Mesh - ODST BDU

Mesh

Hi friends -
After a "short" break to sort my life out, I'm back and itching to get to work on a new ODST suit.

I love my current ODST but being Military personnel, it's not the most security conscious.
Here is my build thread if you're curious - Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2 (Camouflage MTP)

So this time, I've decided to do one of those super accurate, super fancy builds.

-I'll be using 6mm EVA Foam from a local supplier (https://www.thecosplayforge.co.uk/), and Contact Cement to provide smooth and tight seams.
-Templates will be taken from the 405th archive.
-I already have a 3d Printed helmet - so that's done.
-I also have a 3d printed grenade made by the ever talented kaween.
-I'll be making a M392 DMR using thin sheets of Plywood, and layering them using Sliced Templates I have. (IIRC, They're on the File Archive.)
-I also hope to make a Magnum in this style, but this will be the classic Magnum opposed to the ODST magnum.
-I'll be using a Black set of Combats as my undersuit, but where I can I shall be replicating sections of the real undersuit.

As this is my first 'faithful' build - Has anyone got any tips that will come in useful?
I'm mostly looking for strapping and mounting tips, mobility, and endurance.

I will also be using this initial post as a recap on future posts I make however the actual future posts will hold more detail and will be worth checking back on (Hopefully!)

(I won't be able to start this build for a week or two, so any tips before then are gonna be great)

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoy my progress!

Almost a year later edit...
Yeah about the whole 'Super Accurate' thing, my work life and my budget won't allow it, so I'll settle with a nicer more accurate look based on my original concept with the Fabrics.
Idk how many of my original points I'll be following, so we'll see what happens lmao :D

Last edited:
One bit of advice I can give is use the ODST shoulder base templates found in the pep section of the ODST files. Just cut the tabs off the templates and it's instantly foam friendly. Just bevel the foam to help give it a curve to fit your shoulders. Mount you shoulder armour onto the base and then using snaps or velcro attach it to your undersuit. It will hold it in the right place and you won't have to worry about it sliding down.

Hi friends -
After a "short" break to sort my life out, I'm back and itching to get to work on a new ODST suit.

I love my current ODST but being Military personnel, it's not the most security conscious.
Here is my build thread if you're curious - Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2 (Camouflage MTP)

So this time, I've decided to do one of those super accurate, super fancy builds.

-I'll be using 6mm EVA Foam from a local supplier (https://www.thecosplayforge.co.uk/), and Contact Cement to provide smooth and tight seams.
-Templates will be taken from the 405th archive.
-I already have a 3d Printed helmet - so that's done.
-I also have a 3d printed grenade made by the ever talented kaween.
-I'll be making a M392 DMR using thin sheets of Plywood, and layering them using Sliced Templates I have. (IIRC, They're on the File Archive.)
-I also hope to make a Magnum in this style, but this will be the classic Magnum opposed to the ODST magnum.
-I'll be using a Black set of Combats as my undersuit, but where I can I shall be replicating sections of the real undersuit.

As this is my first 'faithful' build - Has anyone got any tips that will come in useful?
I'm mostly looking for strapping and mounting tips, mobility, and endurance.

I will also be using this initial post as a recap on future posts I make however the actual future posts will hold more detail and will be worth checking back on (Hopefully!)

(I won't be able to start this build for a week or two, so any tips before then are gonna be great)

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoy my progress!

Welcome back to the forums good sir, you've been missed but we've kept your seat warm.

Tips for a faithful build are start digging up reference photos and see if you can get into some of the Weta Workshop behind the scenes images for when they were making ODST suits for Landfall. They had some damn fine rigging and I'd say they're one of the most solid foundations to build off of.

Okay, so my Foam has arrived! This is 4m² of 6mm thick EVA Foam, and it only cost me about £25! I'm hoping this should be enough, but I know it's super cheap so I can easily buy more.

I unfortunately don't have more of an update right now as I've been a bit busy with work - but now this is here I can start on the smaller things! :D
lhxW9302L_mQqIB3uC6riNgLmNVCa9uriFKQ2Uvh25FpMiw34mX9g_EFRpco-r2Vh7QdMG_yWEcP3T9ye=w1333-h1000-no.jpg

Almost a year necro :O

Life's been more than manic recently, but I'm super happy to be getting back into this :D
My idea has changed considerably however - I have scrapped all but the shoulders and helmet of my previous ODST build, so I will still need to build a new set of armour, however I will be returning to the Fabric armour. I hope to finish this build with a nice merger between a game accurate ODST, and a more believable, realistic looking version by today's standards. (Almost like a cross between Halo 2 ODSTs and Halo 3 ODSTs).

My colour choice is Black with Green accents, and I'll be using some Molle equipment to pad out some areas (And hit the realism look).
I've also started a Mandalorian build to troop with some friends, so I'll be using techniques learnt from that in aspects of this build also.

I don't have an update for the moment, but I hope to bring some over the coming weeks! :)

Mesh

Okay, so I have an update! I've been working on it since I got home from work today, but I've reskinned the Shoulders to my new fabric :D

So I started off with the shoulder plates, as I left them a year or two ago.
spQxr6u.jpg

I then removed the British MTP Camouflage covering, revealing the rough foamwork underneath...
dvmoic6.jpg

Removing the fabric caused damage in some places, so I decided to cut some Sintra plates to reinforce the foam, giving the armour a sturdier feel also.
TcuGjFS.jpg

tms7HbX.jpg

LUAhxNk.jpg

I then took to the new material, and cut a pattern to fit, however I later stopped doing this and cut as I needed.
TPCp2ge.jpg

Viola, the first piece I finished :D
m0wxJrv.jpg

The black space on the shoulder pictured above, will be the space for a MEDREF, however to fit the armour, I'll be getting it custom embroided - here's my concept.
coCTGpS.jpg

And finally,
The two finished (Minus the MEDREF) shoulderplates! The green on the second shoulderplate is a velcro patch, so I can put and patch I want there, ranging from ODST, to UNSC, to 405th :D
pM1uS07.jpg

Hopefully tommorow I can start work on the chestplate :p

Mesh

Hey friends, been a while!!
I did a fair bit of work on getting my kit together- I wanted it mostly finished in time for a small local convention near me in the middle of July - and today I had two pre-edit photos back for the purposes of showing around and highlighting upgrades.

We'll start with the helmet.
As well all know, this was the previous look -
tJYxIKo.jpg

I stripped away all of the tape and added some new green tape for the Secondary Colour Areas.
2PMUr8H.jpg

I then added the Black Tape, and some silver highlights on the areas that weren't so easy to tape (I think they look better highlighted anyway :p ) And added my name.
WBTwJap.jpg

Next to be added were some velcro pads and patches to the sides - featuring an IR Union Flag, and a 1st Lt patch as that's the lore behind my character :)
0wdgKCr.jpg
SpresOt.jpg

You may also notice that there's some Mesh like material (lol) along the back, that's to aid in breathability in a decent looking way imo.
Finally for the helmet (at least for this post), I ordered a replacement visor from the always amazing Johnson Arms Props.
Here's the 'finished' helmet next to my WIP Mando bucket.
k19d0Im.jpg

Next, the chestplate!
A pretty basic chestplate design - put together quite quickly..
WYP1xer.jpg

Sizing worked out great!
4dy0YXa.jpg

I then wrapped it in fabric, green for the accents but black base, and added two mag pouches to hide some crimes and bulk it out. Then of course my name, and a 1stLt rank bar.
pUZyU6d.jpg

I then made some silver clips out of Sintra, and added them to the chestplate, which then attached to my rig - which as I'm writing this I realise I have minimal pictures of... Ah well :p
shVBfcY.jpg

Added some pouches to the ab area Brohammer style, and made the standard belt buckle and codpiece.
ebrwiXf.jpg

This picture was taken two days before the con, and I'd been struggling to make a decent pair of shins for the past 4 hours, so I thought I'd just quickly use some shinpads for the time being - they look okay! But not the quality I want them to be, so they're first on the list to be upgraded...
rtvjbYl.jpg

When all was said and done, I went to the convention and got some awesome pics!
Here's one of me caught offguard -
PDJj6yz.jpg

Here's two unedited ones from a good friend and VERY good photographer :D
9UFqmRS.jpg

RbgnNJX.jpg

And here's my upgrade list... (from bottom to top)

- New boots. The boots pictured are my Navy issue combat boots - A great pair of boots but not great for when I get to weathering lol
- Better thighs. For simplicity sake, I'm heavily considering a pair of Marine style shins - fits my low profile style of build while still looking good.
- Thigh Pads. Again, for low profile-ness, I'll be doing the Halo Reach ODST thigh pads, with a holster for a Silenced Magnum on one side, and some Grenade Shells (Thanks Lootcrate!) on the other :p
- Ab Plate. To better attach the ab pouches, and to cover up the undersuit. While the pouches look okay in photo, they were annoying me ALL day so I'll be securing them down, while also adding more functionality.
- Forearms. To match my low profile look, I wont be doing full on ODST gauntlets. However, I have been thinking about a sort of tacpad for one of my arms, like a reach style one held on with straps instead of a MJOLNIR powered armour piece ;P
- MEDREF. Still looking at getting one embroided to match the armour, if anyone has any connections please let me know!!
- Neckseal. I did actually have one, but it was very warm so I conveniently forgot to wear it, however I've brought a newer thinner one that'll be more comfortable and easier to wear :D
- New Rifle. The one in the pictures finally fell apart after a couple of years of service, so now I have to make a new one, and out of sturdier materials!
- Weathering. As it says on the tin :D

That's my list, what have you guys got for me? :)

I think at this point you're set to go to a Halo 3: ODST ODST or a Reach style since all the components you have are still modular. The Reach legs grant far more range of motion but are a little less iconic so you have a bit of a trade off there.

Once you've decided which variant you're going for, then you can start dialing in on the to-do list.

Boots - for H3 the sea boots are probably a bit on the chunky side since you need a toe cap over the top and making one that's removable while preserving you boot would be difficult. For Reach, depending on your camouflage scheme you might want a different colour but a sea boot will work just fine.

Thighs - IN REACH ARMOUR YOU CAN SIT DOWN

MEDREF - Are you dead set on getting it embroidered? Most I've seen have been a tally plate style to make adding the bar-code easier.

Long time no see 405th!
Today I was hit with another bout of motivation, hopefully this one will see me through to the end!!
Pulled my kit out of the attic today, I've had some chest buckles from TwoPennyProps sitting around for quite some time and I finally attached them to my chestplate, and the chestplate to the vest!
sdpAvpW.jpg

Shown like this, it appears the chestplate comes forward quite a bit, but with the helmet on it looks more in place.

I then pulled everything together! There may be a few jumps in appearance from what I had last update, I promise I meant to take photos but I usually forgot :( (I've got some gauntlets being printed as I type this, they are coming don't worry!)
Acn83lV.jpg
IlfHzdD.jpg

0uvmQk7.jpg
DnW2rSc.jpg

pTeMkea.jpg

I've identified a few problems -
1. I absolutely NEED some sort of construct in the crotch area. My best idea to as what so far, would be something like this -
DJ1RWBs.png

If I were to purchase this, I'd be bleaching it to remove as much camo as possible, then either dyeing or spraying green. This will add some colour variation, and a bit of armour to complete the look. I don't really want to go back to the flap piece I had prior, it just doesn't make sense to me :(
2. For whatever reason, where the visor contacts the sides of my face in the helmet, the tinting has weathered severely to the point where it is transparent. I either need to replace the tint or the visor :(
3. Some IRL friends have suggested to replace the silver along the front of the helmet with either green or black as it upsets the flow of the visor.

Once I've finished these 3, I should be in a strong position to say I'm finished!!

Any thoughts please let me know, and any questions please ask!

EDIT:
LMAO, I did not read my previous post, this might as well be a completely different kit!
Here is my upgrade list from last time -

- New boots. The boots pictured are my Navy issue combat boots - A great pair of boots but not great for when I get to weathering lol
I did this, I brought a pair of Jungle boots for the accurate sole :D
- Better shins. For simplicity sake, I'm heavily considering a pair of Marine style shins - fits my low profile style of build while still looking good.
This took me a while to get right, it was something I always left and came back to - I made a shroud style plate for the upper calf, I then split the knee off the shin pads I already had and attached it to the calf plate. This allowed me to move the rest of the shin down to cover the laces of my boots, and ultimately pulls of the look I'm after for now :D
- Thigh Pads. Again, for low profile-ness, I'll be doing the Halo Reach ODST thigh pads, with a holster for a Silenced Magnum on one side, and some Grenade Shells (Thanks Lootcrate!) on the other :p
I haven't attached a holster (nor acquired a magnum) or the grenade shells yet, but I did make the Reach thigh pads with a pouch on one. The other I'm likely to leave blank, with the holster either going on a hip pad or on the ab plates. The grenade shells if I ever get around to it, will be on a hip plate.
- Ab Plate. To better attach the ab pouches, and to cover up the undersuit. While the pouches look okay in photo, they were annoying me ALL day so I'll be securing them down, while also adding more functionality.
I brought a molle combat vest, it attaches to the belt via clips. The overall setup is kind of complicated, but it's a combat vest base, with a H style yoke attached to mimic the shoulder straps, and a hydration pack on the rear. The anchor points for the shoulder plates help with holding the construct together, and the molle allows customisation of the Ab area.
- Forearms. To match my low profile look, I wont be doing full on ODST gauntlets. However, I have been thinking about a sort of tacpad for one of my arms, like a reach style one held on with straps instead of a MJOLNIR powered armour piece ;P
Like mentioned I have gauntlets being printed, however they're standard ODST gauntlets.
- MEDREF. Still looking at getting one embroided to match the armour, if anyone has any connections please let me know!!
This was done and evidence is in the post above :D
- Neckseal. I did actually have one, but it was very warm so I conveniently forgot to wear it, however I've brought a newer thinner one that'll be more comfortable and easier to wear :D
Also done
- New Rifle. The one in the pictures finally fell apart after a couple of years of service, so now I have to make a new one, and out of sturdier materials!
As seen in the pictures in this post, I do have a Halo 5 AR (with a broken barrel oops), however I do also have a new Reach DMR that a friend 3d printed, I'm yet to receive it however due to COVID restrictions but that's okay.
- Weathering. As it says on the tin :D
Still to do :O

Last edited:
Hey :)
Received my DMR the other day, I followed all COVID precautions when I met up with my friend so don't worry I stayed safe :D

vRFDmSH.jpg

It's an awesome print, I believe it is the LobbsterCosplay model. I'm going to paint it to match the AR above. I brought the AR from Facebook marketplace, I've been told that it was printed by Procoprint3d, and painted by LostVikingProps!

My combat nappy also arrived, I need to now acquire a pot big enough to let me bleach and dye it in :p Pics on that as I get round to it.

Unrelated, any idea why I can't see signatures anymore? or have they been removed :(

Hi everyone!

Painted up my new DMR, tried to match the AR colours with what I had on hand, I think I did okay :)

My painting order was the silver base (for paint chipping if desired), then the green accenting, then a full black coat, then the grey coat. However, I ran out of black spray D: I left some empty cans in the box so I thought I had more than I did :(
I then had to finish off with the grey paint - so the end result is flipped to as what the reach paintscheme is (Grey on top, black in the middle).
I'm still happy with it tho so whatever!

VsvgqBN.jpg

While the green paint is a really nice colour, the combination with the grey was still very bright and almost cartoonish, time to crack out any blackwashes I have and mute it up a bit!

tNgm8VB.jpg

This is the result of a blackwash. I poured some enamel blackwash onto a dish sponge and dabbed as much of it as I could onto the rifle, then I scrunched up some kitchen paper towel and dabbed it away. In places where I felt it was too much I just used the kitchen towel to wipe it away or work it in. I think the end result is really nice!

e38nuaI.jpg

I did the same again with some brown acrylic wash, but in a much lower quantity.

JFQaeWB.jpg

Happy Mesh Happy Mesh

I need to get some shiny silver to paint the optic unit lenses, but I'm dead happy right now :D

Longshot but, I'm not that great with stencils so the smaller details on this rifle like any script or logos will be a nightmare for me - anyone know where I can get some stickers or similar ??

That's a really great looking build! Definitely super unique.
Also just as a little FYI that's a Maelstrom Props DMR model, I just do kits haha.
Stencils are usually a preferred method for smaller deets on the props but I believe if you know someone with a Cricut or some kind of stencil cutter you should be able to make some stickers!

It's ya boi, uhhhhhhhhh, me?
Life got in the way a little bit again but here it goes!
FULL ARMOUR, everything in place! All that's left is weathering BUT I am to be deployed for 3 months at the end of this week because I am real life ONI (haha jk, unless....)

I took some pictures, I feel incredible, and I'm excited to be let out in the wild with this setup when the world is open again!!!

IQtVO2s.jpg

I look sad because this was only meant to be a tester to make sure my tripod was showing the correct area to take photos and such, and it was and it looks kinda alright!

APjASqz.jpg
UsotCvI.jpg

wBAeiyj.jpg

UmdQRtk.jpg

dZ12ysS.jpg

lYWnOzg.jpg

buOzo4p.jpg

That's all for now, but if you have any opinions about what I should change or any questions please ask! Like I said I'd be away for 3 months and I'm not sure if I'll be able to respond to much after this week but don't be afraid to Necro as I'll be eager to get back and reply :)

Nice one, diolch yn fawr, etc

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back