M808 Scorpion Practical Redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey 405th, the Scorpion is one of my all time favorite vehicles of gaming, and is pretty well known for having a weird unpractical design. (The gun turret is raised like that to shoot players that get too close BTW, that's why it is weird). Anyways I have started a model that tries to find a design intermediary between its iconic look, and practicality based on modern and speculative tech. Unfortunately, making it 100% practical would result in it looking nothing like the Scorpion, so I have to make some allowances based on that. I am completely open to criticism, since someone might have a different opinion on what makes the Scorpion a Scorpion.
Changes (Will update with each feature added):
  • 90mm gun to 120mm
  • Quad track to two tracks (sorry at least I kept it separate from the body for a surprise function ;)
  • Light tank configuration
  • Reshaped, simplified, and streamlined body
Keep tuned for daily updates, expect pic heavy and about a week-two weeks of work.

Teaser:
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 12.52.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 12.52.54 PM.png

This is a really cool design. I like the concept of finding a middle ground between the game design and a realistic military design. I feel like the cannon is still raised enough to make it recognizable as a scorpion but the change to 2 treads, instead of the iconic 4, makes it feel like something is slightly off to me. Out of curiosity, what was the reason for 2 treads? I always thought 4 would be more helpful for traveling over rougher terrain than usual with the downside being that it would be more complex to engineer. I still love the design though!

This is a really cool design. I like the concept of finding a middle ground between the game design and a realistic military design. I feel like the cannon is still raised enough to make it recognizable as a scorpion but the change to 2 treads, instead of the iconic 4, makes it feel like something is slightly off to me. Out of curiosity, what was the reason for 2 treads? I always thought 4 would be more helpful for traveling over rougher terrain than usual with the downside being that it would be more complex to engineer. I still love the design though!
4 tracks increases ground pressure, (bad) as well as decreasing trench crossing and hilly terrain capability. It is also harder to drive two separate tracks on each side. There is good reason we use 2 tracks. I wish 4 was better but unfortunately no go. I guess 4 could allow it to steer like a car, which I am thinking of doing, because making the tank a light tank, and fast would justify its pathetic armor and firepower.

4 tracks increases ground pressure, (bad) as well as decreasing trench crossing and hilly terrain capability. It is also harder to drive two separate tracks on each side. There is good reason we use 2 tracks. I wish 4 was better but unfortunately no go. I guess 4 could allow it to steer like a car, which I am thinking of doing, because making the tank a light tank, and fast would justify its pathetic armor and firepower.
Oh got it. That's actually pretty interesting. Trench crossing is one thing I didn't even think about.

4 tracks also makes it heavier by a good bit because of the extra drive systems and reinforcement.
I was also asking my roommate about this since he has a good amount of military knowledge and he brought up the point that 4 tracks would be a nightmare to have to repair in the field. I can definitely see why 2 is better now

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 9.53.04 AM.png

Minor changes to the proportions, previous side connectors were massive weak points. They still are tbh, but joining the tracks to the body would take away the scorpion look. Don't worry, next update will be more substantial.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.00.45 PM.png

Can anyone get me some screenshot for this? It's the Reach Scorpion's machine turret, I don't have my PC rn. I felt like putting a Halo machine gun on it would really ground the vehicle in-universe, and I like the Reach artstyle.
Tahu I know you are watching

View attachment 290325
Can anyone get me some screenshot for this? It's the Reach Scorpion's machine turret, I don't have my PC rn. I felt like putting a Halo machine gun on it would really ground the vehicle in-universe, and I like the Reach artstyle.
Tahu I know you are watching
I can get some screenshots off of my Xbox. Are there any specific angles you need?

Also lol for that little note at the end. I will watch your career with great interest

Hatches done for now, shrunk the windows, plus they have more space for thickness now, and don't line up directly with the driver's squishy face. Added sliding tracks, instead of the magic sliding hatch in reach. Kept the weird pop up thing from Reach, to keep it somewhat recognizable. I also changed the material in the viewport so the metallic nature of the tank is clearer. I was have trouble seeing bevels, and being able to visualize scale, since it always looked like a flat-lit paper model, hopefully this makes it look better for ya'll as well.
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.37.43 PM.png

Hatches done for now, shrunk the windows, plus they have more space for thickness now, and don't line up directly with the driver's squishy face. Added sliding tracks, instead of the magic sliding hatch in reach. Kept the weird pop up thing from Reach, to keep it somewhat recognizable. I also changed the material in the viewport so the metallic nature of the tank is clearer. I was have trouble seeing bevels, and being able to visualize scale, since it always looked like a flat-lit paper model, hopefully this makes it look better for ya'll as well.
View attachment 290394
The details are starting to look really nice! I really like the tracks for the hatches, I feel like the attention to mechanical details, even the smaller ones like that, are what really help make the design more realistic and practical. I can even tell from that little chamfer that just the back half of the hatch is meant to slide back and fit perfectly into that space behind.

The details are starting to look really nice! I really like the tracks for the hatches, I feel like the attention to mechanical details, even the smaller ones like that, are what really help make the design more realistic and practical. I can even tell from that little chamfer that just the back half of the hatch is meant to slide back and fit perfectly into that space behind.
Thanks man, I'm gonna slow posting now, I'm getting overexcited, but if you still want to give feedback I can pm. I'm good with negative feedback too, since I have backups to revert to incase I mess something up.

Thanks man, I'm gonna slow posting now, I'm getting overexcited, but if you still want to give feedback I can pm. I'm good with negative feedback too, since I have backups to revert to incase I mess something up.
Got it, yeah you can always pm me if you need more feedback or want a second look at something. I'm currently a mechanical engineering student so a lot of the mechanical details of this project seem interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back