metal armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
thorssoli said:
Would this be a bad time to add these pics of my cold-cast aluminum helmet?

ColdCastBucket002.jpg

ColdCastBucket007.jpg

It'll come out a bit shinier once I've finished buffing it. The next one I make will have a bit more aluminum added to give it an even brighter metal finish. Essentially it has all the appearance of metal with the ease of casting in resin.

For more info on "cold casting," check out the following links:

http://www.sculpt.com/technotes/COLDCAST.htm

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1163631

well dang, you already did it! Very very nice.. looks amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea if this could possibly work but they make this stuff called allumaloy (spelling?). Its like rods of alluminum that you can melt and weld with a butane torch. You could do some experimenting and you may be able to melt a bunch of that into a mold to make armor. On the commercial the melted a bunch of it to replace a part of transmission.

Heres a link to a website about it.
Link

Also just go to ebay and type in allumaloy. You should be able to find some on there.

All I can say is awesome thor! Thanks Vrogy for the sources. I have a metal working forge and anvil for steel and used a barbeque grill to melt down pewter into bracelets and Aluminum. You were looking for molds, and backyardmetalcasting refractories would probably work if you wanted a heat-durable mold. Keep in mind, don't get discouraged and be sure to remember the product will probably need to be filed down.

Have Fun,
Garth

yeah, I need to get to work on making this happen, though thor's work has almost satisfied my desire to see metal armor, mad props thor! Atm I'm too busy working on my MKV though

That is one helluva awesome-looking cold-cast aluminum helmet there, Thor! It'd be way kewl if we could have more people coming out with helmets made in that manner, heh:D

Question for Thor, though: is it any heavier than a typical resin-cast pull? I would imagine so... it isn't too heavy, though, is it? :cautious:

SPARTAN II said:
That is one helluva awesome-looking cold-cast aluminum helmet there, Thor! It'd be way kewl if we could have more people coming out with helmets made in that manner, heh:D

Question for Thor, though: is it any heavier than a typical resin-cast pull? I would imagine so... it isn't too heavy, though, is it? :cautious:

The aluminum adds a little bit of weight, yes. But it's not a lot of aluminum and under that thin layer the rest of the helmet is made with the same lightweight composite as the rest of my castings.

actually for my iron man helmet is pep but than 40% of my iron man helmet is gonna be metal! i got the pices ready to go.

There is another way to Metalize armor, it is possible to spray on certain metals and have a layer of metal but this process is expensive and not to mention out of my league. My uncle is the president of my grandfather machine shop and I asked him about it once.

i think metal armour is a great idea and i'm planning on having my armour mad this way. not by my specifically but the people at Blankenshield Armoury. i haven't approached them with my idea but they make some sick stuff.

volkov said:
alright, so, heaviness obviously being a problem, I've still always been curious as to how to make detailed metal armor, or at least a mold which could be used to create metal pulls.. I've been thinking, and if you could find something with a low freezing point, and extremely high specific heat, you should be able to freeze it over a fiberglass/plastic piece without damaging it... then if you could cut it in half (or have seperators in place before freezing) and then clamp it together (keeping it at whatever low temperature) you SHOULD be able to dump a metal with a high melting point but a low specific heat into it (something like aluminium?) I'm not really a chemist or anything (duh), and this idea might be retarded, if it is, please tear it apart and let a mod lock it or something, but if someone who thinks this idea borders on the remotely rational and gives me a suggestion, I'd love to try it on a plastic gun or something.

Guns are one thing to try for in cast aluminum or cast magnesium. Here's the main problem with using these materials for armor however:

-Cast Aluminum: Brittle, prone to incredible cracking, very soft (you can carve it with a knife), and overall just not a desirable metal for working with.

-Cast Magnesium: this one should be obvious as its properties are similar to aluminum in durability and magnesium powder is a great fire starter.

I would highly suggest (and I may personally do this as I'm a jeweler and I've been working with metal exclusively for the past 4 years) that you try using these:

-Sheet Brass: It's incredibly easy to work with and very easy to braise (silver solder) together. Very durable, has the ability to be heat treated. Can just as easily be riveted over the top of your resined armor in sections without the need for heat. You can also go over the top of this stuff with a spray rubber base and begin to paint from there. I would suggest an 18 gauge thickness at the very least with a 16 or 14 gauge thickness being the most desirable.

-Sheet Steel: Use the same rivet over the top method as the brass. Again 16-14 gauge thickness most desirable with an 18 gauge minimum!

The up sides to not painting these is that you can get a really cool high polished look when you are done that will last for quite a long time if you use a marine (boat) varnish over the top of it. How friggin' awesome would it be to have a suit of shiny gold or silver armor?

The only downside is the weight factor which isn't very much all things considered. We're talkin' about 60-80 lbs for the full harness (suit), which is about the same weight as the full suits of armor that were worn on the battlefields of medieval Europe.

If you want to save weight, have a lot of money that you are looking to blow, and have the right equipment at your disposal, then you can weld together 16 gauge titanium plates, polish the whole thing up, and anodize them (green, blue, red, gold, any color within the electromagnetic spectrum). This should cut the weight in half and give you something that is totally durable for a few hundred years.

now see, this is why we don't report all dead topics. there IS some good coming from noobies, amirite?

Speaking of Absolute Insanity: I'm beginning construction of a full suit and this is what i've got laid out for it:

-3 weeks (more or less) until Halloween.

-Week 1: Pep everything, f*ck sleep!
-Week 2 : fiberglass everything. Easy to do and relatively quick.
-Week 3: paint & finish

Think I can do it?? Hell yes I can!

The only questions that I have are: 1) How strong is fiberglassed cardstock? I'm thinking about using cardboard inserts on the inside of the armor in order to give strength and form fit.

and 2) Any ideas on securing the armor to the body once finished? I have a black thermal top and a pair of black fatigues that I'll be wearing underneath and I can't think of anything to use as a non conspicuous attachment besides sewing velcro on and sticking the jawns to the thermals, or using hot glue for a more permanent fixation.

gasman7 said:
This is a forum for metal armour. Not your run of the mill fiberglass stuff.

I know this, and i will be fabricating a full suit out of sheet steel when i get the time & money to do so. However, seeing as I'm too new on this site to post up a new topic in order to ask a question i thought i would ask how to attach fiberglass armor to the undersuit for my first full set of armor.

I would like to build a metal armor but I don't have any supplier for thin sheet metal, and my mig welder is in no shape to make delicate welds..
I would at least need a tig welder, and a few bending and flaring tools.

Now if I had the money for it, masters could be made for stamping and we all could have awesome light metal armor..

i have a friend whos dad owns a cnc mill and hes offered to mill me one for 3 grand. 2,000 for metal and 1,000 for the huge amount of time it would take.

zoron said:
i have a friend whos dad owns a cnc mill and hes offered to mill me one for 3 grand. 2,000 for metal and 1,000 for the huge amount of time it would take.

it'd be easier and cheaper just to make an stl file and send it off to a rapid prototyping firm to get it printed off directly in resin. probably only run you about $2000 and you could make a mold out of it for future use and cast it for pretty cheap.

Guess this style of project has been the Holy Grail of Halo costuming....Many people set off on the quest for ultimate awesomeness, but few will survive the challenges ahead and hurdles that impede them from their ultimate goal.

To anyone who can accomplish this, my helmet is off to you! I know given dedication and time....and a expense account that cannot run dry you could probably do anything. Just don't expect it to be cheap. hehe

Darthcalibar said:
I have no idea if this could possibly work but they make this stuff called allumaloy (spelling?). Its like rods of alluminum that you can melt and weld with a butane torch. You could do some experimenting and you may be able to melt a bunch of that into a mold to make armor. On the commercial the melted a bunch of it to replace a part of transmission.

Heres a link to a website about it.
Link

Also just go to ebay and type in allumaloy. You should be able to find some on there.

you're basically talking about a solder casting (we call the brazing process soldering in the jewelry field for some reason). Solder casting is generally cheap and has the potential to yield some pretty good results, however, you will not get as accrate results as you will with actual metal due to the fact that most brazing rods usually have a high zinc content which has an incredibly quick freezing point. You would need a vacuum assist in order to try to accomplish this and you will probably not get a successful cast anyway.

I would definitely stick to casting with just straight up aluminum, bronze, copper, silver, or brass if you wanted to get an accurate cast. in fact the absolute easiest way to get your armor made in metal is to make a flawless .stl file and send it off to a service bureau for printing (try to get the ones that do car rims as they have the biggest stereolithography machines at 26" x 26" x 12", all your armor parts should fit directly). they can then take a mold off of it and then cast it in whatever metal you want. Of course, all this said and done'll probably run you around $10,000 for a full suit of armor but it is the most effective way to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back