Mother Mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrewardB52

Hi, i'v just used fiber glass as a mother mold for my forearm sculpt and was not impressed. Is there anything else i can use? (not plaster) i need it move permanent. I'v searched the web and all i can find is the smooth on products, which are hard to get in the uk and priced to high for a beginner's hobby project. Please help it's really holding me back.

Thanks

fiberglass should have been fine. Did you use mat or cloth?

I sometimes use fiberglass and alot of others on here use that as a mothermold material

I like your sculpt btw. It's Very nice. Is it a Mark 4 or 6?

because you got very artistic in your interpretation and I love that.

Self Expression in your design is the way to go.

Im sorry I cant be much help, but I'm curious, what type of clay did you use? (if it's NSP then Soft, Medium or Hard?)

i make my mother molds out of fiberglass resin and kitty hair fiber. not the mesh stuff. i do 2 layers to make sure it is stronge, mainly along the dam edges.

mrbungle said:
i make my mother molds out of fiberglass resin and kitty hair fiber. not the mesh stuff. i do 2 layers to make sure it is stronge, mainly along the dam edges.

You have to keep it strong around those dam edges!

"Welcome to the Dam tour. I will be your Dam tour guide. Take all the Dam pictures you want and ask all the Dam questions you have. After, you can get all your Dam souvenirs in the Dam gift shop." - quote, Vegas Vacation

I've use FB many times, not for a mother mold, but it is still the same type of application. We might be able to help better if you explained what went wrong.

On the other hand, FB is really cheap. The only other cheap option would be plaster bandages.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in the UK, check with your local molding dealer, I'm sure they have mother mold compounds of their brand.

If they import Smooth-on products, plasti-paste II is a solution.

well this is the problem i'm having, the fiber glass wont sit perfectly tight to the silicon because there are to many angles, leaving air in between the two.(no matter how thin the cloth is.) so all the detail and smooth areas don't come out and are in the wrong place.

Ghost147 said:
Im sorry I cant be much help, but I'm curious, what type of clay did you use? (if it's NSP then Soft, Medium or Hard?)

[/quote

grey water based modeling clay. standard stuff really

well you could always use carbon fiber than fiber glass, a little more expensive but lighter more durable and for some reasons doesnt give as much air bubbles as fiber glass.

hi mate im from the uk and found these guy not bad priced and got loads of cool stuff they do smooth on products as well and if you email them they are really helpful telling you what you need

http://www.grs.ie/

nomercyg said:
well you could always use carbon fiber than fiber glass, a little more expensive but lighter more durable and for some reasons doesnt give as much air bubbles as fiber glass.

i'll look in to that thanks.

Well i'v ordered my self some ; Smooth on plasti-paste 1gal (for the mother mold)

sooth cast 300 1 gal from bentley (there goes my ferrari fund!!)

life form silicon 2kg from mouldlife.co.uk

I'll let you know how i got on. i wanted to use smooth on dragonskin but £200 for a gallon i don't think so!!

SupermanExtreme1 said:
fiberglass should have been fine. Did you use mat or cloth?

I sometimes use fiberglass and alot of others on here use that as a mothermold material

I like your sculpt btw. It's Very nice. Is it a Mark 4 or 6?

because you got very artistic in your interpretation and I love that.

Self Expression in your design is the way to go.

i'm just looking at alot of pic's and going from there really. i want my suit to me my own and not a copy, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Please, use the edit button instead of posting 5 times.

And I tought a gallon was bigger... I tought that was a quart or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back