Making My First Armor For Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamstar

With Halloween fast approaching I arrogantly thought I could crank out a quick set of GOW armor before it gets here.

After some reading up… and a lot of education, I thought it was best to change gears from being something pre-done, to something a little more original.

So I canned all of the drawings and cut-outs I had made

gallery_1_63_23467.jpg

gallery_1_63_60175.jpg

It didn’t take me long to figure out what to make, a death knight, or something along those lines.

It’s Monday, I go to work Thursday, and off again Monday… so I has 6 days to get this costume cranked.

Not much time to think about it… so I’ll show you where I’ve been, and where I’m at… work will continue on again Monday.

Also, while I’m working on this, I’m simultaneously working on the Cardinal guitar.

My first attempt was get a whoooooooole bunch of old newspapers

gallery_1_63_25150.jpg

Make some homemade glue

gallery_1_63_77746.jpg

gallery_1_63_43871.jpg

And paper mache that sucker.

One forearm later I realized that I don’t have time for this noise.

gallery_1_63_120954.jpg

Jen gave me a hand as I tried to make a plaster mold of my body

gallery_1_63_18600.jpg

Which failed once it came off.

Alright…

Next I made a cardboard cutout of my chest

gallery_1_63_65881.jpg

And fiberglassed it

gallery_1_63_107927.jpg

gallery_1_63_99803.jpg

It’s about as comfortable as listening in on your parents pillow talk.

Tick-tock the time is going…

With the failsauce that was the chest, I decided to cheat and bought this sporting thing (don’t ask me what it’s called) and started to build up the shoulders from there

gallery_1_63_107392.jpg

And glassed the shoulders

gallery_1_63_102584.jpg

Which after this next part was done, I realized I have to re-think… but more on that later.

I changed gears to what I think should be the hard part, the helm.

So with an old motorcycle helmet …

gallery_1_63_126359.jpg

…and cut that sucker into bits

gallery_1_63_105911.jpg

I’m going to focus on the head and go from there I think

So I start cutting out eye slots

gallery_1_63_108226.jpg

I start building up the helm in cardstock

gallery_1_63_51221.jpg

gallery_1_63_117498.jpg

You’ll see the design changes a few times, mostly it’s trial and error

At one point I concluded that I needed a rig mount as the project was growing beyond my desk… so I made one

gallery_1_63_3888.jpg

Mount in place, I continued to build up

gallery_1_63_103770.jpg

gallery_1_63_124689.jpg

gallery_1_63_83423.jpg

(you can see part of the guitar I’m working on in there lol)

gallery_1_63_33781.jpg

Let the glassing begin…

gallery_1_63_35271.jpg

gallery_1_63_27190.jpg

Set and dried, the next layer goes down…

gallery_1_63_4389.jpg

After that dries comes the “fun” layer.

This layer is fun because the lovely Jen helped me as we shredded up fiberglass sheets into thin strips and then I tore the fibers apart to make this rough “hair” looking stuff…

gallery_1_63_65328.jpg

gallery_1_63_93421.jpg

gallery_1_63_4521.jpg

On layer 4 of the “hair” (set & cure between layers)

gallery_1_63_40217.jpg

…and it’s shredding my chem. gloves… as well as my hands

gallery_1_63_42046.jpg

But by layer 5 it’s where I want to be

gallery_1_63_34962.jpg

gallery_1_63_88100.jpg

When dry I start cutting like an emo on prom night, and then start applying the base flat black

gallery_1_63_93895.jpg

I then start working in my silver range, my copper/gold range, and then some green and black highlights… after brushing in the colors I get my desired effect

gallery_1_63_51511.jpg

gallery_1_63_85129.jpg

gallery_1_63_77593.jpg

gallery_1_63_5177.jpg

The camera really doesn’t do it justice

With the helm down, I start on the shins… no reason in particular to go there and not the arms… I guess that the backpart was near my hands at the time.

So I bought these shin things

gallery_1_63_43437.jpg

And after I cut off a bit at the base to give a better travel.

Now these are going to be glassed, but this is impact ABS style plastic, and therefore the glass appliance my break off easily/cleanly.

To prevent this I drilled AP screws into them as anchorage points.

gallery_1_63_72110.jpg

And then I went with a random glass sheet layout carefully glassing the screws planes in the process.

gallery_1_63_135694.jpg

Once the glass cured, I cut off the excess screws (at random heights) so that I could start building up the appliance detail.

I then made a rough skull shape, and then banded the top of it to make a 3-D shape, and spent the next few hours sculpting that shape in hot glue

gallery_1_63_61153.jpg

A few layers of black… and then again with brushing in the colors the first shin looks like this

gallery_1_63_98657.jpg

With time being as short as it is, that’s where I’m at currently.

Soooo much more to do in such a short period of time.

This is my very first attempt at making anything armor or armor related, so it’s a lot of trial, error, error, more errors, trial again, errors, rinse repeat.

I know it wont be perfect, but it’s a first attempt in a very short period of time, and of the 4 or 5 trick or treaters we expect to get, I don’t think they’ll complain when they get a bagful of candy from the weird dude with this huge bobblehead looking costume on :D

It looks scary as hell . I like the details your adding . Might wanna sand some of those sharp areas down to give it a more finished look . For a scratch build it gets a 4out of 5 in my book considering how short a timeframe you have & what you're working with . cutting the helmet was a good idea .(hands you a box of band-aids:))

the vast majority of it is based off of the knight I drew for the tattoo on my leg

webwise I stole elements from this pic

deathknight.jpg

and this one

dkff3.jpg

I'm thinking about stealing chest ideas from this one (when I get around to making it)

DeathKnight-Undead.jpg

Wow. Truth be told, I in no way expected the transition from the first couple attempts to where you are currently.

That's pretty awesome for a touch-and-go on the spot project, you really MUST post more pictures of progress along the way, and if you finish in time - the end product in use.

Bloody amazing! At first the helm reminded me of the one that Sauron wore in LOTR, but now it has evolved into something truly frightening. If I saw you lurking outside someone's bushes on Haloween, ;) I'd probably flip out something sharp and back away very very quickly....

Nice job though

Cheers!

That is BEAST. I love the way the fiberglass gives it an awesome texture. Almost like Venom from spiderman.

Keep it up man, you are doing great!!

Sniperbaas392 said:
Bloody amazing! At first the helm reminded me of the one that Sauron wore in LOTR, but now it has evolved into something truly frightening. If I saw you lurking outside someone's bushes on Haloween, ;) I'd probably flip out something sharp and back away very very quickly....

Nice job though

Cheers!

Me too, except without the "o", and the "u" and the LOTR.

AKA, Saren from mass effect

Saren.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I ain't gonna lie... I was planning on coming in here and getting ready to do the "why did you wait one week away to do this" speech, but I just can't. This is an AWESOME idea, and it has pretty much inspired me to do a scratch build dk set of sorts. I would LOVE to see what you could do with this get up if you had say a month or two.

GREAT work, and kudos to you! it will be awesome when completed.

Zacky Panic said:
That's pretty awesome for a touch-and-go on the spot project

Thanks!

I wish I had found this site before now, you all have such amazing insight and ideas put into practice that had I have been here sooner, there would be a night and day difference to where I would be with this…

But this is my first project for armor… my next will be much more informed, and I hope a lot better!

Sniperbaas392 said:
Bloody amazing! At first the helm reminded me of the one that Sauron wore in LOTR…

I didn’t even think of looking at LOTR! Wish I would have now that you mention it! I loved his armor!

Spartan-343 said:
That is BEAST. I love the way the fiberglass gives it an awesome texture. Almost like Venom from spiderman.

This was actually a practiced method believe it or not.

A couple of years ago I took a commission to make a “Venom Guitar” where I did a sculpture on the guitar combining a toy from Walmart and hot glue

gallery_1_28_114029.jpg

On an funny note; he hated it and I ended up doing a simple paintjob

gallery_1_28_42256.jpg

bobbio555 said:
… Saren from mass effect…

I’ve never played that game… I’ve owned it once (never opened it), ended up giving it to a friend who wanted it, but couldn’t afford it at the time.

I may have to re-buy it and play it myself, that character looks awesome!

Liq said:
I ain't gonna lie... I was planning on coming in here and getting ready to do the "why did you wait one week away to do this" speech, but I just can't. This is an AWESOME idea, and it has pretty much inspired me to do a scratch build dk set of sorts. I would LOVE to see what you could do with this get up if you had say a month or two.

GREAT work, and kudos to you! it will be awesome when completed.

I’ve actually been hitting myself with that for a while

Jen and I were married on Halloween, and LAST YEAR I wanted to make my Klingon uniform (I was a Klingon for our wedding).

Life happened and the time went by without me making my armor.

Then I was going to do a tribute to Andy Hallett who played Lorne

lorne.jpg

Jen hated all of the work in last years costume (not the costume itself)

gallery_1_1_72659.jpg

(I made that out of hot glue and newspaper)

This gives me the experience to work on her armor, so it really works out :D

Thanks everyone for the awesome comments and feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
When does a project become a mission?

Let’s debrief…

I finished out the next shin and threw some base color on it.

gallery_1_63_55240.gif

gallery_1_63_50501.gif

While that cured, I bought some gloves

gallery_1_63_36305.gif

And added a light glassing to them so that I could attach armor pieces

gallery_1_63_12741.gif

While that cured I hacked up some guards

gallery_1_63_51444.gif

And sewed them together with crafting wire

gallery_1_63_75428.gif

It was mentioned that the helm looked “Mass Effect Inspired”, so I went out and bought the game… and to be funny, incorporated it into the armor in a more literal sense.

gallery_1_63_79296.gif

I hacked up the case and used it to square out the bracer a bit

gallery_1_63_23262.gif

Matched out the other side

gallery_1_63_11489.gif

Then I cut out a couple of skull shapes, and over the next forever hours… sculpted out a bracer to my liking

gallery_1_63_11501.gif

Added a base

gallery_1_63_68094.gif

Then the other side

gallery_1_63_66325.gif

I started on the boots while that cured

gallery_1_63_21912.gif

CD wallet now full as I started to destroy Xbox cases, I changed sites to the shoulders, testing the extension.

gallery_1_63_35946.gif

Do like… so lets doll it up a bit with some impact guards

I cut out a skull shape in poster board, then duct taped it in place

gallery_1_63_101782.gif

Cut my fiberglass cloth

gallery_1_63_74202.gif

Resined it for an under coat to make a hard base

gallery_1_63_61422.gif

Once hard I then cloth base glassed it

gallery_1_63_31812.gif

Then another coat of resin to strengthen

gallery_1_63_37916.gif

After curing it was back on my desk for placement of the next shoulder and to hand singing in pain hours of sculpting…

gallery_1_63_73008.gif

Being night now, I’m glassing it in the basement (to the Joy of Jen and Amy)

gallery_1_63_36112.gif

While side 2 gets the hard base, side 1 gets a base

gallery_1_63_95345.gif

gallery_1_63_22308.gif

A very long time ago when I learned how to glass I was given crap about too much resin and how if I bagged it… it would make me spend all day sanding.

But I want crazy lines and texture!

So I’m cheating with the resin to knock several tedious hours of sculpting off… I boogered that sucker up with a ton of overly mixed resin and bagged that sucker… then I played around with squirting even more resin in and textured it in the bag.

The pic does it no justice!

gallery_1_63_41503.gif

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand sculpt

gallery_1_63_33456.gif

gallery_1_63_80983.gif

So the gloves… RUINED!

I over saturated them, it was like a hand sculpture.

A new “new” pair of gloves later, I decided to go a better route. I boarded, hardened, sculpted

gallery_1_63_64213.gif

gallery_1_63_19083.gif

Based out

gallery_1_63_83323.gif

Heres it gripping

gallery_1_63_34346.gif

Remember that front I made? Cut it down, and now to place

gallery_1_63_37440.gif

Chevron 1 locked in place, I then start forming the back plate

gallery_1_63_22510.gif

While the hard base sets, I drop a base coat on the other shoulder, and start to dash in black into the cloth with spray paint

gallery_1_63_48435.gif

Back hardened, I then glass the hell out of it… I’m talking 4 sheets thick of glass as this is load bearing.

gallery_1_63_80214.gif

I was a Klingon for my wedding… and I decided to put a Klingon armor spine to the back as a meaningful gesture… there was entirely too much thought put into this, just going to throw that out there.

gallery_1_63_36979.gif

And I’ve officially outgrown the desk based model tree that I made for the helmet… it’s time to pull out the 2x’s and start making an all new base

gallery_1_63_18916.gif

Now to marry the back to the shoulders.

gallery_1_63_22094.gif

This is load bearing, so there are some decent bolts used.

Beyond tired, I forget to take pics of the cardboard chest… or the hardening base.

I did snap off a glassing shot

gallery_1_63_36599.gif

There are several glassing session in that image. There’s a lot of structure made there to support the top, and there’s a belt path (I forgot to mention I pathed out the back as well).

While the back cured I laid out my paint arsenal

gallery_1_63_11189.gif

And worked out the right “recipe” for color

Which gave me time to glass the front of the chest and use the plastic boogering up technique I’ve come to appreciate so very, very much at this point.

gallery_1_63_23522.gif

Time to bring the texture home…

gallery_1_63_71174.gif

gallery_1_63_24248.gif

gallery_1_63_107607.gif

gallery_1_63_48360.gif

gallery_1_63_49352.gif

gallery_1_63_92562.gif

gallery_1_63_52409.gif

I know I’m skipping a whole heck of a lot of steps, but it’s still an awfully long update despite it

Back painted…

gallery_1_63_47143.gif

Sides

gallery_1_63_69485.gif

gallery_1_63_7689.gif

Chest glass final

gallery_1_63_31109.gif

I sacrificed one of my new pairs of BDU’s (tear) and yes, I painted them

gallery_1_63_31210.gif

After almost falling asleep working on it… I managed to finish sculpting out the chest and based it

gallery_1_63_45430.gif

Mounts for the chest created & bolted

gallery_1_63_47622.gif

I’m level 50, so a quick pop by city hall for the cape mish

gallery_1_63_1974.gif

Cut and detailed the chest

gallery_1_63_22599.gif

And I finally get to put it on to test!!

Insert iceburg to dampen the hell outta this pleasure cruise.

I’m suited up… walking… CRAAAACK

The ski boots… BROKE!!

gallery_1_63_95539.gif

But I leave for the office in 23 minutes!!!!

A suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupper quick fix

gallery_1_63_38184.gif

Bolt bolt… rivet rivet…

gallery_1_63_23533.gif

paint paint and out the door I go

I pulled up to the office with 20 min to suit up just smelling of paint.

I get on the main floor, and the other boot fails, breaks and that was that. So tonight when I get home I have to make some new footwear.

And that’s where I’m at.

That’s right… all those pics and the important one of me wearing it not to be had.

Well not tonight at any rate.

to be concluded…

I’m sorry for neglecting to post what happened with the armor, all the effort I put into it, and the day fell apart, our anniversary went significantly not as planned. I was so heart broken/crushed that I didn’t even bother uploading pics of me in the armor I created for that day.

The thing is that I never put the armor on for our anniversary and the only pic I have of me in it was when I was at the office and not in full makeup or anything.

it was a half assed threw on the basic parts thing and not me in costume.

Here is a pic taken of me in the costume at work…

gallery_1_63_97497.jpg

At the office I made it up to my desk before those ski boots gave out, which is why I’m in my standard combat boot in the shot.

This is what they looked like semi-assembled when I got home

gallery_1_63_52160.gif

The pic was on the 30th… and after work I rushed home and started working on the boot issue in time for Halloween day/night.

I pulled out my most favorite pair of $#!T kickers, and Dremel-Jay… then started cutting on the boots to beat hell.

gallery_1_63_1587.gif

I then took the parts and attached them to my shoes with pop rivets, hot glue, fiberglass resin, and irritation.

I double deuced the hot glue guns and just as a tribute to the boot that broke, I made one slightly crooked… you can only tell if you look at the top, but I twisted it until it got to the uncomfortable point, ratcheted it back a ¼ twist and put that sucker there.

I like to put meaning into my work.

Here’s the raw shot of the “boots”

gallery_1_63_108593.gif

gallery_1_63_15737.gif

I based them out in black

gallery_1_63_75252.gif

gallery_1_63_98670.gif

gallery_1_63_50574.gif

gallery_1_63_108397.gif

Then I did a detail to each to match the rest of the armor

gallery_1_63_93013.gif

gallery_1_63_28493.gif

gallery_1_63_73293.gif

gallery_1_63_81578.gif

I put them on, ran up and down the stairs in them… they were so much more comfortable than the ski boots… but then again they are now based out of my favorite pair of Columbia hiking shoes, so I guess they would be.

Now at this point some of you know how very horrible things went, and although at this point the costume is ready for Halloween night… it was never worn and the story should end there.

But this armor is one comment from having life breathed back into it.

At home and in between coats of paint on the Cardinal guitar, I asked myself what I disliked the most about the armor… and it’s the helmet. I’m gonna junk it, or if someone in MN wants it before I throw it away…

I pulled out some stock and started drawing angles.

gallery_1_63_72465.gif

And then I start making a mockup helm based off of the shape of my head and not some ancient motorcycle helmet.

gallery_1_63_31063.gif

I started to build up off of it

gallery_1_63_53769.gif

gallery_1_63_92713.gif

Hated it, and cut it back down…

gallery_1_63_34267.gif

gallery_1_63_71775.gif

Then tossed it.

No, this isn’t right… that looked like some sort of bastardized autobot… and the motorcycle one that I built was accused of looking like a bionic something or other.

This thing is supposed to fit me.

I have a skull theme thing going, and why am I looking to examples online??

Screw that, I suck at it, I’m going to scratch it… I take out a caliper and start working out where my eyes and nose are…

gallery_1_63_52350.gif

I start drawing a bit more off of that

gallery_1_63_66314.gif

Bear in mind that I’m running up and down the stairs at this point painting on a guitar and making this thing in between.

Sparing the blanks and the failures we’ll move straight to mocking…

After I’ve made a helm that has juuuuuust enough room for padding, I then clothed it out

gallery_1_63_36371.gif

gallery_1_63_17456.gif

gallery_1_63_42824.gif

What you may or may not have noticed is the jaw.

The jaw conforms to my jaw. It goes in, but since it goes in if I glass it I can never get it over my huge melon, so instead I built the jaw out of hot glue.

The jaw is flexible and will allow me to get the helm on, yet based out so it’s ridged enough to hold shape.

I thought it was clever :D

And then I started glassing

gallery_1_63_2252.gif

gallery_1_63_94148.gif

gallery_1_63_80746.gif

Now this is where I’m at as of this posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back