Mgalekgolo Twins Build (Halo 4 Hunter Pair)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you for looking at our build thread. This colony is very excited to show the Spartans of Earth our progress on our armor.

We are making full scale Mgalekgolo as seen in Halo 4.

3dmodel.jpg

We are making these Hunters 10' ft tall in a permanent crouching position so humans standing inside do not have to crouch the entire time in stilts.

There are no detailed files of these forms of Hunters that we could find, so we are mainly creating these templates from scratch.

Here is the shield that was drawn based off different reference images using a ruler and calculator. The drawing is done in 1/5 scale. The full shield is 5' long x3' wide.

Shieldtemplate.jpg

Here is the shield template to scale drawn out on poster paper.

shieldtemplate2.jpg

And here is the first front portion of the shield fleshed out on foam.

shield.jpg

We also have started the boots of the Mgalekgolo. We want to focus on making the legs first so humans can get used to walking around in the suit as soon as possible.

bootfull.jpg

boottoefront.jpg

boottoe.jpg

bootshin.jpg

And here is the knee pad separate from the boot and shin.

knee.jpg

Here is the progress on one of the helmets as well.

helmetpb.jpg

helmetcomplete.jpg

We are making the armor out of foam to keep it light, but we will be coating the foam with a special resin that will make it hard to the touch without adding a lot of weight.
We plan on sculpting and molding the worms in sheets and then wrapping them around the open spaces where the worms are visible between the armor plating.

We have big plans for this collaboration and will keep everyone posted as we get progress done.

Thank you for looking at this colony's thread and please share your feedback with us.

Attachments

• 3dmodel.jpg
    3dmodel.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16,057
  • Shieldtemplate.jpg
    Shieldtemplate.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,126
  • helmetpb.jpg
    helmetpb.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 443
  • knee.jpg
    knee.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 467
  • bootshin.jpg
    bootshin.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 424
  • boottoe.jpg
    boottoe.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 469
  • boottoefront.jpg
    boottoefront.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 387
  • bootfull.jpg
    bootfull.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 466
  • shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 593
  • shieldtemplate2.jpg
    shieldtemplate2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 782
  • helmetcomplete.jpg
    helmetcomplete.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 402
Definitely like to see the different builds. Seeing things other than just human forces, and elites, is nice, and part of the reason that I am working on a Yanme'e suit. Be sure to keep us posted on progress.

Holy hell. I've never seen anything even remotely like this attempted. If you can do it, it'll be jawdropping. If you can build a pair, you'll have officially won at the 405th.

Subscribed. Everything looks great so far, I think you really know what you're doing. Can't wait to see more.

We thank everyone for their support already.

To Confirm: We are making a pair of Mgalekgolo. Two Hunters is a lot of work, but we want to make sure our colony is whole and make this look as realistic as possible.

Here is a quick sketch of the suits with a human fitted inside.

sketch.jpg

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 377
The usage of stilts and the lack of control of the lower arms seems a little daring to me. I assume you're going to fix the elbows in place so you can draw the arms up into a combat stance. I'm also wondering how movement will work when the human's shins are where the colony's knees should be, but I don't think I'm imagining movement correctly, given that the mgalekgolo is in a crouched position.

The usage of stilts and the lack of control of the lower arms seems a little daring to me. I assume you're going to fix the elbows in place so you can draw the arms up into a combat stance. I'm also wondering how movement will work when the human's shins are where the colony's knees should be, but I don't think I'm imagining movement correctly, given that the mgalekgolo is in a crouched position.

The sketch is from our planning phase of this project. A lot of ideas are up in the air for actual body placement and will be fleshed out when we get more progress done.

The legs themselves will not be moving around a lot. The human legs inside will have plenty of space to move. The Hunters will be moving in more of a shuffle than actual leg bending.

Right, that makes sense. I shouldn't try to speculate on something so complicated and that I have no hand in the design of, I would be staggered if I was handed this as a task. It's very, very interesting, though, and I can't wait to see how it works.

I laughed at the peanut butter for scale, you guys are alright in my book, haha

Subbed, loved, and my eyes will be peeled for further development. Gosh i'd love to take on a project t like this one day. Best of luck ya' wormy bastards :thumbsup

Right, that makes sense. I shouldn't try to speculate on something so complicated and that I have no hand in the design of, I would be staggered if I was handed this as a task. It's very, very interesting, though, and I can't wait to see how it works.

All of your feedback is appreciated. We want to know what other people think so we have another view of our project. Suggestions may turn into ideas.

I laughed at the peanut butter for scale, you guys are alright in my book, haha

Subbed, loved, and my eyes will be peeled for further development. Gosh i'd love to take on a project t like this one day. Best of luck ya' wormy bastards :thumbsup

We thank you for your support. Peanut butter is a required staple for this colony. Seeing as we do not have jaws, peanut butter is the easiest to consume and is an excellent source of protein.

Funny, I was just looking at that top diagram the other day.

I really want one of those shields as a wall "trophy". Or a replacement door. Maybe on the ceiling!

The 3D model diagram is an excellent reference source. In the very distant future, our shields may become trophies. But we plan on using them for a very long time before that time comes.

Now that takes a lot of imagination, great job. I cant wait to see the more.

I guess you'll get to it when the time comes but I'm really curious about this "special resin" you speak of. What is this black magic, and is it expensive, because you're gonna rack up a lot of surface area to cover by the end? o_O

I too am curious about this special resin. One of my biggest concerns with doing a foam build is the soft texture. If there's a reasonably priced method of giving it a hard finish, that would be really nice.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say its automotive grade. You guys going to use that two part truck bed liner?! That'd be cool to see

I always like to see unique builds. Especially ones about hunters. Subbed for sure!

My guess for the "special resin" is just Epsilon or another brand's equivalent coating epoxy. AeroMarine do some good ones, US Composites has the cheapest ones, I believe. Super messy, but the finish at the end is perfect, hence why it's used for boat hulls and bar tops. That's what I'd use, anyway. As long as it's VOC-free (ie. natural viscosity, not thinned) and the foam isn't polyolefin (epoxy doesn't like EPO), it should be useable on just about anything.

Spray-on truck liner or underbody would probably be cheaper though.

We were planning on using Smooth Cast 65D.

It's a semi-rigid casting resin that will give the foam a hard outside surface without adding a lot of weight and it won't harm the integrity of the foam. We have experimented with this in the past and have found it is pretty flexible as well in thin coats so mobility of the armor is not compromised.

You can find it here.
http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-On-65D...id=1415639506&sr=8-2&keywords=smooth+cast+65d

Ohhh. Yeah, that makes sense. That's pretty popular over foam builds, though it's designed to be semi-rigid (hence your discovery of its flexibility). When you said hard, I thought you meant "knock, knock" hard.

Nice that it's designed to rotocast, too. Should make life easier.

I'm gonna keep an eye on here for sure, I have no doubt that this will be awesome to see! I can't imagine what it would be like in person, even!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back