Merc Studios Armor Progress Molding/Casting Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeattack

Just wanted to show progress of my Spartan Armor. See my gallery under Merc Studios Armor gallery

A note for those of you who are thinking about venturing into the world of molding/casting your own armor: it is not as hard as I thought. But it IS time consuming. But then again, seeing the mold release from your own sculpt is a REWARD in itself.

Thanks again for viewing.

I welcome your comments/suggestions/tips.

Nice to see someone tackling their own work! We all start somewhere and learn as we go, great work so far. I may recommend not working on cardboard, somethings stick in ways you dont want them to, trying putting a layer of wax paper between your clay and cardboard.

Lets see more as you go.

CGClone said:
Nice to see someone tackling their own work! We all start somewhere and learn as we go, great work so far. I may recommend not working on cardboard, somethings stick in ways you dont want them to, trying putting a layer of wax paper between your clay and cardboard.

Lets see more as you go.

It's a great learning experience. This is the first time I have ever used the mold/cast process for anything. I hope to use the techniques that I've learned to go back to improve some of my previous costumes/props (like my Proton Pack for example - it is currently made out of MDF and has some heft to it. Just imagine a few hours with that on your back)

Yes - i realized after peeling away the rubber mold from the cardboard, that I may need another base surface to work on - maybe acrylic?

I will continue to post progress and (hopefully) completion pics. Keep watching and thanks again for the comments/suggestions/tips. Keep them coming.

EDIT - Success! Handguard and Bicep Guards casted! Hey kids - when casting with Smooth-on Smooth-Cast 300, wait for the cast to cool down before handling. It does get HOT! Check out my gallery for current progress picks under Merc Studios Armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back