Making a full MJOLNIR suit for halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Biggs

Hi guys, I'm Jake Turner from Franklinton, NC. I'm a senior in my home(homeschooled- don't ask, i know it's wierd as hell), so i have a lot of time on my hands after school is up, something to the tune of 6 hours a weekday.

ive always wanted to make a stormtrooper costume, but that got pushed aside when i saw Spartan armor for sale on ebay. i kept that in mind until a friend suggested i should make some for a halloween party. so i googled up "spartan armor tutorial, and this was the only site i found with extremely comprehensive information. the Pepakura is invaluable to me, cosidering i was going to peice it all together from hand-drawings. so i have roughly 4 weeks to work on this suit.

i plan to start with the helmet, because i can always go as "Master CPO John-117 on vacation" (if i cant do a whole suit), wearing hawiian-style clothing(they guy saved the world, he gets a break, right? i havent played halo 3 yet so if Chief died, please keep that to yourselves). then i will move on to the chest armor, arms and such. The biggest problem for me will be getting things- buying stuff online is a pain since my parents don't help me, and i can't usually get any materials until a weekend. so technically i have 3 weeks come this saturday. so i think i might be working on every piece of the suit at once. i won't have any money until i trade my old DS phat in at the gamestop, so all i can do currently is print out as much of the armor as i can. I plan to get something similar to Chief green, does anyone have reccommendations for paint?(i.e a single color or multiple layers of colors) I have some decent experince in electronics, i plan to mount a dual fan system in the helmet, and possibly some lights on each side. i also plan to try and rig up a chin activator in the helmet for a walkie talkie system, just for giggles and pwnage.

As i said earlier, i'm not able to get anything online. so will i be able to get the resin, fiberglass, and Helmet visor at places like walmart or lowes/home depot? also, since i have cardstock, how necessary is the fiberglass? this is all new to a guy who vacuum-forms. I can't wait to get so much as an arm completed. if all goes well, and i still have some time and money left, i plan to convert a electric automatic airsoft gun into a SMG(big hopes, i know. i tend to aim high when i know not of what i speak.:D )

oops. looks like that sticky was the only one i didnt get to. :cautious: thanks!

So my questions are answered except for the paint. what colors should i use to get something close to spartan green? all i can find in the walmart is Emerald green, a little too dark for my preferences.

BTW Sigma, is that your suit in that avatar? looks amazing.

ok first off wat the hell is pepakura??!!! cuz i need stuf if it works and were dod i get it all i got is do it best and waly word :) i need ansers fast almorst holoween and i gor cest done wilth card bord and paper macse or wat ever u call it and same with back part (even tho i would like it to lokk better
) :cautious: i got uper legs done well all most and guest wat i use italin olive be for i found this site lol!
any way haveing troble on lower legs and helmet o and my arms suck need to make them better same with back :cautious: thx guys plz reply :cool:

rvb24 said:
ok first off wat the hell is pepakura??!!! cuz i need stuf if it works and were dod i get it all i got is do it best and waly word :) i need ansers fast almorst holoween and i gor cest done wilth card bord and paper macse or wat ever u call it and same with back part (even tho i would like it to lokk better
) :cautious: i got uper legs done well all most and guest wat i use italin olive be for i found this site lol!
any way haveing troble on lower legs and helmet o and my arms suck need to make them better same with back :cautious: thx guys plz reply :cool:
Um look at the stickies? It says it right there PEPAKURA

Last edited by a moderator:
rvb24 said:
Lift hand
Insert to forhead
Sigh.

rvb24 said:
Try english.

Is there any particular reason this kind of sh1t always happens in my threads? :rolleyes

anywho, i traded in my DS phat yesterday, i got 28 bucks for it. :cautious: that brings my project fund up to 40 bucks. would that buy enough resin to do all the armor? i think i might have to talk to some guys i know that work in body shops to see if i can score some cheap resin/fiberglass. i still have no idea what i'll do for a visor. i dont have any cash headed my way soon, and i know my parents won't be giving me any, considering they have yet to pay for my next SAT and college application.

i printed out all the pieces from the MC-Helmet.pdo file, after putting down settings for letter-size paper and using the scaling formula based on my height. i'm 6 foot even, so i calculated for 72 inches plus 2 inches. with that scale, i couldnt get my head through the opening. my younger brother, somewhere around 5 foot couldnt do it. the scale i got was a little over 26. do i need to trim off part of the neck? out of curiousity, i printed out only the neck piece of the helmet(the pieces that go around the neck opening), without putting in a new scale. it just went snugly around my head. i believe the original scale for the helmet was something like 30/31. i'll try to print the chest armor over the weekend and see what needs doing.

You could try trimming off part of the neck piece and see if that helps. But the helmet scale is usually different from the rest of your body. I used a master scale of 24.7 but did the helmet at 29 or 30 (can't remember which). The first helmet I did ended up being just the right size for a garden gnome...

thanks boomer, i'll keep that in mind. i hope to get some resin and cardstock tomorrow, i think i'll start with the right arm. i might not do Chief green, i might do my multiplayer variant(emerald green with orange subpieces) just for expedience's sake. my dad is VP of a construction company, and wants me to help design a site for them. in return? i'm asking for a gold HJC visor. :D

dude, there's no excuse to homeschool a kid unless the teachers at a school are banging students(i wouldnt have much of a problem, there's some cute teacher's near my place) or they're showing up drunk every day. or if the kid has some kind of condition. my parents do this to me because they don't want me being "exposed" to the world( i.e. "ghetto culture") too bad for them i like every bit of what they hate. :D i play guitar too loud, i wear my fitted with a tilt to the right, my jeans are one size larger, i say aint without a second thought, and i read two books a year.

I am such a bastard.

anywho, i'll post later today if i can get to lowes and find some resin.

of course i didn't get to lowes today. didnt expect my mom to get me there, she only drives to church. but dad had a "good excuse". today's the start of muzzleloader season for deer. :mad:

if i put 5 hours a weekday and all weekend on this thing, could i pull it off in 3 weeks?

Ok, i bought a 150 pack of cardstock yesterday(didnt have A4, so im stuck with legal), a quart of resin and two 25 foot rolls of 6 inch fiberglass tape. i know it's used for drywall repair, but if i double up it will work out. i got my helmet half assembled in 7 hours yesterday. it's taking me longer because my printer printed about 7 sheets before it began to run out of ink. :mad: so on some sheets i can't even see the numbers printed, so i have to look at the smaller plain paper helmet i made for reference.

while i was in the paint section, i noticed that they have nothing other than emerald green. i need to check my local hardware store for some more colors.

Fiberglass tape isnt good, better to use giberglass cloth, a big difference in material, cloth is like a woven blanket thats super strong, fiberglass tape is just fibers blues together into a tape.....it may work, but may not be as sturdy.

AoBfrost said:
Fiberglass tape isnt good, better to use giberglass cloth, a big difference in material, cloth is like a woven blanket thats super strong, fiberglass tape is just fibers blues together into a tape.....it may work, but may not be as sturdy.

Yup, I agree, the thin stuff is used for taping the overlapping edges of cloth. Good for securing and making even edges but not practical for the whole deal. You should be able to find the cloth at a hardware store (like Ace) or at an automotive supply like Advance Auto or Auto Zone.

You can do it, I've seen someone finish their pep in a week with the right amount of dedication! (and lack of sleep)

G'luck!
:devil:
-Vex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back