My first 3D armor

Kaiser

Jr Member
Hello everyone

I hope this isn't out of place to post

I will be building my first Halo armor with my new 3D printer, I will be posting (hopefully regularly) updates on my progress with pictures.
I decided to do a Marine armor as my first build since I'm a new member and slowly work my way up to ODST then potentially a Spartan 4, gotta earn the privilege to be called a Spartan i am right?

I had begun building a ODST armor out of EVA foam (youtube inspired by DFT), got about 30% done and just stop due to me being lazy. this time i hope to get to 100%.

any comments on the progress, helpful tips and other are more than welcomed

Cheers
396602624_217780477990504_5304654772512511187_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've had issues with that printer, i wish you luck, hopefully you can figure it out because i couldn't solve the shifting issues. and to those reading the post, it wasn't like a mm or 2 it was like several inches.

I've had issues with that printer, i wish you luck, hopefully you can figure it out because i couldn't solve the shifting issues. and to those reading the post, it wasn't like a mm or 2 it was like several inches.
only issue ive had so far is leveling after each print

great start! I’ll be hopefully starting my prints soon too once I get the renovation of my office done so I can put my enclosure back together

I'm super excited to see how your armor turns out, and the weapons look great too! I made a lot of mistakes with my first printed suit. Every time I put it on, the thigh pieces crack somewhere. Something I learned is to have at least 3 layers for wall thickness. Infill density isn't as important, but increasing it will help make the armor more durable.
3 shells
.2 layer height
infill 15-20%
tech.badbatch on instagram shared these specs with me, and he hasn't had issues with his clone armor cracking. Hope this helps!

I'm super excited to see how your armor turns out, and the weapons look great too! I made a lot of mistakes with my first printed suit. Every time I put it on, the thigh pieces crack somewhere. Something I learned is to have at least 3 layers for wall thickness. Infill density isn't as important, but increasing it will help make the armor more durable.
3 shells
.2 layer height
infill 15-20%
tech.badbatch on instagram shared these specs with me, and he hasn't had issues with his clone armor cracking. Hope this helps!
So far the H3 Marine helmet is turning out good, still 80+ hours of printing to go, im doing.2mm thickness i think 3 or 4 layers with 20% infill

Wow! Its really cool to see people start printing stuff and seeing all of the cool things printing can do. Good luck on your marine!

I've always had better luck with tree supports. Different strokes for different folks though. It's just a shame learning anything with 3d printing usually means burning money in the form of filament. You'll get it worked out though, just stick with it.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but look into armorsmith. It'll help with armor scaling issues in the future. Just be aware, sometimes, just sometimes, those head measurements lie and you'll wanna scale up just a little bit to be safe. I ran a helmet through armorsmith once, and it still came out child-sized.

Helmet is definitely to small for my head, and I've runed into a support structure issue, should have used the normal supports and not the tree structures.

lessons learned on this round
View attachment 339806View attachment 339807
Just remember that traditional supports use quite a bit more filament and take much longer to print. Trees sometimes get a bit crazy but towards the end they will typically right themselves.

Either way your prints so far look great and I can't wait to see what you make next!

as you all can see, first one is a bust. Barely fits and painful to wear.
up-scaled the helmet and widened it on top of that, added an extra wall layer for rigidity

lessons learned on this print:
upscale the print
slow down the printing speed from 60mm/s to 40mm/s
enable jerk control

411120928_1129637218411099_6658941640383607873_n.jpg
409576215_257594603818408_8491342590654183520_n.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back