Material for lining inside of helmet after fiberglass question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scavenger084

So it is my first time building any type of armor and it's going pretty well so far. Here is a shot before I put resin on: complete pep I am currently in process of fiberglassing the inside and it is also going pretty well, but I had two questions/concerns. First, there are a few air bubbles created in the fiberglass around some of the interior where I did not get the cloth 100% around the edges. they aren't huge, but will this create a problem later? Second, is there some sort of liner that I should be putting in after the fiberglass hardens? I plan on adding foam padding and a hidden elastic chin strap that attaches with velcro by the end, but is there anything more to it? Just seems sort of rough to have that fiberglass and resin right there by your face with nothing covering it. Or am I just being paranoid and once it fully dries there will be no danger...just need to trim up any bits of stray glass that are sticking out.

Thanks in advance.

-scavenger

First, the bubbles from the fiberglass can lead to issues later on. The best way to prevent it is to add a layer of rondo before you lay down the glass. However, since you're already here (the pep looks great by the way), there is still hope. All you have to do is take a dremel, or some sort of cutting wheel to the bubble and cut away the glass, to give you access to the void. Then, simply mix up a small batch of resin, and pour it into the void. This will fill the hole and harden the model.

Second, lining your helmet is up to whatever your abilities are. Some people go the route you're thinking and use EVA foam, others get a motorcycle helmet replacement liner; I made my own...

DSC04881.jpg

Here's the post that shows how I do it...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...ive-Action-Video-Now-Up!)?p=620183#post620183

Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC04881.jpg
    DSC04881.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,430
Thanks for the reply. I do have a dremel and will get on that soon. There are a few decent size bubbles so it may take some time, but I'll get it done. Also, thanks for the tips, that helmet looks super comfy, I will have to replicate. What store did you buy the foam from?

I got the foam from Hobby Lobby (if you have a HL near you, look in the fabric section). It's the type of foam you'd use to pad a chair or something similar. It's called Poly-Fil Foam and is pretty inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back