Mark V (B) Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed at how well you managed to rebuild the top front of the helmet! That is some really good work keep it up. Cant wait to see some more updates and the finished piece.

I'm impressed at how well you managed to rebuild the top front of the helmet! That is some really good work keep it up. Cant wait to see some more updates and the finished piece.

Seriously it took quite some time.

I made the decision of adding my new side project in this thread rather than opening up a new one. So here is my update on my new Commando helmet build.

This build was made possible thanks to jtm1997 for his modeling and DETHANIEL for the unfold.

I had been debating whether or not to hold off until i finish the MK V (B) but ive been slowing down on the bondo work and im getting a little bored of sanding for hours. So i think doing the two will keep me motivated and moving quickly.

here we go
IMG_0212.jpg

To start off ill show you all my method of folding the tabs. what i do is take a pen and press on the paper and trace along the dotted line. Normally i don't care much to mark the mountain folds differently than the valley folds. I usually just have the pep open and i fold according to the model in pepakura.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

First of all for this update i'm only showing a small section of the pep build. I will show you all the progress once i finish with the pep. secondly what im showing here is that i wanted to reinforce the card stock so that when i harden the helmet i dont have any sag in the paper. How im reinforcing it is by gluing a second sheet of card stock. the first layer is in blue and green card stock and the bottom layer is in pink. There are only a few areas where im doing this process, im hoping that by doing this the sharp lines stay and there will be minimal sanding and bondo involved in this build.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

So far i like the way this turned out. The two pieces are nice and solid. I cannot be sure how well this will work until i begin to harden the helmet.

So until then

looks great what glue do you use? not sure if youve answered that already

I use gorilla glue super glue gel. I'm sure any supper glue will work well or you can try hot glue, although im not sure how well that will work.

Sadly this week i have been preparing for finals so i haven't had much time to work on the Mk V. I have however finished up the pep of the commando helmet being that it took me a few hours to finish.

here is where it stands
IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Here is where i have a bone to pick. the helmet finished is far to narrow and looks nothing compared to the model on Pepakura. I believe i had done a fine job putting it together but it still didn't hold the shape i expected it to. To solve this a made a support to stretch the helmet out

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Also you get a glimpse of what areas i doubled up on the card stock.

reach_9508600_Full.jpg

As you can see the helmet is a bit wide.

Also i took a screen shot of the front and took a good look at the length of the mouth.
reach_9431700_Fulledit.jpg

compared to
IMG_0234edit.jpg

The last comment i have to make is the unfold around the mouth was very difficult to make and i believe i will have to rebuild later in on the build due to warping in the areas that are going to be hard to sand.

Also stay posted for updates on the Mk V (B) as well as the commando.

More to come

The lines you draw in those two pictures don't look the same. The one of the screenshot does not cut through the black "upper lip" thing, and looks more parallel with the visor, where the line through the pep piece cuts through that upper lip and seems to be angled in towards the visor. But I agree that a lot of the helmets are modeled a smidge too narrow, especially for big headed guys like me. If you have issues with it, you may want to try out Brandon McClain's or Ruze's unfolds and see if the issues are any better there.

The lines you draw in those two pictures don't look the same. The one of the screenshot does not cut through the black "upper lip" thing, and looks more parallel with the visor, where the line through the pep piece cuts through that upper lip and seems to be angled in towards the visor. But I agree that a lot of the helmets are modeled a smidge too narrow, especially for big headed guys like me. If you have issues with it, you may want to try out Brandon McClain's or Ruze's unfolds and see if the issues are any better there.

Yes i noticed that that line isn't parallel now that i look at it again. what i was trying to get at is that the mouth part should not stick out past the "upper lip".
The unfolds you are talking about are they for the jtm1997 model?

Katsu is right. The line you drew is off a bit. Meaning you're not as far off as you thought. Here, I did a quick superimposition of both your screen grab and your helm. Trying to align up as much as I could. Remember, the two images do not have exact perspectives and does not have same camera field of views.

kahnahSuperimposed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back