my bondo is acting strangely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moz

No matter how little hardener I put into the mix it still manages to dry into a clumpy mess in under 5 minutes. It tends to dry on the cardboard before I can even get it off?

is there some way to thin out the body filler?

Also, about Mud (bondo and resin) is it 1:1? And is it strong enough to use in the place of fibreglass matting?

How much Body filler are you using in a batch? I always use a dog poop sized pile, and only a little bit of filler, and are you mixing it throughly? I had a bit of a problem with that, I got large dark red streaks in my bondo.

you can do the bondo and resin to thin it out.

No it's not strong enough to replace the use of fiberglass.

and if you only want to thin out the body filler a little bit do a 2:1 ratio of bondo:resin

that's what i do for smoothing stuff out, and it gets the bondo to the consistency of like Elmer's school glue. Makes it much easier to work with if you ask me.

Ironcobra3000 said:
How much Body filler are you using in a batch? I always use a dog poop sized pile, and only a little bit of filler, and are you mixing it throughly? I had a bit of a problem with that, I got large dark red streaks in my bondo.
Wait a second... How big is your dog?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i've been using mud to actually cover my helmet, (Same concept as Spase with his Glaze idea)
and it's working out, i'm gonna try that 2:1 Ratio cgspartan mentioned, i've been doing a 1:1 ratio and it's to runny and although gives a smooth surface it makes puddle areas and such. anyhow, yeah i definately recommend the Mud idea to anyone on a tighter budget that can't afford glaze on top of the resin and bondo.

-Justin

tonsofhoopla said:
yeah, i've been using mud to actually cover my helmet, (Same concept as Spase with his Glaze idea)
and it's working out, i'm gonna try that 2:1 Ratio cgspartan mentioned, i've been doing a 1:1 ratio and it's to runny and although gives a smooth surface it makes puddle areas and such. anyhow, yeah i definately recommend the Mud idea to anyone on a tighter budget that can't afford glaze on top of the resin and bondo.

-Justin

I really never had a problem with body filler. I usually get a tablespoon and take two scoops of the body filler and add about 3 to 4 pea sized drops. This seems to work very well for me. Or you could just eye it and as soon as it starts turning a shade of pink you know your good. Not hot bright pink though, more like a salmon pink.

The proper ration for Mud is 1:1

Mix one batch of polyester resin w/ correct amount of hardener.
Mix an equal size batch of Bondo body filler w/ correct amount of hardener.

Mix the two batches together.

Are you working in a warm environment? If it's too warm, the reaction kicks sooner... that could be your problem.

Rocknrollcows said:
just a question.

but what exactly is "Mud"

It's the 1:1 mix of Fiberglass Resin and Bondo Body filler, stated above :D

~Epyon

(WOO! 50 posts! :D )

put it enough hardener where the mixed color matches your spatula... simple.

Jesus Adam, not all of us can afford these 'Color Coded' spatulas. We don't have the luxury of being independently wealthy like yourself. /sarcasm plz dont ban me

dacacheman said:
Jesus Adam, not all of us can afford these 'Color Coded' spatulas. We don't have the luxury of being independently wealthy like yourself. /sarcasm plz dont ban me

your screwed now :p jk

Sean Bradley said:
The proper ration for Mud is 1:1

Mix one batch of polyester resin w/ correct amount of hardener.
Mix an equal size batch of Bondo body filler w/ correct amount of hardener.

Mix the two batches together.

Are you working in a warm environment? If it's too warm, the reaction kicks sooner... that could be your problem.

I'd trust sean on this one, considering I think he contributed to coming up with it.

The technique was passed onto me by Link 4044 actually., I am in his debt for it... it's the best material for making my casts.... by a long shot.

Sean Bradley said:
The technique was passed onto me by Link 4044 actually., I am in his debt for it... it's the best material for making my casts.... by a long shot.

Reinforcing it with fiberglass would be smarter however, you would get all the details out from the mud but actually using fiberglass for that extra strength would help out alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back