Masterchiefowns WIP!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[attachment=1055:Finished...lmet_003.jpg][attachment=1056:Finished...lmet_002.jp
][attachment=1054:Finished...lmet_001.jpg]

After resin and fiberglass |
|
\/

MasterChiefOwns said:
I put one coat of resin on it. I didn't fiberglass it though.

Ahh alright :p I was gonna say ;) I left my visor paper...only resin'd the edges with what slopped over from doin the rest, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and (this question mainly directed to Spase) will this stuff work as glaze? I picked it up at Ace Hardware. It says it's Glaze and Spot Putty. [attachment=1061:Bondo.jpg]

I would not use anything that doesn't mix with a hardner... I am familar with what you are using... and I intend to cover this is my tutorial but I will tell you also.... Some people I have had some measure of success with some other materials... I have seen spackle, plaster, putty, glaze, paper mache... its all in what you are comfortable working with.. if you don't like the level of detail you achieve with one material, try another... but here is my rant..

Typically when you have a large area to fill. you would use Bondo Putty (kind you mix with a harnder) to fill any large low spots. You rough the bondo putty to shape with a rough grit sand paper, for the application you use with the size pieces we have, I would reccomend 80 grit. Once the Bondo Putty is roughed to shape, you would then skim the surface witha layer of Glaze to fill the voids and pin holes. The reason I used Glaze everywhere is it is what I had avaiable to me at the time, and I prefer working with it, as it produces a nicer sandable finish in my opinion... that tube of glaze/spot putty doesn't use a hardner, and can sometimes be unpredictable... Its only meant to fix small areas really, but I still never use it. You may also find reference to people mixing resin with Bondo putty, and making "mud"... this is an old timmer's body work trick to make something similar to a glaze. You can now buy ready made glaze, its a bit more expensive than putty, but I would rather have an easier time sanding my piece, than fightinging hard hard bondo putty.

Spase said:
I would not use anything that doesn't mix with a hardner... I am familar with what you are using... and I intend to cover this is my tutorial but I will tell you also.... Some people I have had some measure of success with some other materials... I have seen spackle, plaster, putty, glaze, paper mache... its all in what you are comfortable working with.. if you don't like the level of detail you achieve with one material, try another... but here is my rant..

Typically when you have a large area to fill. you would use Bondo Putty (kind you mix with a harnder) to fill any large low spots. You rough the bondo putty to shape with a rough grit sand paper, for the application you use with the size pieces we have, I would reccomend 80 grit. Once the Bondo Putty is roughed to shape, you would then skim the surface witha layer of Glaze to fill the voids and pin holes. The reason I used Glaze everywhere is it is what I had avaiable to me at the time, and I prefer working with it, as it produces a nicer sandable finish in my opinion... that tube of glaze/spot putty doesn't use a hardner, and can sometimes be unpredictable... Its only meant to fix small areas really, but I still never use it. You may also find reference to people mixing resin with Bondo putty, and making "mud"... this is an old timmer's body work trick to make something similar to a glaze. You can now buy ready made glaze, its a bit more expensive than putty, but I would rather have an easier time sanding my piece, than fightinging hard hard bondo putty.
Sooooooooooo don't use it? lol

MasterChiefOwns said:
Sooooooooooo don't use it? lol

Spase is right, You CAN use it but ONLY in moderation. Its what i used on mine after i used bondo. If you use too much it will fall off and crack and stuff. you dont want that. If you do use that you're going to want to use bondo first.

Darthcalibar said:
Spase is right, You CAN use it but ONLY in moderation. Its what i used on mine after i used bondo. If you use too much it will fall off and crack and stuff. you dont want that. If you do use that you're going to want to use bondo first.
I put a little bit on the top to see how it would be. It cracked a little but nothing fell off. I bought bondo and I'll start bondo today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back