Props Making the Hyabusa katana

Status
Not open for further replies.
NZ-TK said:
also, its never a good idea to back chat mods.
Why!?! Why do you always have to add that little snippy part at the end of your posts! Anyway, I'll move on for the sake of the rest of your post. (I'm assuming that was meant to say "back-talk chat mods"...)

Cool Dragon Sword, but again with the steel not being allowed into a convention. As for the first one, that's exactly what I'm looking for! (y) I'm assuming they did one side up in clay, then flipped it when they got the first half done? Anyone agree/disagree? I can't devise any other way by brainstorming myself...

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Why not just ask someone to make a pep file of the Hayabusa sword? When you resin/fiberglass and all that, you should be able to make a pretty realistic looking prop!
It'd be nice if someone did, but I don't wanna bug people to take time out of what they're doing. Plus, molding (or buying those wooden ones) yields a fast way to make em all, instead of doing them one by one out of pep.

leegrisham said:
This is off topic but watching that video of making the knife was amazing.
I was watching with the sound off and after the fade I couldn't tell the difference between the two.
I know right! That's what I'm hoping for....some good detail like that (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Tim, only 20K for your instructor's sword?(70K layer hand-forged?) He could of gotten a genuine Masamune made blade for 100K. -JK

And Mystic. I guarantee Tim's not being snippy. He's the closest thing to a real ninja mod we got.

Respect the hammer wielder's. :tutu:

I gotta look into getting one of those Ryu replicas. I mean, what good is having the Hayabusa perm without the sword right? :D

Personally I think that you should get the el-cheapo replica. Take it apart and replace the blade with one of those wooden practice katanas (those used in Kendo) and use some Rub-N-Buff to make it look like real steel.

As for the first one, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I'm assuming they did one side up in clay, then flipped it when they got the first half done?

Thats about the gist of it. the only thing I'd do differently is I'd use glass marbles to make the keys, embed them in the clay slightly under half way, so when you make up the mould your keys sort of pop together. You want lots of keys, to prevent any sideways movement that would leave you with a really nasty mould line.

Sigma-LS said:
Personally I think that you should get the el-cheapo replica. Take it apart and replace the blade with one of those wooden practice katanas (those used in Kendo) and use some Rub-N-Buff to make it look like real steel.
I agree with this. Go to a flea market and pick one up. I usually see them for around 20$.

NZ-TK said:
Now back on topic, for about $25 you can buy a replica of Ryu Hayabusa's Dragon Sword from Ninja Gaiden, one could assume its the same sword as the one in halo, or at least very similar
also, its never a good idea to back chat mods.

Yeah, It's the same sword. Pretty much the same helmet too. (duh)

cant you just buy a sword and attach it some how to the back piece of the armor but that might be just for jen con

In cons its to wear a sword but it got to be seathed

xalener said:
Yeah, It's the same sword. Pretty much the same helmet too. (duh)

Well.... that was pretty much implied by what I said but, ok. The helmets have very little in common other than the obvious homage in the design.

you know you can just buy a wood one. There is a shop in the mall that sells wood and real ones and the wood ones look just fine. I think they are like Japanese practice katanas.

Try these Practice Katana

I have been wanting to do this for quite a long time now. So if someone could upload a file of the halo 3 katana for pepakura software then that will be awsome.

Good luck in making the mould, hope it goes well for you the first time (at making the mould for the katana) :D

I'm actually a Japanese Martial Arts instructor, and let me make a Small Suggestion.

rather than going through the expense of materials and the time, unless you really want to, LOOK ONLINE!

there are tons of martial surplus stores around that you can buy a 32' katana for 30-50 dollars. some sell display only swords for much less. and when you buy one....it will come out of the sheath.

just a thought,

-Spartan 69-

-Spartan 069- said:
I'm actually a Japanese Martial Arts instructor, and let me make a Small Suggestion.

rather than going through the expense of materials and the time, unless you really want to, LOOK ONLINE!

there are tons of martial surplus stores around that you can buy a 32' katana for 30-50 dollars. some sell display only swords for much less. and when you buy one....it will come out of the sheath.

just a thought,

-Spartan 69-
He wants one that is Convo-friendly ;)

-Spartan 069- said:

Convention, Con probably would have been a better abbreviation ;)

Edit: What's up with the smilies? They don't seem to be working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back