Mark VI build with scale sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helmet

I was running out of time by the time I got to the helmet so there are a few flaws that could
have been avoided but it still turned out good enough for Halloween.

helmetbuild1.jpg

I found for a PEP that's enclosed like the helmet instead of using the supports I make it hollow
and put one coat of resin on the outside then check the shape and geometry and make
adjustments then do a coat on the inside and, if everything still looks good, do one more
coat inside and out. That leaves you with a shell that will hold it's shape when you rondo
or fiberglass.

helmetbuild2.jpg

I found a small dremel cutting bit that works good for thin cuts.

helmetbuild3.jpg

The inside of the helmet has a thin layer of rondo for backing to sand into then fiberglass
mat in areas that need extra strength and fiberglass cloth over everything for strength
and smoothness and finally a very thin mix of rondo for more smoothness.
Even with all the layers the helmet is just over a pound finished.

helmetbuild4.jpg

The vents are wire loom I heated up and stretched on some pipe then cut to fit.

helmetbuild5.jpg

For the detail parts I used cardboard paint canvas. It's just thin layers of paper that
can be flexed and bent into the shape you need to wrap around and it paints very well
and usually comes in thickness of 1/16 to 1/8.

helmetbuild6.jpg

The visor uses two motorcycle helmet shields from Ebay, if you search for HJ-11 or
CL-33 visor it should pop up.

The back main visor I covered with tape and put inside the helmet to trace out the opening
leaving the tape on until the end to protect it.

helmetbuild7.jpg

For the front detail visor I made a template by sticking a piece of cardstock inside the helmet
with the back visor backing it to trace out the opening then after cutting and fitting to the
opening over the back visor I figured out the shape and finished cutting out the template.

After cutting the front detail visor I cleaned up the edges with a small drum sander on the
dremel and used a mouse sander to flatten the lines. Then a black permanent marker to
blend the edges.

The scale size I used is just big enough to fit around the ears and has room inside for
some thin padding.

**update**

I ended up just using some foam pipe wrap as padding, it just fits inside the shape of the helmet
and I didn't even need to glue anything, this way down the road I can put some real padding
inside and the old stuff will come out easy.

helmetpadding.jpg

Shins

The shins are pretty simple although the scale size I used is barely large enough to squeeze
past size 14 feet.

shinbuild1.jpg

I put foam around the top which fit snug on my calves and were more than enough to keep
the shins in place even when running around. There are also some foam pieces at the bottom
to keep it from shifting around.

The one mistake I did make on my first try is making the inside by the lower calf round and
not oval, which makes it hard to get your foot past that small part of the shin.

The one on the left has the right shape and you can see where the part above the V is
at a 70 degree angle, the one on the right is almost flat.

shinbuild2.jpg

I used a layer of fiberglass mat around the knee and finished it with some cloth to smooth
and a few strips of cloth in the back to prevent cracking, everything else is just the thin
rondo layer which is holding up just fine.

This has got to be one of the greatest WIP threads I've ever seen! You've taken a very critical eye to every peace and explained what you did very well. If you don't mind there are a couple of things you've done here that I might have to use on my own pieces if they ever get done. Keep up the good work!

The shins are pretty simple although the scale size I used is barely large enough to squeeze
past size 14 feet.

shinbuild1.jpg

I put foam around the top which fit snug on my calves and were more than enough to keep
the shins in place even when running around. There are also some foam pieces at the bottom
to keep it from shifting around.

The one mistake I did make on my first try is making the inside by the lower calf round and
not oval, which makes it hard to get your foot past that small part of the shin.

The one on the left has the right shape and you can see where the part above the V is
at a 70 degree angle, the one on the right is almost flat.

shinbuild2.jpg

I used a layer of fiberglass mat around the knee and finished it with some cloth to smooth
and a few strips of cloth in the back to prevent cracking, everything else is just the thin
rondo layer which is holding up just fine.

OMG that is amazing!!! I was wondering if I can hire you to make me a DOOM 2 suit? Seeing that suit gave me the biggest chubby i have ever had next to hearing the sound of that double barrel reloading after just fragging someone!

This has got to be one of the greatest WIP threads I've ever seen! You've taken a very critical eye to every peace and explained what you did very well. If you don't mind there are a couple of things you've done here that I might have to use on my own pieces if they ever get done. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Feel free to use anything you see, main reason I'm posting this stuff is to add to the idea pool and make it easier for first timers.

Belt

Been busy working on some other projects, playing with silicon mold making and some other
stuff.

Here is the belt and straps to hold up the thigh pieces, I ended up splitting the belt up
to make it less constricting and adjustable for whoever is wearing it.

beltbuild1.jpg

I cut strips of rubber and punched small holes in the edges so the epoxy would have
something to grip.

The belt is loosely attached to the armor pieces with loops of elastic glued to the
fiberglass.

beltbuild2.jpg

I made some adjustable quick release straps to hold up the thigh pieces and glued
them to the inside. You don't really see them against the under armor but people that
did notice asked if I was wearing a garter belt, to which I said yes, I'm sexy chief.

Thigh/Legs

The thighs are pretty simple. I didn't make the full wrap around leaving the inside open
for comfort and mobility, I'm hoping sometime in the future to make foam leg wraps
that look like the layered inner thigh pieces.

thighbuild.jpg

The straps inside are elastic and attach to the belt, they did a good job of holding
them in place but letting me move around.

I will start by saying awesome job and i love how your armor has come out. I actually am using your same size scale for your chest. How did you get some of the peices to fit on one page since the pieces are so big. If u could explain or direct me to a thread to show me how i would appreciate it.

I will start by saying awesome job and i love how your armor has come out. I actually am using your same size scale for your chest. How did you get some of the peices to fit on one page since the pieces are so big. If u could explain or direct me to a thread to show me how i would appreciate it.

I have a wide format printer so for larger pieces I used 11 x 17 inch paper. with smaller paper it will span the piece across two pages and you have to splice them
back together.

I don't know where I missed this build at from before but I'm definitely gonna be referencing it in the future!

Nice job!

Bammmm straight to business with this thread. Amazing build and just as macattack said, i will be using this for future reference aswell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back