MC6 Resin Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken, the pic of the box it came in is reminiscent of the style of box art that eBay seller "coolmodels" uses on the various prop kits (ie. Batman, Star Trek, BSG) he sells. I've heard from several sources that the majority of his kits are recasts, and I respect the opinions of those who have said such. Perhaps your friend obtained it from him? o_O

SPARTAN II said:
If I'm not mistaken, the pic of the box it came in is reminiscent of the style of box art that eBay seller "coolmodels" uses on the various prop kits (ie. Batman, Star Trek, BSG) he sells. I've heard from several sources that the majority of his kits are recasts, although I have not personally proven such. Perhaps your friend obtained it from him? o_O

Hmm...Must be so..If thats the case mine was the offspring of a mold modeled after the one in the box.....intresting..

Last edited by a moderator:
That could be entirely possible... you never know... considering the one pictured on the box also appears to be a recast of Link's pistol...

SPARTAN II said:
That could be entirely possible... you never know... considering the one pictured on the box also appears to be a recast of Link's pistol...
wow. Dude that would be amazing. I hate recast so are you saying links pistol is a recast? cause i dont get it.

No, no. I'm not saying Link's pistol is a recast. He's the original artist of that piece, without a doubt. What I was saying was that based on the box pic and what Grunt said, Link's pistol appears to have been recast by at least one or two people. Not kewl, imho...

What happened might have gone a little something like this:

Friend: "Hey, dude, check out this Halo Pistol."
Duper: "Wow, that's pretty cool. But.... $$? Hmmm...."
Friend: "I know, but it'd be totally sweet if we had a few."
Duper: "I've got some experience with polymer molds and casts."
Both: "Eureka!"
Duper buys a Link Pistol. Duper receives it about two weeks later.
Meanwhile, duper has bought silicon mold agents and resin.
Duper: "Dude, we can so make a mint on these."
Duper proceeds to use the pistol from link to make negative molds.
Duper recruits friend to manufacture cheap boxes, then the pair proceeds to sell the pistols at a much reduced rate, but still above cost per piece.
Duper profits by spreading the pistols around on eBay, at Conventions, and by word of mouth.
Link's business suffers, but he isn't really aware of it.
Someone who's purchased a duped pistol posts about it on these forums.

The rest is history.

I've just read through this entire sad topic and realized a couple things...

First. You're NOT all on the same page about what a 'Mold' , or what a 'Cast' is. A Mold is the rubber negative that you pour resin into to mass produce something. A Cast is a positive copy produced from that mold.

GruntofAction had a Cast, not a mold... there were a few little suggestions from him that he had a mold, but there were never any photos of a rubber mold for making copies. He claimed to have poured the resin, then admitted that it was a single item purchased at DragonCon.

Damn recasters....

As one who goes to DragonCon every year, I always head to the dealers room. I stopped buy the "Arsenal Models" booth. They sell under the name "coolmodels" on ebay. I have been on the Replica Prop Forum for years which is where major Hollywood prop builders hang out and share their legtimate works, etc. "Arsenal Models"/"coolmodels" are known recasters. They copy everything they get their hands on. Fan-made and licensed material alike. They know no boundries. They are frowned upon as major rip-off artists in the prop community and what was down with Links pistol yet again is just another stab in the back to a major artisan.

Link, I saw the recast pistol first hand at DragonCon. I even opened up the box and pulled it out and it sucks. Its wobbly, terrible recast. This trashbag knows just enough to make crappy copies, his work sucks.

I frown upon recasters and have no problem outing them. People such as Link, BlueRealm and everyone of you that prints out pep models and assembles something put too much time and effort into to have someone come along and slap some silicone over it and make copies. If you are not given permission, its stealing. I am not ripping on this particular pistol as you may not have known, or you did but now you are aware and the community is aware

Sorry Link, at least we know were the master came from and the beautiful thing it is.

This is why progress pics are asked for folks.

I wholeheartedy agree with both Sean and Clone. I can't stand recasters, to see someone copy (as in make thier own mold of) someone else's hard work. It's a blatant insult to the original artist, and tarnishes our wonderful hobby.

I admit that when I very first got into the hobby about seven years ago I bought a few recasts (before I knew what recasting was) as the price was very manageable for my budget. Nowadays though, I don't purchase rip-offs, as that supports these people's dishonest tactics.

The one good thing about recasts is that, as pointed out by Clone regarding the quality of the casting, since they are a quick job they're often always well below-par in terms of quality and details (a lot of detail gets lost or warped in a recast because of the shoddy molding/casting). I know the few recasts I bought way back when were all lacking in detail and accuracy.

So, at least we needn't worry about them being decent recasts. Still, a recast is a recast, and to sell off someone else's work for profit is morally/ethically wrong... :cautious:

SPARTAN II said:
I wholeheartedy agree with both Sean and Clone. I can't stand recasters, to see someone copy (as in make thier own mold of) someone else's hard work. It's a blatant insult to the original artist, and tarnishes our wonderful hobby.

I admit that when I very first got into the hobby about seven years ago I bought a few recasts (before I knew what recasting was) as the price was very manageable for my budget. Nowadays though, I don't purchase rip-offs, as that supports these people's dishonest tactics.

The one good thing about recasts is that, as pointed out by Clone regarding the quality of the casting, since they are a quick job they're often always well below-par in terms of quality and details (a lot of detail gets lost or warped in a recast because of the shoddy molding/casting). I know the few recasts I bought way back when were all lacking in detail and accuracy.

So, at least we needn't worry about them being decent recasts. Still, a recast is a recast, and to sell off someone else's work for profit is morally/ethically wrong... :cautious:

So who is the one in trouble? The one that sold it or the one who was given it?

GruntOfAction said:
So who is the one in trouble? The one that sold it or the one who was given it?

Thats a difference of opinion in some folks eyes, but mostly both are frowned upon. We can debate the semantics of this all day long as has been done over and over.

CGClone said:
Thats a difference of opinion in some folks eyes, but mostly both are frowned upon. We can debate the semantics of this all day long as has been done over and over.

So 1 day in membership and Im already hated for buying a recast of one of Link's guns? Lovely..

I'll go and find a diffrent costume making forum then if Im not even given a chance here.

You missed my point. I am not calling you out, your pistol was recognized as a recast of someone's on this forum. I was simply stating that those who knowingly got/purchased a recast and those who willing recast are frowned upon. Your issues is not with me, its out in the open that this is Links pistol.

Dont run away, talk with Link, get it ironed out and move on.

CGClone said:
You missed my point. I am not calling you out, your pistol was recognized as a recast of someone's on this forum. I was simply stating that those who knowingly got/purchased a recast and those who willing recast are frowned upon. Your issues is not with me, its out in the open that this is Links pistol.

Dont run away, talk with Link, get it ironed out and move on.

K then..

Link, if you have MSN add me: Gruntofaction@Gmail.com I should be on nearly all day except for possible runs to stores.

Grunt,

You didn't know it was a copy from a re-cast of Links.

Just don't do what coolmodels did and profit from someone else's work.

This might be a good place for you to learn to make your own original works, especially as a Halo fan.

FinAeros said:
Grunt,

You didn't know it was a copy from a re-cast of Links.

Just don't do what coolmodels did and profit from someone else's work.

This might be a good place for you to learn to make your own original works, especially as a Halo fan.

The only thing I was going to do to it was paint it and keep it for myself, not selling it or anything, not making molds of it or anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back