Mk II Supra Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lieutenant Jaku

Sr Member
Well... there was no right place to put this but I think this is close enough. This is my big build that I'm slowly picking away at. Like Baz its also a Mk II, just not the same thing...
Anyway I went up to Ohio a few weeks ago and brought home a 1985 Toyota Supra Mk II and 2 grand less of money. As you might Imagine, a 2 grand car needs uhh... a bit of work to say the least. Luckily for me, the car at least kind of runs. it needs some body work and definitely electrical and transmission work but it's do-able.
The interior is in amazing shape but I'll have to strip it out anyway to fix rust spots before putting it back in. They also did many weird things to the car in the past including hot-wiring it for no good reason, since the car hasn't been stolen and we have all the legal papers.
For the 2 grand it also came with extra doors, fenders, tail lights, steering column a whole engine, and more misc parts. I'm pretty excited to get working on this since this generation of the Supra is probably my favorite production car that has been made.
I should also mention that this was an automatic that had a manual transmission swapped in. Currently it has no E-brake and sometimes likes to start going backwards when started.
So, we'll see how far I get...
KIMG2330.jpgKIMG2360.JPGKIMG2358.JPGKIMG2348.JPGIMG_1303.jpgIMG_1295.jpg

just a project to fix and drive. I wanted a car to fix up, but wanted one I would love to have and drive afterwards, otherwise the effort seems kind-of pointless.
Pretty cool man, I've always got respect for a fellow DIYer. Admittedly not a car guy myself, but I've fully taken apart and rebuilt a small engine and done plenty of non-car diy stuff so I can appreciate the effort :)

Ehhh to each his own. I'd love to pick up a clean body 350z or similar to drop a LS in, I've never kept any nissians longer then a year though, but my sons titan has 330k and still ticks great so they have my support. Enjoy the project!
Don't get me wrong, an LS is a great engine but I like the original engine for now and if I was gonna drop in a new engine I would do something more quirky like rotary

Hell yeah, mk2 are so sexy, I got a mk3 body, and I love it! I'll have to post here in a minute, also good luck man, its looks almost perfect inside! Wiring is kinda crazy easy, you got this!
wiring is definitely crazy, not sure about easy. there are odd things done to the car, such as you have to flick on brights to pop up the headlights, then turn to headlights on and they'll stay up. We'll see when we get to that point...
I'd love to see some picks of yours if you'd like to share them.

So...
I got a little sidetracked from this with HOD coming up. I also had some problems. Such as the bolt holding the caliper shut just spins but doesn't come out. And other stuff is rust welded. But I found out something. I'm missing rear struts or whatever it's called in the coilovers.
Annoying and a big problem.
KIMG2443.JPG

Also some self promotion, if you want to see more often stuff on this... Probably, you can follow my Instagram lieutenant_jaku

About time for an update,
Been doing fiberglass work, some exterior work and generally just figuring out more problems
Last night we finally got one of the rear brake calipers open and figured out the other won't open because a bolt was shoved in there that was too big, probably by the owner before the guy I bought it from
I don't have pictures of the fiberglass/bodywork on this phone so I'll upload some when I get home.
IMG_20200309_155855965_HDR.jpgIMG_20200309_195510289.jpgIMG_20200309_195836524.jpg

Wow that’s quite the project. You seem to be making great progress though. Good luck with the rest of it can’t wait to see it when it’s finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back