Muddy Secrets Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot for the pic, Sigma, I just ordered one off of ebay and it's on its way right now. And just so I don't waste space in both topics, your Hayabusa looks like it's doing well!

Ok so I have a quick question. In the first post your helm looks like it already has another material applied to the pep model before you poured on the mud. I was wondering if that was resin and primer or did you apply something else first? I am working on Robo's hand plates and was thinking of trying this process on them.

Thanks

P.S. Post #1 !!

SPARTAN G-099 said:
Ok so I have a quick question. In the first post your helm looks like it already has another material applied to the pep model before you poured on the mud. I was wondering if that was resin and primer or did you apply something else first? I am working on Robo's hand plates and was thinking of trying this process on them.

Thanks

P.S. Post #1 !!

I believe that the helmet has just been fiberglassed and primed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably too much air trapped in the mud. Nothing a little bondo glaze won't fix. Try adding a little more resin to your future batches and see if that doesn't help.

You can sand the basic shape with a dremel but the final sanding must be done with some type of power sander or sandpaper/sanding sponge

Sigma-LS said:
I know. Those dudes are smart, my 001 Sean Helm is made of mud, and so was my old Link helm. The difference is that they are using it as a casting material.
Robo- np, not that your models need much of this ;)

Edit: Uh, where did the other replies go?

Casting material? Does this mean solid resin/bondo is strong enough to be used as the main cast? This is very interesting.

I was thinking of using fiberglass mat with resin to make a solid fiberglass/resin helmet and torso piece, but something liquid works much better getting into tight corners and such.

hey im trying this method but im not sure if im doing it right.
is this how im suppose to do it?
[attachment=2963:IMG00159.JPG]
[attachment=2964:IMG00160.JPG]
[attachment=2965:IMG00161.JPG]

Can the bondo with fiber strands in it be used to make it a little stronger? I have used both kinds of bondo in auto bodywork and they work the same for me without the resin.

Dont use the kind with fiberglass in it, it is drier and isnt as good, others have tried it and thought it was the same for armor. Just use the normal kind of bondo.

Sigma-LS said:
I believe they still add in layers of fiberglass for strength. Sean or Link, please correct me if I'm wrong.

we use the mudd as a beauti coat then we add the mat or cloth for strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back