Making a suit for paintball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, ALL the molded armor can support paintball, you just need to add a cleaner on your armor and, with that, the paintball ball will NOT stick on your armor

Moz said:
Do whatever you want but
DO NO RELY ON THE VISOR TO PROTECT YOUR EYES, USE PROPER EYE PROTECTION. WEAR THE GOOGLES INSIDE THE HELMET AND EITHER FIND A WAY TO MOUNT THE VISOR TO THE GOGGLES OR USE NO VISOR AT ALL.

MOTORCYCLE SHIELDS WILL SPALL, SENDING SMALL PLASTIC SHARDS INTO YOUR EYES.
Definetly and don't tale those goggles (or face mask off). My friend is now blind in one eye,from a paintball. She took her face mask off for a second and one of the guys hit her in the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question, I was reading links marine helmet thread with the hockey helmet and bondo. I am an airsofter and I was wondering if I can mold an ODST helm bottom with bondo and resining it? would it be hard enough without the resin shattering on me?

ok, I just figured out a solution, carbon fiber is the way to go.

It is very light, and very strong, they make paintball gear out of carbon fiber which sells for quit a bit, I have a 16 in. carbon fiber barrel on my PMR and the thing works beautifully. Thats not all, carbon fiber is becoming increasingly used, it's used in airplanes, sports gear, other uses which I forgot.

of course, I don't really know the process needed to make carbon fiber, but I suggest you do a bit of research into it on wikipedia or google. Making it is one thing, but if what I remember is correct, you could possibly make it the same way as molding other plastics, just replace the plastic you might use with carbon fiber. In any case, carbon fiber will easily stand up to paintball, and it will NOT slow you down too much being incredibly light-weight, also, by drilling small vents around the armor, it is possible to stop the over-heating. As for a lens, I was thinking you could custom order or buy a very large paintball-type visor, then cut it out into the shape you need, get some special paints or tape to get the gold tint, and maybe use the duel visor technique to create the pattern, it works double well because you get extra protection with duel visors.

PillowFire said:
ok, I just figured out a solution, carbon fiber is the way to go.

It is very light, and very strong, they make paintball gear out of carbon fiber which sells for quit a bit, I have a 16 in. carbon fiber barrel on my PMR and the thing works beautifully. Thats not all, carbon fiber is becoming increasingly used, it's used in airplanes, sports gear, other uses which I forgot.

of course, I don't really know the process needed to make carbon fiber, but I suggest you do a bit of research into it on wikipedia or google. Making it is one thing, but if what I remember is correct, you could possibly make it the same way as molding other plastics, just replace the plastic you might use with carbon fiber. In any case, carbon fiber will easily stand up to paintball, and it will NOT slow you down too much being incredibly light-weight, also, by drilling small vents around the armor, it is possible to stop the over-heating. As for a lens, I was thinking you could custom order or buy a very large paintball-type visor, then cut it out into the shape you need, get some special paints or tape to get the gold tint, and maybe use the duel visor technique to create the pattern, it works double well because you get extra protection with duel visors.
Check this site for your carbon fiber supplies. It's down near the bottom of the page. They also have all the other stuff you'll need :)

For paintballing, molded or laminated armor really isn't the answer. Cardboard & ductape will stop a paintball, it's the running, jumping, & rolling around that'll completely trash it, & any of the other common methods.

The #1 material & method for durable 'sporting' armor, is vacformed Kydex. It's the plastic used for Sampsonite luggage, & a great majority of the hockey, biking, and other impact sports equiptment out there...

For the most part, it works just like styrene or ABS when it comes to cutting & vacforming, except it takes a higher heat and more vacum pressure to pull it over the bucks. Once it's cooled, you can beat it with a hammer all day long.

So... When it comes to vacforming, styrene for looks, cheapest. ABS for decent strength & durability, aboiut twice as much as styrene cost-wise. Kydex for the adreniline crazed... You might get mangled, but your armor will still look great... About 2 to 3 times as expensive as ABS...

I use 1mm styrene for most of my prop & costume forming. Most of the more durable 'trooper' type armor uses 2mm, which gives a fairly durable piece. A 4' x 8' sheet of 1mm to 2mm styrene should run you about $20 to $35 a sheet, depending on your supplier. I recommend finding one as close as possible, as shipping can cost more than the plastic. Look in the yellow pages under plastic suppliers / manufacturers... Most suppliers can provide styrene in a few different colors besides white... I usualy get all mine in black, but I've seen green, tan, gray, red, etc...

If you are careful, you can get an entire suit out of one sheet. I recommend a 2' x 2' forming table & frame, & if you have the ability, a matching heater. I've built several of both, usualy costing less than $30 for both heater & vac table...
My first one was built for free out of an old space-heater, a broken vacum cleaner, & some scrap wood. I use 3 different rigs right now, my original 'scrapper' which is sized for plastruct/evergreen sheets (12"x7") & can be adapted for 12"x12", my medium which is 12"x18", & my large which is 18"x24"... I built the last 2 specificly sized for a batch of styrene I got that was precut to 18x24... I've got materials set aside for doing a 24X24 next month for larger projects...

I have 2 excellent 'how-to' books on vacforming, from making your own heater, to everything else... It's suprisingly easy... It's also suprising how fast you can go through alot of styrene when having fun... ;) I'll run them through my scanner & get them online...

Wolf

I can promise you my cardboard armor will hold against paintballs. And will endure the thrashing and maneuvering required in the game.

chest-harness004.jpg

A lot of layers, evenly cut and glued, proper angles, coated with guerrilla tape. GUERRILLA TAPE! This is the key. Works better than duct and packaging tape. VERY DURABLE.

Cool idea.

I own a SIM-4 Elite, love paintball. Cool idea.

Leadingspartan said:
IT is almost impossible to make Spartan armor that will stand up to paintball, im pretty sure Seans, Adams, or anyone elses high quality "Tough" armor can even take a shot out of a custom tippman 98, or anyother ones. Most of the mods already said that it is impossible unless you use medal, witch would be 1) HOT 2) HEAVY and 3) gonna be hard to build. Hope that helps.

-leadingspartan.

Doesnt Blue Realm or Nightmare Armor Studios test there armor in paintball? i saw it in a video

That was Nightmare Armor Studios... and I don't know if you would call it testing.. so much as a guy running around in feild with a paintball gun, then humping his bud, funny vid though... but, its still pretty tough armor from what I hear...

You could always play red neck style... full face masks and jeans and t-shirts... speed ball in a field with hay bails... ouch (I'M OUT.... QUIT SHOOTING ME DANG IT!!!!!), just be ready for bruises and skin breaks...

reminds me of my last paint ball game.

i was at my friend's b-day party and didnt know we were paintballing.

so i wore shorts and a t-shirt. (LOL) i didnt even bring my gun. so i had to settle for a piece of crap. o_O

but yea... i got bruised all over my legs cuz they aimed at my legs for fun :( i got 5+ welts/bruises that day(each leg!). it hurt for a while. i wish i had a pictures :D

Cmakiej07 said:
I've nevr done this before never even made an MC armor set, i have no idea where to start, what to use, i was hoping someone could guide me to making a MC Suit for paintball, i saw the other thread only it wasnt to helpful, so some advice would be awesome.
Well, I know it's possible. Nightmare armor did it. They just used molded armor and plastic. The only really BIG concern is the visor. If you take a shot in the visor it might shatter or pop out of the mount(the thing holding it in). But yea, it's definitely possible.

This website and it's administrators do not recommend the use of costume armor for Paintball, Airsoft, or any other such athletic or ballistic activities.

Please exercise good judgement and consult a good psychiatrist/physician before engaging in any strenuous activity in homemade supersoldier costumes that could result in bodily harm and legal prosecution.

In short; play at your own risk, don't say we didn't warn you.

...... i have nothin to say but this.
Nightmare Armor Studios made armor for that but i dont think they're goin to sell or tell u how...

BenStreeper said:
not true there ar many ways to have armor that stands up to painball, Almost all of them however involve casting your armor. Many plastics are hard enough and light enough to make you concept work including but not limited to Tak 15 (what my armor is made from). However as for actually playing paintball in the armor I suggest still wearing goggles (as the lenses are the main problem) and to only wear the armor if everyone is (as you will move slower and be a bigger target)

I second these statements 110%.
It is possible with out using metal like someone had stated earlier, but it would have to be casted plastic peices (molded armor)
for example, Nightmare Armor Studios "battle test" their armor (saw a video where they were playing paintball) and they explain how they play paintball to test the armor.

So let this be solved, ITS POSSIBLE.
Just expensive, and probably not worth it for paintball. Bigger,harder target=paintballs favorite thing to hit.
The price for armor that can stand up to paintballs out weighs the benefits or anything else really.
Although MC at a paintball convention would be pretty sweet.

Halo Sells just like Sex Sells ;)

Good luck with your project dude

-Justin

hmm i put 2 layers of fiber glass about 1 foot in diameter on a peice of carboard to see if it could handle an airsoft gun at 330 fps, and a paintball gun

the cardboard didnt break, until you come pointblank with it haha... but a MC suit for paintball sounds like a bad idea. your really gonna have a tough time running, squating and what not,
ive heard people say they can barely stand 3 hours in one just walking.

if you make it from paintball gear, in my opinion; it may ressemble it but it wont look "badass"

all fine and dandy until...you waddle around the corner and theres some guy there who shoots you in the face breaking your 30$ visor then shoots you in the thigh..ooops cracked in half...then the rest of the team whos been hunting the dude in the cool lookin suit open fire...but sure if you wanna risk it...your problem...maybe if your lucky youll only have to replace 3-4 parts...just a waste of time and money...armor=for halloween and parties and whatever else you guys go to (conventions i dunno) not for paintball...Unless your NAS of course : p

Leadingspartan said:
IT is almost impossible to make Spartan armor that will stand up to paintball, im pretty sure Seans, Adams, or anyone elses high quality "Tough" armor can even take a shot out of a custom tippman 98, or anyother ones. Most of the mods already said that it is impossible unless you use medal, witch would be 1) HOT 2) HEAVY and 3) gonna be hard to build. Hope that helps.

-leadingspartan.

AoBfrost said:
It's gonna break on you when you use it for paintball, this isnt armor armor it's costuming armor, not for real impact or laying on and hiding.

What about airsoft, and fiberglassed armor?

Sean Bradley said:
This website and it's administrators do not recommend the use of costume armor for Paintball, Airsoft, or any other such athletic or ballistic activities.

Please exercise good judgement and consult a good psychiatrist/physician before engaging in any strenuous activity in homemade supersoldier costumes that could result in bodily harm and legal prosecution.

In short; play at your own risk, don't say we didn't warn you.

Psychatrist? LOL :p

Moz said:
Do whatever you want but
DO NO RELY ON THE VISOR TO PROTECT YOUR EYES, USE PROPER EYE PROTECTION. WEAR THE GOOGLES INSIDE THE HELMET AND EITHER FIND A WAY TO MOUNT THE VISOR TO THE GOGGLES OR USE NO VISOR AT ALL.

MOTORCYCLE SHIELDS WILL SPALL, SENDING SMALL PLASTIC SHARDS INTO YOUR EYES.

QFT ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back