Measuring out Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sikarian

Jr Member
Not much discussion on it...is there an easy way to measure out resin and get the proper hardener mixture ratio? The can of resin says like, 12 drops of hardener per ounce of resin, so and so much of hardner for 6 tbspns (I dont remember exactly), or half a tube for a quarter can of resin.

Is there an easy way to measure this? I'd hate to have to ruin a perfectly good measuring cup by measuring resin in it...

Or would that ruin it? Just measure out 6 tablespoons of resin into a measuring cup, then pour it into my disposable paint tray, and then put in the appropriate amount of hardener while its in there. Would that work? Could a measuring cup be washed to be safe after resin has been in it?

I wouldnt. Just eyeball it. Get some of those disposable giant red party cups and use those.

Ok, well I bought some plastic mixing cups sorta like this at Walmart (you can reuse them a time or two).

180px-Simple_Measuring_Cup.jpg

I would pour in say 6 oz. of resin. Then, while stirring, I would add 72 drops of the liquid hardener into that resin filled cup. It's a good way to be more precise. That way you don't get a more predictable solution (temperature and humidity still apply :))

Just be careful handing the cup, it'll get decently warm when a typical reaction begins.

-Vex

Well, there are special made cups for this, but besides purchasing these you can do what I do... worked for the car, working for my helm.

I use and old cheap butter tub, and used a measuring cup and water and measured out fluid levels, then used a sharpie to mark those levels inside and outside... poor out the water and wa la, a cheap measuring cup... also, I used a popsicle stick that I leave in the resin until it hardens, then I simply pull on the stick and the resin comes with it for large amounts. You could also try lining the inside with foil for easier clean up, but then you would have to "eyeball" the resin level. Either way mixing resin and hardener is not an exact science... a drop or two less that what’s on the can will take the resin a little longer to set, where as a few to many drops of hardener will make a quicker curing resin... but you have to stay close to the recomended amount.

Vexona said:

I like this idea. I'm horribly terrible at eyeballing liquids...I don't even have a mental picture displaying to me how much an ounce is or a tablespoon is. I guess I've got one more trip to walmart before I get to start resining (ARGH!) to pick up a couple of these.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a measuring cup. They're cheap. 1/4 cup + 28 drops of hardener in a foil-lined container. Worked for me!

I got the first coat of resin done, pics tomorrow when it's light out. The first measuring cup I put the hardener in the cup and mixed, then poured into my tray. This worked, but it ended up later on leaving a layer of the cup with hardened resin. Not so much usable any more :( Luckily I bought extras! Now I'm measuring in the cup, pouring into the tray, adding the hardener in the tray and mixing, works out great.

My only problem now is how it's going to eat through paintbrushes. After each painting session I'd bring the brush to the sink and wash and wash and wash with warm water, then take outside and so far it's been working to hold off the whole hardening up to unusable... Any other tips on how I can avoid that? Or is it just something I'll have to deal with?

Meh, I just still the top container half way, it always does me good, then add 5-6 drops of hardener and you will have 15 minutes to work before it clumps up.

Sikarian said:
My only problem now is how it's going to eat through paintbrushes. After each painting session I'd bring the brush to the sink and wash and wash and wash with warm water, then take outside and so far it's been working to hold off the whole hardening up to unusable... Any other tips on how I can avoid that? Or is it just something I'll have to deal with?

get dollar store packs of brushes... LOTS OF THEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back