My Build for the Winter-Recruit Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
First big update for these two projects. I have been working to get the obj files for the recruit armor to be printable. However, as I have never done 3d modeling and am a noob at 3d printing, it's progressing very slowly. I did decide to go full on screen accurate with my files as well, so I am having to add details to them, which is slowing the process down to a CRAWL. However, I have made more progress with my printing.

I have completely printed the Halo 3: ODST helmet.

However, I have not been able to actually try it on yet now that it's fully glued together.

I really like the detail of the neck seal, and I want to figure out how to keep it, but it means that right now I can't get it on my head.

In other news, though, I successfully printed the reason I decided to go with an ODST...

I love the way that turned out. My glue job was less than perfect, so there are so offset seams, but overall I'm excited about it.

On the printer front, and one of the main reasons I've only gotten this much printed, is I have run into some difficulties with my printer. It will drift out of level by about the 5th build, and does not have an auto-level, so I have to spend a couple hours every other day releveling it. It also meant that I had a few failed prints on the helmet, hence the shift to black for the last 1/3. I am planning on adding a bed leveler to it to speed up the process. That being said, I have no complaints about the printer. The quality of the prints has been outstanding, even as small scale, as least as far as I've been able to tell. Judge for yourself, though.

Any ideas on why the printer is losing it's level plane?

On the Tevo Tornado and several other printers the bed leveling is controlled by four adjustment screws that grip onto the glass bed. Unfortunately metal and glass doesn't have an outstanding amount of friction and screws slip over time. Just add in a rubber washer and bed adjustment becomes far less frequent.

From what I can tell, it's pretty much that same reason. This doesn't grab the glass, though, it shifts the corner of a metal bed that the glass clamps onto. Add in the flexing and contracting from heating/cooling the bed, and you get changes. I've read that adding a washer or something helps, and I'm thinking about doing that. Additionally, it is recommended to upgrade the springs and and swap out the plastic adjustment knobs for something more durable. I plan on doing all of that. It occurred to me, though, that since I was going to be breaking my print bed down, I might as well add bed leveling to it too. Just get it all done at once.

Sorry not to add salt to the wound. But visor is gonna pretty darn close to your face. Then it’s going to cause it to fog like crazy:( But, even with your printer woes, those are some pretty nice prints

So I will be changing to a 3d printed suit now. I just need to learn how to convert the obj files in the armory into printable files.
Wait, I have access to a 3D printer. Are you saying I could've saved a ton of time on my foam build? o_O

I'll be watching how well this goes :)

Sorry not to add salt to the wound. But visor is gonna pretty darn close to your face. Then it’s going to cause it to fog like crazy
I had thought of that, but reprinting the helmet isn't a priority right now. I will at some point, but for right now I'm continuing with other pieces. My plan for that helmet is to work. I'm not happy with the alignment of the pieces anyway. But it is recognizable, and it's taught me about 3d printing, and given me a better idea of sizing for my next helmet.

Wait, I have access to a 3D printer. Are you saying I could've saved a ton of time on my foam build? o_O

I'll be watching how well this goes :)
Lol, that depends on how good you are cutting/carving foam. I'm not, so it's saving me time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back