Mk Vi Cobalt Scout

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cracks knuckles:

Man, I've been away a while. Time to get right back into the swing of this. Sorry for necro-posting to my own topic, but I didn't want to start a new one, plus this is still work building up on the same armor suit. Hope that's alright...

Back around Halloween time, PrimalWeyland (AKA- Crucible ) contacted me, wanting to help me out make a new Scout helmet. After a couple weeks of modifying NZ-TK's HD model, I now have something resembling this:

cruciblescoutv5.png

Well, after a long Winter hibernation, I'm finally getting back into gear and started up the Pep build yesterday. I must say, I'm digging the Crucible mod. The inner rim of the helm actually LOOKS like a helmet, and will hopefully fix the weakness problem I had in the first build, and will actually keep the thing on my head in the first place.

th_P1002210800173.jpgth_P1002210802215.jpg

More progress on that to come...

sweet! nice to see there are still scouts roaming 'round here :D youre not by any chance going to comic con this year, are you?

Yep yep, still sneaking around.

youre not by any chance going to comic con this year, are you?

Man... I wish. I would if it wasn't for all but Thursday and Sunday passes being sold out for months now.

yeah, it's crazy....i just hope i can get those days, the only day that im not going is saturday, i get to miss the masquerade :(

....... That looks awesome, I'm already waiting to see what that helmet will look like finished.

Sadly, not a lot to update. Finally got a correct size on the Pep scale. The last 2 wound up being a hair too small/large. This one should do just fine. Have the next 2 days off, so as long as the weather doesn't get extremely crappy (like the news says it will), I'll at least be getting a layer or two of resin layed down.

th_P1003221847232.jpg

Edit- Damn you, predicted crappy weather! Rain and high winds are making it impossible to get working on the helmet.

Time for an update.

New Scout helm is coming along nicely. Got it rondo'd and began roughly setting in the details of the helm. All details have been placed [including some areas for LEDs], and a light layer of primer has been added to find the imperfections... and holy crap, I've got some work to do.

th_newscoutrondo.png th_scout5-8-10rough.pngth_scout5-8-10primer.png

In other armor news, I've got some other things I'm doing to get this thing back up and running. After looking at the pictures that had been posted elsewhere and getting nothing but comments about what I was wearing under my armor, I went to a fabric store and bought some upholstery. Basically just using BlueRealm's armor thread to figure out how to make a better looking undersuit. Not really a lot of headway on that one other than having cut out the pieces for the neck seal. I have no way to sew them together at the moment, so no pics.

Also, decided I'd like to stop using the toy AR I bought and want to get a much better weapon. I have no clue as how to ask about who takes commissions on weapons without getting in trouble, so I decided I'd make bevbor's Needler instead. It isn't Halo 3, but I can't find one of those anywhere and I sure as heck can't model it myself.

Anyway, that's enough out of me for now. Back to the peps!

charlieiscool12 said:
so the pictures at the top all have no bondo at all? wow, thats pretty flipping sweet!

If you mean the pictures at the top of the previous post... then no, they actually do have a layer of resin and bondo applied to a majority of the top. Heh, I wish I was able to make peps that smooth on my first try. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hale said:
:cracks knuckles:

Back around Halloween time, our very own Crucible [whom I've not seen around in a while now. :sadface:] contacted me, wanting to help me out make a new Scout helmet. After a couple weeks of modifying NZ-TK's HD model, I now have something resembling this:

cruciblescoutv5.png

More progress on that to come...

Hale, great work on this, is the modded NZ-TK model available to download? If so, what scale did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?

Squishy said:
Love the skull stand. Can't think of a better way of saying that.

Heheh, yeah... Have to use what is available. I have no clue where to pick up a mannequin for cheap, so this is the next best thing.

Justanuthercap said:
Hale, great work on this, is the modded NZ-TK model available to download? If so, what scale did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?

Not really available for download... I'd have to get permission from both Crucible and NZ-TK to distribute it. But if you like, I wouldn't mind sending it your way, along with my scaling notes.

phixix said:
Wow this is looking super-amazing, especially all the detail ^__^ Keep it up!-Phi

I shall certainly try. Weather is finally getting better, so back out to the garage I go to get this looking the best I can.

Bleh... 2 months and almost nothing to show for it. Work is killing my costume schedule. Hard to sand when I don't get home until after 8... neighbors aren't too fond of me outside causing all that noise when they're trying to sleep. Anyway, onward toward PAX. Attempting to have all of my hard armor finished before August so I may work on padding, a Needler, and coming up with an undersuit. Also been playing around with some wiring- LEDs and fans, and everything is looking good on that end- very basic and amateurish, but it works.

Lots of sanding. Also, needed to think ahead... visor installation last helmet was near impossible, so I took a few steps with some Rondo to make sure I had a thick and even surface around the inner visor rim for which to apply epoxy later on.
th_DSC00115.jpgth_DSC00116.jpgth_DSC00117.jpgth_DSC00118.jpg

Wanted a custom look over my last Scout, so I looked for an add on. Wound up with Buck's ODST helmet comm (I believe it was modeled by Nintendude. Not sure on that, I'll change credit when I find out). Gonna take a little editing to fit the shape of the helmet.
th_DSC00121.jpgth_DSC00119.jpgth_DSC00120.jpgth_DSC00122.jpg

As for the rest of the armor, everything is in desperate need of some sanding to smooth out from the pep and fiberglass work from last year. So this last weekend, I spent all day and an entire can of Bondo on getting some Rondo coverage into every single piece I have so I can sand to smoothness and get some detail.
th_DSC00137.jpgth_DSC00133.jpgth_DSC00134.jpgth_DSC00136.jpg

Lastly, the helmet itself has been getting the most attention obviously, already started getting into the much higher grit paper and filling in pinholes with spot putty- even did a little battle damage. Was hoping to go for the "took a Brute Shot blade to the face" look!
th_DSC00135-1.jpg

More updates to come this week, hopefully.

Did I comment on this yet? eh. I saw this yesterday. I like your color/armor choice. Not many like yours running around (at least from what I've seen).

Hale, I love your progress on the scout helmet and if you don't mind my asking, I too would like to ask for your file if you wouldn't mind sharing it with me.

Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back