Mkvi Helmet Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPervySage

well this is my first halo pep creation just got 1 question can it be salvaged after i fiberglass it by sanding?
well here it is
DSC00168.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

My first one had similar tilts to it, though not as extreme. Mine was fixed by holding it in place so that it's the right shape and then reinforcing it with tape and hot gluing the inside. I then put in all the supports and resined the outside and it was A-OK. Just make sure it's the right shape before putting on resin/fiberglass and you'll be fine.

In all fairness the work involved to get a really really nice helmet maybe too hard from that base but if nothing else I'd put the struts in and resin it to see if it will straighten out some. If you can get rid of the vast majority of the warping by the time you've finished glassing it then you'd be fine, otherwise look on it as good experience for the next one.

As a rough guide, my helmet has some very minor warping but its taking forever (8 hours plus) to get the symmetry back with bondo and sanding so it may save you time in the long run to abandon this one early if you can't fix it in the glassing stage. Whatever you decide m8, good luck its quite daunting the HD MKVI as I've found ;) .

I agree with the above, better to redo than to make even more work trying to fix something thats borked.

id look at the weight of the card stock your using... if its strong enough, there should never be any warping.

:D ehh seems like you could salvage it .. ehh but then im just a nooby XD

ahaha at least you dont have to worry about the face plate cost i went and got an estimate on the price for my EVA face plate ... wanted to cry .... then again i want high durability soo i guess its worth it

well here's the deal (sorry it took so long to reply) right now i am cutting out the supports for the helmet.
I used 110# card stock and it still warped...
a question on glassing... based on my helmet which should i do inside (has a lot of tabs) or outside (loses detail & smoothness) or i could slap a visor on it, resin it, and use it as a lamp shade and start a new one

Did all of your numbers line up? I used 110 and it was fine as far as card weight goes.

I think you can salvage it with some support struts and TLC.

Finnish_Spartan said:
Looks okay, but i recomend practicing a bit more to get it perfect for resin, what type of paper did you use?

-FSS
the first helmet i done i left out putting the paper visor in and it warped badly the 2nd helmet i put the visor in and it was ok

Last edited by a moderator:
smasher said:
the first helmet i done i left out putting the paper visor in and it warped badly the 2nd helmet i put the visor in and it was ok
I know what you mean, i fiberglassed 4 helmets before i got to, where i am now..

-FSS

Did all of your numbers line up?
just about all of em, just a couple didn't
what type of paper did you use?
i used xerox 110# paper
I don't have any money right now to do the resin or the fiberglass so i got some time to get this helmet perfect... starting today

PervySage said:
just about all of em, just a couple didn't

i used xerox 110# paper
I don't have any money right now to do the resin or the fiberglass so i got some time to get this helmet perfect... starting today
i used a thick card and glued the templates to it i use glue and sticky tape to hold the helmet to gether but some time the resin will react with the sticky tape coarsening the tape to lift or bubble which ment more work 4 me when i came to bodyfiller but iv now learned from my mistakes

PervySage said:
well here's the deal (sorry it took so long to reply) right now i am cutting out the supports for the helmet.
I used 110# card stock and it still warped...
a question on glassing... based on my helmet which should i do inside (has a lot of tabs) or outside (loses detail & smoothness) or i could slap a visor on it, resin it, and use it as a lamp shade and start a new one

If you do go as far as glassing you would first resin the outside of the helmet (one section at a time), then let it dry. you then glass the inside of the helmet so the details remain outside. If you cannot afford the resin just yet I'd give building another one a shot anyway and see how it looks. Just take your time and use what you've learned already and you'll do fine, that last helmet wasn't far off being a good base.

If I were you, I would just work on that piece, it would be easier for someone like me to work with an existing piece and make it even, than it would be for me to start from scratch. Something else that I have found both looking at others work and the work I have done myself, semity is hard to get working with the pep.

My two cents anyways, I would say just unfold and re-forl some of it, and just use a lil elbow grease and you could have a fine looking helmet there.

The reason it's warped that way doesn't have to do with the weight of the cardstock. It has to do with slight misalignments in gluing folds as you built the model. It's much harder to try and fix something after the fact than doing it right the first time. I would cut the model where the major warp points are and see if I couldn't straighten it out. If that didn't work I would rebuild the paper model again. Fiberglassing just sets in stone what you've done on paper.

Best of luck on your project! Looking forward to what you decide to try.

i think i may redo the helmet and just use this one as a lamp shade but if i do redo it should i glue the tabs on the outside?
should i use a lower res-model or do the same one just take my time?
not sure what im gonna do...

Always glue the tabs on the inside and do the Hi-res. It will save you a lot of detailing work down the road. Just take it slow and make sure you put the model together as perfectly as you can. Double-check the scale too if you decide to redo. There's nothing worse than sinking a lot of time into making a perfect pep that turns out to be too big or small. :D

k the supports straightened the front out...but it didn't fix the back.
so I'm gonna resin it,bondo it,and paint it...so i can get a feel for it
but i need to know does it look too big?
also doesn't it look too wide? (i didn't resize it...)
DSC00191.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

my ears barely fit through it...
what glue should i use on the next 1?

PervySage said:
k the supports straightened the front out...but it didn't fix the back.
so I'm gonna resin it,bondo it,and paint it...so i can get a feel for it
but i need to know does it look too big?
also doesn't it look too wide? (i didn't resize it...)
DSC00191.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

my ears barely fit through it...
what glue should i use on the next 1?

it looks the right size to me. think about after you've addded in padding and what ever it is your gonna wear on your face to hide your neck etc, thats gonna bulk it out more. ive planned on lining my helmet with foam and material so it fits perfectly snug. nice work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back