 files in the pack. One file is a combination of the 4 main parts of the SPNKr that is used to adjust the scale for the other files. Simply open up the Original Full file, type in the size you want the whole thing to be, and then just input that scale into the other files for theirs. The model is set to 53” in length, which is the only number I was able to find as the length of the rocket launcher. As I said before, there are 4 main parts that make up the rocket launcher. There is the center assembly, tube assembly, top box, and the handle. Each of the files are unfolded, except for the handle.

Since I did not make an unfolded version of the handle as a whole, I split it up into 3 parts (2 files). I did this for several reasons, the first reason was because the handle could easily be dimensioned and then cut out of wood. Then all you would need is to pep the lower box and the tube support. The second reason I split it up was because I thought it would be a pain to strengthen the handle with the lower box and support already attached.

That’s a total of 7 files so far, the last 3 files are just duplicates of the split up handle file and the top box file, just in a simpler form. I took some of the details out of it just to make the pepping part a little bit easier, without compromising its detailed look. (At least that’s what I feel I managed to do lol)

Well, that’s your total of 10 files. I am considering doing a dimensional layout of the handle for this model in case someone does want to do a half scratch, half pep handle while still maintaining the look and proportions of the original model.

Ok, I have rambled on enough, I enjoyed modifying this model, and making it pep-able. I hope that you all like it, and if you have any questions ask away. There maybe be some areas in the unfolded parts that can be made simpler or may be issues, but since I have not yet started building it I cannot correct them. The tube assembly file has the pepped form of the tube on the last pages. If you plan to use a pipe instead of pepping it then just leave those pages off when you go to print it. And I would like to thank Bevbor for letting me change his model so that I could do make these files. I would also like to thank JUICE for telling me how to go about getting rid of all those annoying open edges in my model lol.

The files can be downloaded: http://www.4shared.com/file/erk27fIs/M41_SSR_MAV_AW_aka_the_SPNKr.htmlhttp://www.4shared.com/file/erk27fIs/M41_SSR_MAV_AW_aka_the_SPNKr.html

And now…the Pics….

The original model…..
Bevbor_Original_SPNKr_3.jpg

The Modified version…..
SPNKr4.jpg

Full Pep Scale Tester
Original_Full_Tester.jpg

Original Handle (NO UNFOLD)
Original_Handle_Full.jpg

Original Center Assembly
Original_Center_Assembly.jpg

Original Top Box
Original_Top_Box.jpg

Original Tube Assembly
Original_Tube_Assembly.jpg

Original Handle W/O Lower Box or Support
Original_Handle_No_Box_or_Support.jpg

Original Handle Lower Box and Support
Original_Bot_Box_And_Support.jpg

Simplified Handle W/O Lower box or Support
Simplified_Handle_No_Box.jpg

Simplified Handle Lower Box and Support
Simplified_Bot_Box_And_Support.jpg

Simplified Top Box

-SirPalesAlot

wow that looks really good, i have a pretty large to do list already but as others have already said this is now on my to do list for sure. keep up the good work

JUICE said:
Happy to see you finished it. Good job. What's next on the list?

Ill probably be finishing the Gundam...then idk....and Thank you.

And to everyone else, Thank You....I am glad you all like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
CrackerJack121 said:
Very nicely done!

Thanks...Also, your SPNKr is coming along nicely...I can't wait to see it when it is done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats very impressive, being a google sketchupper i know how hard it can be to transfer file over to pep and unfold.

wow im extreamly sad that i didnt find this back when i was searching for SPNKr files, link to the file said the file was removed so i guess my search continues. or does anyone know a file out there thats as amazing as this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back