Mk Vi Cobalt Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.
phenry said:
Awesome work, the Scout helmet is definitely one of my favorites, and we don't see enough of them. Keep it up!

I totally agree, I really dig the Scout look. Thanks for the encouragement.

c00ki3monster said:
Looks good. The helmet kind of looks big but I may be wrong. Other than that you pretty much set to move on.

The helmet is indeed too large. I'd hate to scrap it after coming so far, though. So I plan to finish it up, and make a much better, properly sized one in the future.

Anyway, haven't posted anything about the armor in a while. Have almost everything pepped. I'm racing the clock to finish by PAX, which is a bad idea, but maybe I'll work well under pressure?

Here's how it's looking so far. I'd post more images, but I need to get back to work so I can start fiberglassing, although I do have some Smooth-On on the way for the trickier pieces.

th_scout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah man looks great the scout is not one of my fav armor but its growing on me can't what to see it finished keep up the good work man

I'm working fast to get stuff done by PAX also. I'll have some ODST stuff to show hopefully. Hope to see you there!

PS I just got back from training at Hawthorne, near Reno. :)

kinda lat to say this but what was the scale for the helm. iam working on a scout hel to and despretly need help with scaleing. i tottaly suck at scaleing....to meany mess ups.... ty

animemannn said:
kinda lat to say this but what was the scale for the helm. iam working on a scout hel to and despretly need help with scaleing. i tottaly suck at scaleing....to meany mess ups.... ty

The Scout is hard to figure out with how the visor is set into the helm. Sadly, I made my helmet before I got smart and started taking notes of what scales I use. So, I measured the scout I show here... and it turns out I didn't scale it from the file at all.... which would be why it is so huge. I'm totally finished with pepping the rest of my armor, so I'm moving on to fiberglassing. While I have some downtime between layers, I plan to try to figure out a better scale. I'll let you know what I figure out.

I've been checking up on this armor for awhile ever since I saw that you posted it on the 405th. Good jbo and keep up the great work on it!

animemannn said:
cool thanks, scaleing up the armor is so difficult. I never got a hold of it.

Alright, so I made a new helmet. It seems to fit my melon actually pretty well, with a tiny bit of room for some padding. I used a measurement of 230mm for the height, or 94.65 for the scale. However, I notice that you're quite a bit younger than me. I wear a size 7 1/8 baseball cap if that helps. If you have a noggin close to that, my scale may work for you, or adjust down just slightly. I still haven't figured out the whole "scaling formula", so this is what I have to offer... hope it helps.

Well well, 7 more days until I leave for Seattle, and the awesomeness that is PAX. I however, could not allow myself to go as the "Bobblehead Scout", so I built another low res helm to better fit me, as previously mentioned. I have many a picture, so I'm just going to post links so I don't eat all of teh bandwidths.... om nom nom-

th_P0908212242382.jpg- An "In Progress" shot to show the fit on my dome.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CtrlAltDestroy/?action=view&current=PICT0679.jpg]th_PICT0679.jpg[/URL]- Doesn't look much smaller, but it fits so much better. (Insert "That's what she said" joke here)

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CtrlAltDestroy/?action=view&current=PICT06822.jpg]th_PICT06822.jpg[/URL]- tried my hand at using some Smooth-On. So much faster to use, and a very clean result. No more jagged helm spikes to impale my eyes on!

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CtrlAltDestroy/?action=view&current=PICT0678.jpg]th_PICT0678.jpg[/URL]- However, this stuff is crazy fast and very strong. I set down my handplate to slush my helmet, and it fused to my workbench. This is all that remains... probably forever. New handplate already built and slushed.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CtrlAltDestroy/?action=view&current=PICT0689.jpg]th_PICT0689.jpg[/URL]- Seeing how everything works against each other at the moment to see if anything needs to be adjusted. Helmet feels much better. The first helm used to bump into the backpack posts, so I couldn't turn my head.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/CtrlAltDestroy/?action=view&current=DSC00055.jpg]th_DSC00055.jpg[/URL]- Can't tell here, but boots are on as well. Shins and thighs seem a bit large, but they should work for now. Do need to trim away some more room to bend my knee and be able to clear the other pieces around them.

So, that's where I stand. Helm needs to be resin'd on the exterior then trim away the visor. Only the gauntlets and biceps need to be cleaned, then body filler time. Still not entirely sure how the hell I'm going to attach the CQB plate to the left arm, but I'll working something out somehow. Underarmour is on the way through the mail, and will be here in the next day or two. Hoping to paint on sunday, install lights and straps on monday, padding on tuesday, then head out for PAX on wednesday.

....... I don't think I'll be sleeping much. But that's what the 30 hour bus ride to Seattle is for. =D

Looking good man! The new helm is a nice fit, and yeah, smooth-on is really fast and easy to work with.

PAX is fast approaching, can't wait to see your suit finished there! I'll be hopping on amtrack wednesday evening.

Found online:

500x_IMG_0355_01.jpg

pax000cosplaysept40009.jpg

Looks just like your picture. :)

Only got to talk to you for a second, and lost you amidst the hustle and bustle of clearing out the room, but hope I run into you again tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm double posting.

Made the Bungie twitter!

BAM

It was great meeting you dude. Awesome armor in case I didn't say it enough already. :)

Awesome, thanks for all the links, Trooper!! I'm still trying to catch up with all the madness.

As for anyone else who had been following the thread (all 3 of you), you probably noticed a huge jump from "Work in Progress" to "Ready to Wear". Well, that's because I quit my job and pretty much work on my armor 20 hours a day for the last week I had left before PAX. I also owe a LOT of help to 2 people: My buddy EarthLore (aka Will [whom isn't a member here... yet. That's his Gamertag]) and my nextdoor neighbor, a salty old handyman and former Hollywood prop maker. Without their assistance with the strapping, padding, and painting, there's no way I would have finished on time.

So, I pretty much finished everything on Tuesday the 1st, since Earth and I were leaving for Seattle Wednesday afternoon. Got in one quick test fit that night with likable results. After the test fit, added a bit more padding to support the chest and calves (which didn't help any). Looking back on it now, I'm extremely surprised everything stayed together. I certainly owe it to DogWizard's Armor Strapping Thread. Luckily, I had a harness and tach belt left over from a Naked Snake costume I did a while back. Tell you what, though... It is IMPOSSIBLE to find web strapping during Burning Man. I'll make sure to stock up before hand next time.

The entire armor set survived the 20+ hour Greyhound bus trip with only the barrel of my crappy stand-in AR falling off (which was just glued back on) and a useless chunk of my left shoulder breaking... which wound up increasing my mobilty. Heheh... ^^; Went to the con geared up for the first 2 days. First day, right out of the gate, I dropped and cracked my helmet from the jawline straight up to the visor. I'm mostly just glad it stayed in one piece and didn't shatter, and that the visor stayed put, but I was very down on myself for letting such a dumb mistake happen. A roommate picked up and broke my AR again so I stuck some velcro to keep it attached. Later on, Trooper would come to the rescue with an emergency hot glue gun repair. Thanks again!!

Before heading out on the second day, the epoxy holding both plungers and my armor toes decided to give way, so those were left behind. That didn't stop me from having another great day with Trooper, his sis, and Fearless Son.

As Trooper pointed out, I somehow made the Bungie twitter, as well as Hawty McBloggy, Kotaku, and was interviewed by Halo Waypoint alongside Trooper and his sis. After all was said and done, I wound up donating my cracked helmet to Child's Play. Trooper has some more info on the charity auction that's going on over in his Child's Play thread.

As for me, time to get cracking on making this thing better. Everything was so rushed and ghetto rigged, that I feel I can do a LOT better job. Get a better helm, actually make a decent weapon, get to cracking on an undersuit, etc... so be looking forward to more out of me!

gnomeAI-1.jpg

3ODSTand2Spartans.jpg

paxstavaganzagiantbomb.jpg

PICT0720.jpg

PICT0733.jpg

twowingedspartan.png

Hale said:

"wait they gave john a chick AI! no offense Walter. OH and shes not wearing anything.... oh, i got screwed." (looks at knome) "What???"

Savvy

I saw the Aion booth on Sunday...wish I had my suit so I could take a cool picture like yours.

Oh well, we got Gnome AI, hadoukens, rock paper scissor, and dancing Spartans/ODSTs galore, so it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back