Making my Helmet for Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've had this site book marked for a long time, but now that Halloween is finally coming up, I want to make myself a Mjolnir helmet with the Pepakura. My question is, what is the best way to strengthen the helmet without using resin or anything. I was thinking of Paper Mache, but that would probably be weak. I read on here that using Muslin Cloth is good as well. What should I use? Also, once I make the helmet out of Cardstock, do I just do the Mache or Muslin right onto that or do I need take any other steps first? And what do I put inside of the helmet? (Besides my head :p) Thanks

CanadianWarMoose said:
Well I've had this site book marked for a long time, but now that Halloween is finally coming up, I want to make myself a Mjolnir helmet with the Pepakura. My question is, what is the best way to strengthen the helmet without using resin or anything. I was thinking of Paper Mache, but that would probably be weak. I read on here that using Muslin Cloth is good as well. What should I use? Also, once I make the helmet out of Cardstock, do I just do the Mache or Muslin right onto that or do I need take any other steps first? And what do I put inside of the helmet? (Besides my head :p) Thanks
One more thing I wanted ask was what should I use for a visor, apart from that 40 dollar motorcycle mask? I don't mind spending 10 bucks or so on it if it looks good, but 40 is too much. Any alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
paper mache is gona be really delicate and hard to paint and detail, unless ur going with really thin paper like toilet paper
but it'll stil lbe difficult to shape because it's soggy sheets of paper in diluted glue...

one i've had in mind was plaster cloth.
u know the crap they use to make casts?
not that expensive, u can probly get it in hobby shops or even walmart

hope it helps.

you can use the muslin cloth but it will soak your card stock and make it weak for a little.... i saw some where u still have to resin it :\

if you can, seal the paper somehow. ie glue or even floor varnish that way itll stand up better to getting covered in wet paper/cloth.(ide recomend floor varnish thickened with a TINEY ammount of something like flour or even that realy fine ash you get from you fire. be careful doe, if you add to much at a time and dont stirr propperly you get something resembling chunky vomit. :cautious:

good luck dude

Would It work if I just brushed the Cardstock with a paper mache mixture directly, and then do the Muslin Cloth? Also if I do use Mache, what is the best mixture? I have heard glue and flour both work.

CanadianWarMoose said:
Would It work if I just brushed the Cardstock with a paper mache mixture directly, and then do the Muslin Cloth? Also if I do use Mache, what is the best mixture? I have heard glue and flour both work.

yup but youd need to do it in small ammounts at a time to stop it from warping or even colapsing. i found the best stuff for mache is wallpaper past. its quite cheep and a small amount of the powder mixes up a lot of glue. i would definatly seal the peper first. even a light coat of acrylic on the inside and out would realy help it stand up to getting soaked in watery glue.

Spartan-129 said:
Ascitate (sp?) , A thin, coloured card and see-through material works well for simple visors.
Acitate
Asitate
Acetate I think, and that's what I was thinking of getting, it won't look totally realistic, but it's yellow and see through. Thanks for the help guys, Ill look out for some sealing paint or something of the like. I'm trying to avoid chemicals/smelly things because they bother me.

Just so you know, paper mache isn't as weak as you think

If you use a technique called pulping, it'll turn out as hard as resin.
Take newspaper, soak it in a bucket of water overnight. The next day scoop the pulp out, squeeze it dry, and mix in your glue (water/glue or water/flour is fine, but wallpaper paste works the best)
This will create a fiberous putty which you can use to sculpt over your armor forms.
Warning, it will take several days to dry, but when it does, you'll be surprise at how sturdy it is.

I've made my helmet with the pulping method, and I can actually punch it at full force without a dent.
Just thought you'd like to know.

PyroPenguins said:

Take newspaper, soak it in a bucket of water overnight. The next day scoop the pulp out, squeeze it dry, and mix in your glue (water/glue or water/flour is fine, but wallpaper paste works the best)
This will create a fiberous putty which you can use to sculpt over your armor forms.
Warning, it will take several days to dry, but when it does, you'll be surprise at how sturdy it is.

I've made my helmet with the pulping method, and I can actually punch it at full force without a dent.

Did you apply this to both sides, or just one (and which one if yes) ?
I've been reading up on alternates to fiberglass (my skin and lungs have an extreme reaction to it) and this one sounds pretty good.

PyroPenguins said:

This looks like the perfect thing for the armor... What do you guys think?

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=gc0585

You should check out their full products.... A lot of fiberglass alternatives....

http://www.activaproducts.com/productline.htm

Gigantor28 said:
This looks like the perfect thing for the armor... What do you guys think?

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=gc0585

You should check out their full products.... A lot of fiberglass alternatives....

http://www.activaproducts.com/productline.htm
Thanks man, you have no idea how perfect that is, Michaels is where I was going to get all my stuff, there is one 20 minutes from me! I'm going to have a little look around and see what I can find. If I can, my steps will probably be: Some Sort of Sealing paint over the Cardstock, followed by Muslin and Paper Mache. On that note, what should I do first, the Muslin Cloth or the Paper Mache? Or just one or the other?

PyroPenguins said:

I agree here. I've user Paper Mache in several smaller armor projects, as well as weapons, and I've had some good results. You can sand it, mold it layer it as needed. It's also good for hiding wriring in, and is sturdy enough to be bolted. Well done paper mache has about the strength of particle board. I recomend user the pulp technique from PyroPenguin, or if you would rather use strips, then user several layers and finish off witha layer of mache made from tissue paper. The one thing I can't stress enough is add a layer of sealent!! Otherwise all your hard work goes to waste when the armor gets wet. :oops:

pensive_toast said:
I agree here. I've user Paper Mache in several smaller armor projects, as well as weapons, and I've had some good results. You can sand it, mold it layer it as needed. It's also good for hiding wriring in, and is sturdy enough to be bolted. Well done paper mache has about the strength of particle board. I recomend user the pulp technique from PyroPenguin, or if you would rather use strips, then user several layers and finish off witha layer of mache made from tissue paper. The one thing I can't stress enough is add a layer of sealent!! Otherwise all your hard work goes to waste when the armor gets wet. :oops:
Oh so the pulp method works that well? That's great then. What do you think would would be best then, the pulp mache, or that kit from Michaels that was posted previously?

Homemade pulp will be cheaper than any kit Michael's can sell you; all you need is the stack of newspaper, a bag of flour, and a bucket.

Use Muslin Cloth as a base, if you plan to use it at all: it creates a porous texture for the pulp to attatch to. If you aren't using muslin, it is usually best to lay down a layer of paper mache strips on the surface you're covering so that the pulp has something to cling to.

As for which side, I only pulped the outside of my helmet and it worked fine. Inside and outside layers would create an even sturdier final product, I would assume.

PyroPenguins said:
Homemade pulp will be cheaper than any kit Michael's can sell you; all you need is the stack of newspaper, a bag of flour, and a bucket.

Use Muslin Cloth as a base, if you plan to use it at all: it creates a porous texture for the pulp to attatch to. If you aren't using muslin, it is usually best to lay down a layer of paper mache strips on the surface you're covering so that the pulp has something to cling to.

As for which side, I only pulped the outside of my helmet and it worked fine. Inside and outside layers would create an even sturdier final product, I would assume.
That sounds like a good idea then. I think ill do it in this order: Seal it with some sort of sealing paint/spray, Apply the Muslin Cloth with Glue and Water, Pulp Mache with Flour and Water, Paint it!

CanadianWarMoose said:
Thanks man, you have no idea how perfect that is, Michaels is where I was going to get all my stuff, there is one 20 minutes from me! I'm going to have a little look around and see what I can find. If I can, my steps will probably be: Some Sort of Sealing paint over the Cardstock, followed by Muslin and Paper Mache. On that note, what should I do first, the Muslin Cloth or the Paper Mache? Or just one or the other?

Let us know how you fair out with those products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back