1st Build Mjolnir Mk. V (K) (First Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanDeadlock

Well... hello!

I'm new to this forum, and english is not my first language, so... if I commit any terrible grammar mistakes, please forgive me.

A couple months ago I decided to build a Mjolnir MK V (K) from Halo Reach, it's my first full armor build and I've chosen the old fashioned fiberglass/bondo method, so probably I'm going to commit a LOT of mistakes and my pieces are going to warp all the way up to oblivion, but I want to show all of the progress anyway because... because yes.

First of all, my first "mistake" was choosing the wrong .pdo file for the helmet. I was planning to get Carter's, but I accidentally picked one from Halo CE (it is a Commando helmet too, but it is almost completely different). But I ended up liking it more than the original, so I'm going to stick with it.

isaac-hannaford-ih-carter-helmet01.jpg
(Carter's commando helmet)
Deadlock.jpg
IMG_20200504_141233_377.jpg
(Halo CE version of the Commando helmet)

Man, the pepakura process is PAINSTAKING.
The helmet was pretty easy to be honest, but those FOREARMS. (All I thought while I was assembling them was how much I'd like to set everything on FIRE.)

IMG_20200513_191014_662.jpg
(but everything came out nicely :D )

IMG_20200521_224150_253.jpg
IMG_20200516_013257_677.jpg
IMG_20200521_225429_552.jpg

Thighs and shins completed. (and I had to try them on... sorry but I could't help it)

IMG_20200527_230111_401.jpg

I also finished the chest piece, and to my surprise it was one of the easiest pieces to put together, it wasn't nearly as hard as some others (I'M WATCHING YOU, FOREARMS)

20200528_171554.jpg

This is all I have so far. By now all pieces were resined and I'm going to fiberglass a few of them tomorrow.
The COD piece, shoulders, kneeguards and boots are going to be made out of foam because I need some flexibility and low weight on those areas.

So... wait for more!

I guess...

I'm new to this forum, and english is not my first language, so... if I commit any terrible grammar mistakes, please forgive me.
As someone who speaks English as an only language, your English seems to be better than mine! This is looking awesome so far, keep up the great work!

That helmet is so cool! I didn't even know there was a CE version of the commando. I wonder if it's from a mod or something. Either way it looks sick!

Also your English is really good. I probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't say anything.

You are brave, going the good ol paper, resin, and fiberglass route, looking forward to your build, the amount of sanding though, :rolleyes: I hate sanding

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of the support!
And yes, it is from a Halo CE mod called "Carter V2"!

Update 1:

All pieces were successfully resined

20200601_224008.jpg
20200601_224028.jpg

The helmet is now fiberglassed and OMG IT WAS ONE HECK OF A MESS, but I did it

20200601_223946.jpg

Any tips to avoid completely covering myself and everything around me in resin and fiberglass mat while doing this process?

The pepakura work on this spartan-III is amazing! I never knew a mod was made to bring carter to ce though Ive never had experience with fiberglass before may be using a huge cloth or an old table and gloves to keep the resin from going on yourself. Still just love how you chose the carter helmet a good choice!

Update 2:

20200602_201343.jpg

The gauntlets were fiberglassed and the resin is now curing

PSX_20200602_211730.jpg

The helmet is ready to be bondo'ed, but I'll wait until all of the other pieces get fiberglassed so I can work one process at a time. I also got the visor and did a test fit, it looks pretty good!

I'm 100% out of resin, but I'll get some more in a few days.
Meanwhile I'll try to work on the foam COD piece.

Last edited:
Update 2:

View attachment 291307
The gauntlets were fiberglassed and the resin is now curing

View attachment 291308
The helmet is ready to be bondo'ed, but I'll wait until all of the other pieces get fiberglassed so I can work one process at a time. I also got the visor and did a test fit, it looks pretty good!

I'm 100% out of resin, but I'll get some more in a few days.
Until there I'll try to work on the foam COD piece.
That helmet is looking pretty cool!

Any tips to avoid completely covering myself and everything around me in resin and fiberglass mat while doing this process?
To avoid covering your workspace... do it outside on grass if possible. I found it useful to use two small working tables and long scrap 2X2 piece of wood to span the tables, hang the pieces on it through them if possible (use popsicles sticks for support to stop the edges from touching). Lay a garbage blanket down under it to avoid drips killing your lawn.

To avoid getting it on yourself... wear a long-sleeve shirt you are willing to throw away... wear surgical gloves and put them over the bottom of your sleeves. Cry when all of that still doesn't work... we will console you because it never works for us either.

Update 5:

(1st pic)
The chest is almost fully fiberglassed, I'm waiting for the top part to cure so I can work on the bottom.
I had almost no problems with warping at all (thankfully), some pieces got minor warps but those can be fixed with bondo, so I'm not worried about them.

(2nd pic)
On the top shelf I have the fiberglassed parts, and the pieces that haven't been fiberglassed yet are on the bottom shelf
20200610_194634.jpg
20200610_194610.jpg

Update 7:

Uhmm... Well, this is what I was able to make with EVA... Not very good, but I'm trying to do my best, does that count? Lol
Mk. V and Commando shoulders are done
(I'll add those details on that curved part of the commando shoulder tomorrow because I'm out of EVA)

Now I'm moving on to the boots!
IMG_20200615_224136_075.jpg

Last edited:
Hey SpartanDeadlock. Everything is looking Amazeballs!!!! You said this is your first build.....you mean that this is your first time building this particular suit.....right? Because this is going to be top tier work!!!! Your foamsmithing isn't as bad as you think. Remember, we are our own worst critique. You might see the 1000 flaws, but to someone else, it looks great. It's all a matter of perspective. You're doing great. keep up the same quality you are working at and you will have a great suit in the end.

Hey SpartanDeadlock. Everything is looking Amazeballs!!!! You said this is your first build.....you mean that this is your first time building this particular suit.....right? Because this is going to be top tier work!!!! Your foamsmithing isn't as bad as you think. Remember, we are our own worst critique. You might see the 1000 flaws, but to someone else, it looks great. It's all a matter of perspective. You're doing great. keep up the same quality you are working at and you will have a great suit in the end.

Thank you so much!!! This kind of support really motivates me to keep going
It is my first time building Halo armor, a couple years ago I made both the Veteran Ranger and Elite Riot Ranger from Fallout, but those suits are very simple if compared to the Mjolnir
Thank you again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back