My 4th try at a properly scaled helmet/armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan1366

I have been a member for more than a year now and I cant seem to get the helmet sized right but this is the 4th try and its looking promising

I am in the process of adding photos but my ipod doesn't allow me to upload them to photobucket.
My 4th helmet might be just slightly to small. :(
I am using the MKVI_HD_HELM_FLYINGSQUIRL file to build my helmets can some one help me with sizing?

I know you've been a member for more than a year now (actually, going on two years!), but I'm not sure if you've seen this or not...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

The method HaloGoddess points out is the way I've scaled every one of the helmets I've built (I've only finished one, and have one to near-completion, but I've pepped about half a dozen helmets, all of which fit me well). I also used this method for the rest of my Mk VI armor (thread in signature). This is the most sure-fire method I've seen to get pieces scaled to fit your body.

I am VERY VERY VERY VERY happy to inform everyone that the helmet I have currently been working on (the 4th helmet I have made) fits me perfectly :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lol my 4h shirt that I where for fiber glassing and working on armor in general

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there was some warping from the rondo that I will try to fix with bondo

Ooh, that's going to be a bear to fix with bondo. If nothing else, at least you know the right size now.

yea I was disappointed with my first helmet because it warped a lot (and probably because I winged it and rushed it). I think it warped a lot because I left the visor off and I didn't put in any supports. I thought this one wouldn't warp at all because I put like 3/4 of the supports in but there are no supports there. well at least next time I rondo a helmet I will know not to put to much rondo there at a time.
and thanks for the link carpathiavh99
oh and your build inspired me to go work on my armor right now

I'd actually advise to ease up on the rondo. Rondo has the tendency to shrink and warp pep pieces (as with the case of my original shins in my Mk VI build). One light coat of rondo on the inside (thin, slow curing) followed by a layer of fiberglass cloth will give you the best result IME.

thanks for the advise. I was actually trying to decide if I should use rondo or if I should use fiberglass cloth and mat, and now I am going with cloth and mat

I just got back inside from rondoing thin spots

Soon I will have some pictures of the bondo work where the helmet warped. I would like your opinion on how it looks so far

today I went to a friends house and when I came back I found an amazing gift on the table... a HUGE thing of bondo which is great because I was out. tomorrow I am going to work on filling in that warped area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back