Marines, Master Chief's crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightstar

I was wondering about everyones feelings about Marine armor? Personally, I'd like to see some Marines with folks in MJOLNIR armor. I am partial to Sgt. Johnson myself, not to single out the other Marines, and would really like to do this. Question is which version? Halo or Halo 2? I'll post some pics later so until then let me get your thoughts people.

I'm really kinda' partial to the Halo 1 Marines.

I definately don't like the black motorcycle guys from halo 2. The other ones maybe.. but not the full face helmeted ones.

Halo 1 marines seem easier to make, and are more original and distinct.. you can't mistake them for the guards at the end of Resident Evil 2, or generic low-budget scifi "space soldiers".

I keep thinking about making a few Marine costumes to get some friends to tag along with me in armor for the Christmas stuff I'm slated to do this year.

The only problem is that without guns, they just don't look right, but some places wont let you use fake guns if they're realistic looking. Wooden, flat blanks do ok, I guess, for those situations.

Thank you all for your input and feel free to keep it coming. I am not much for the ODST troopers, though some are and that is okay. I have to agree that the HALO version one UNSC Marines are my favorite and it would seem like they would be easier to make.

The question becomes by what means is best to make the armor? Sculpting and molding, Foam and Styrene, Cardboard and Bondo? I have a few ideas for the clothing under the hard armor (e.g. OD greens, boots). I want to hear what others with more experience would recommend.

Here are some in game and action figure shots I found on the web.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/dep8648/UNSC%20MARINE/

I think most of us are partial to the mediums we're used to using.

That being said, the thinness of the armor material really kinda' lends itself to plastic. Parts of it wouldn't even need to be vacuum formed, just bent-over with a heat gun if it's thick enough.

Fiberglassed cardboard might be good too, but I have no experience with it (yet)..

I was thinking about doing the shoulders and thighs out of aluminum though. It wouldn't be hard to do, assuming you have shears, or at least a jigsaw. I have a throatless beverly shear at the shop, and could cut it out of aluminum faster than I can make a post about it.

The shoulders just SCREAM aluminum stopsign to me.. which isn't something I'd personally use.. but I bet I'll run into someone one day that'll do that. I've seen 'em make SCA armor out of streetsigns before.

One thing I've been talking to Rob (over at steeldreams) about. We could easily make the "harder" parts and make them availible as parts to assist folks that don't want to go through the process of making their own vacuum former, or have trouble with molds, dangers of fiberglassing, etc..

It's not high on the official list at the shop, but it's kinda' high on my personal list.

link4044 said:
i like the Marines from halo wars also

Need some clear screen shots than what was in the Trailer. I can't disagree that they Marines in Halo Wars do look impressive. I think making that armor, for me anyway, is just a little above my skill level. I don't want that to stop me or anyone else for that matter. I just like the armor in the first Halo game. Personally I think you, link4044, could pull off the leg and arm armor off well.

I'm thinking of using some close-cell foam and Styrene combo for most of this armor. I'm still thinking of how I will make and mount the chest armor. The thigh armor will be interesting to attach to the pants, but I will think of something or at least post about it. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
i can do the helmets and the armor, it will take some time on that i have other projects that i have to finsh 1st...

the armoryou can strap it on like a bookbag or like a vest

link4044 said:
i can do the helmets and the armor, it will take some time on that i have other projects that i have to finsh 1st...

the armoryou can strap it on like a bookbag or like a vest

Sounds like a plan. I was thinking of mounting the armor on A.L.I.C.E. harness just like the ones we use for our Cobra Blue Suit Troopers. Just an idea. We can workout details like uniform (cloths under the armor) color, boots, other details so that everyone is uniform and on the same page.

in the trailer, the uniform is gray, the arnesses would be used to hold the plate of the chest, the things in thir shoulders are easy, i think i have some screen shots of that things ant the armor from the hands, the problem ise. Where can i get cheap boots?, and where can i get the polyestirene for the vacuumforming?

Spartan-224 said:
in the trailer, the uniform is gray, the arnesses would be used to hold the plate of the chest, the things in thir shoulders are easy, i think i have some screen shots of that things ant the armor from the hands, the problem ise. Where can i get cheap boots?, and where can i get the polyestirene for the vacuumforming?

For polyestyrene try here .
I don't know where to get cheap boots, but this style or others like it would be ideal.

well, I was going to recommend those exact boots fightstar posted. these might work well too, and I think they're cheap.

You could probably get a lot of help from Jango and Boba Fett costume forums. The set up is very similar to the Marines: Jumpsuit, flak vest, handing armor.

Reading this forum thread over here by Sean Bradley I realize that the weekend is great for time to think about ideas you had during the week. Reading some threads over at the TDH and thought about some really great ideas.

I'm going on the plan of doing the HALO 1 Marines here. Make a Vest for the chest and back armor to attach to instead of using a ALICE harness. Doesn't sound to revolutionary, but if you look at the pics of the Marines it looks like an Vest under their armor. Like a type of tactical vest or sorts. I think this could be done 'Boba Fett' style using snaps and sturdy black fabric.

I'm thinking making a separate deal for the neck collar. Similar to Boba Fett/Storm Troopers only half the hight and not as much fabric for the base.

I have some drawlings and sketches of the different sections I will have to post later. The problem I see for me will be the guantlets and shin parts. I have no experience in this so I think some one more professional will need to step in.

I'm big on this project because 1) I have yet to see a single Marine out there 2) I will not lie, cost. I love HALO, but the cost of making a Marine IMHO will be a lot cheaper than making a Spartin.

your thoughts?

Spartan-224 said:
the problem is that im in mexico :cry:

I wouldn't worry to much. We, as a group here on mjolnirarmor.com, can come up with something. If we have to ability to make MC's armor we have the ability to get you what you need.

this site should help you with some details on making your armor (look at jumpsuit, vest, snaps, etc.). The guy who runs the site is very knowledgable and he has helped me with some costuming stuff in the past. His contact info is on that page. best of luck.

Redsleighdown said:
this site should help you with some details on making your armor (look at jumpsuit, vest, snaps, etc.). The guy who runs the site is very knowledgable and he has helped me with some costuming stuff in the past. His contact info is on that page. best of luck.

Thanks! I check his site before, but I'll drop him an email and see what we can do. I also found this site here that will help with proportions and the such. I'll post some pics some time this week if I can of sketches and progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back