Mark VI WIP Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be alright if I pm'd you to ask about techniques in using clay?

Have never done it before
Reply sent.

Updates will hopefully come soon as the order for the silicone and urethane for the casting process will be made soon. Look for the first pull early in the new year.

This is freaking epic man. Looking forward to your progress as it happens. Merry Christmas

Progress Updates: Gooey helmet is gooey.
IMG_20110108_154937.jpg

IMG_20110108_154945.jpg
IMG_20110108_215115.jpg

IMG_20110109_165426.jpg

There were pictures of more layers and registration keys but for some reason those pictures are borked on my phone.

Hand plates came out of the mold today. The design for these plates was based on the images from WETA's workshop. Photo quality is a bit poor but my phone was having flash issues.
IMG_20110116_005109.jpg

IMG_20110116_005619.jpg

IMG_20110116_005641.jpg

There will be a run of these posted in the classifieds section if people are interested.

First cast came out. Looks pretty good but seeing as we are a bit perfectionist we may try and do a second more refined mold. Ill try and get a closer picture when I get the chance.
Photo0086.jpg

First a picture of a scrap helmet we pulled and decided to do a quick paint job on just to satisfy our curiosity.
helm.jpg

helm2.jpg

Now the update. While we pulled a couple decent looking helmets out of our mold we decided that the silicone simply had not cured properly on the mold itself and as such with every pull it was warping and distorting the casts. We cast the one you see here in 320 and our second in 321 just to see the difference. So long story short, we decide these casts just aren't up to our standard so we will be ordering more silicone and starting a second mold with the lessons we learned from the first. We will probably end up selling this helm and the other scrap helm sometime in the near future to recoup some costs.

While it may be a failure on some levels, the knowledge and techniques we gained from this trial and error process are well worth the time spent. Look for more updates soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back