Magnets vs Elastic/Velcro for Mk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenjiTheSlayer

I've made my fair share of ODST suits but never a set of Mjolnir Mk IV. I have the templates and am waiting on materials but have a few questions. I want the armour to go on in parts as to avoid squeezing into it (and adding unnecessary wear) , I'm thinking magnets but would love another point of view, Thanks in advance

I've made my fair share of ODST suits but never a set of Mjolnir Mk IV. I have the templates and am waiting on materials but have a few questions. I want the armour to go on in parts as to avoid squeezing into it (and adding unnecessary wear) , I'm thinking magnets but would love another point of view, Thanks in advance
This is to attatch the armor to itself and only itself right? So half a shin to the back half of the shin, etc? I vote velcro. I think it would be alot easier depending on the type used and position to better secure the bond. You would need very strong magnets and they can sometimes mess with the iron in your blood if used for a little while. Some people will hopefully reply to this thread with more experiance because j know there are many other methods that may be a good idea

Parachute clips, or backpack clips, whatever they're called, are a great alternative. Magnets are ok, velcro is iffy at best in my experience, but your best bet is a combination of things.

For armor to armor I live the parachute clips. They're great. Just be sure to secure them really well.

15661852096748748642863927995032.jpg

15661852280697337240343700513786.jpg

Parachute clips, or backpack clips, whatever they're called, are a great alternative. Magnets are ok, velcro is iffy at best in my experience, but your best bet is a combination of things.

For armor to armor I live the parachute clips. They're great. Just be sure to secure them really well.

View attachment 276474

View attachment 276475
I was gonna use velcro to close up my chest core after I get into it.. but maybe i'll switch to a buckle system instead.

My issue with velcro is that the armor pieces are big, heavy, and awkward, so the velcro has to work overtime to keep things in place. It's great to hold small things, or to keep things aligned, but you'll probably want to double up with another attachment type. You can even use snaps like what you'll find at Walmart. Those will help.

I am currently using neodymium magnets to close up my ODST body armour. They do the job if I'm just standing or walking. If I bend over or even flex my body the will pop. This is happening for 2 reasons. The magnets I used are too small or I'm not using enough.
As one of my many fixes to make before the con this weekend I'm going to use Sean Anwalt's idea of clips as added measure to keep from opening up.

Has anyone used elastic? Like an elastic waist band material or even a thick, stretch knit fabric. I’m wondering if it would help for areas that are tight/need a low profile attachment and can be pulled onto the body.

Edit: I just re-read and saw that Kenji specifically did not want the squeezing into armor - but I still want to know lol :D

Has anyone used elastic? Like an elastic waist band material or even a thick, stretch knit fabric. I’m wondering if it would help for areas that are tight/need a low profile attachment and can be pulled onto the body.

Edit: I just re-read and saw that Kenji specifically did not want the squeezing into armor - but I still want to know lol :D
Elastic works good to strap to the body, but it will sag down sometimes, or fall down all the way based on body shape and gravity. You do not want it too tight anyway. It is based used when threaded through a fe w loops on the undersuit, sort of like a belt, just incase. Elastic also works well on strapping armor peices to each other when used with buttons and stuff. You can also make really cool things like the spine you can see in spider monkeys most recent reach wip thread

Has anyone used elastic?

From a previous post of mine:

For those that may want a smaller/tighter fit on areas like a forearm but are concerned about getting your hand through, I cut out a piece (very finely) off of the forearm and reattached it using Stretchrite and hot glue. This will allow the armor to flex for you in other spots too like the shin armor. Try getting the heel of your foot through a correctly sized shin and it's a pain without the Stretchrite relief put in.

265867-4a642f80dd33120f8fbaf428cf8a7e40.jpg
265868-e77199a665dca7c3a6dff798cd06a815.jpg
265869-7da88fb35a3938d5a45bec96401a8c18.jpg

Everything else, I'm mainly using a combination of screws/nuts/and clips like what Sean Anwalt mentioned.

Well for my son's armor, I used a ton of elastic and Velcro.......everything was attached to the chest piece and that was a huge mistake. Put a lot of weight on his shoulders.....even if it was foam and only weighed in at 5-6 lbs, after an hour, he was ready to take it off. I switched to webbing and parachute clips. Easier to use and will stay put where I need things to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back