My First Build: Halo 4 Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my progress buddy. I figured i had to comment in return.

Your pep work looks pretty good for a start, i'm looking forward to see that torso finished :) keep it up. If you need any help, please feel free to ask and i'd do my best to answer and help you out.

UPDATE: Torso Pep Complete

UPDATE: FINISHING PEPPING THE TORSO

I finally finished the torso pep for Master Chief last night. So far, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

8219747683_119f794f6c.jpg

Here's the front of the torso before I connected the bottom edges.

8219747955_f04ac1f0b4_z.jpg

And the back.

8219749279_ca201e7b08_z.jpg

After final gluing.

8220829634_bf0cd8a3cc_z.jpg

And the back.

It's nice to have the largest part out of the way, but I have a feeling the helmet will be a little more complicated. Lots of tiny parts.

I might do a forearm next, though, so I can practice with resin and bondo before doing it on something as complicated as the torso. I've been watching lots of videos and reading lots of posts, so I think I'm ready to give it a shot. I guess the only way to learn is by doing it, right?

LESSONS LEARNED:
1. Start small. By this, I mean that when you're gluing two pieces together, don't start by gluing the longest tab on the piece. I find it's easier to hot glue the longer tabs after a smaller tab next to it has already been glued. It's easier to keep things aligned properly that way.

2. Practice before gluing. This one may seem weird, but it REALLY helps. Hot glue dries REALLY fast. Once you apply it, you only have a couple seconds to get your pieces aligned properly before the glue sets. So what I do for especially tricky pieces is I practice putting the pieces together before I actually apply the glue. I'll find a way to hold the pieces close together, then I'll mime grabbing the glue gun, applying the glue, putting the glue gun down, and fitting the pieces together. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but it has saved me many times and helped me keep everything aligned accurately.

3. It's worth the time it takes to fix problems. If you glue a piece together and the glue dries with the pieces out of alignment, it's worth the effort to VERY GENTLY peel the two pieces apart, cut away the dried glue with a razor/xacto and reglue. If one piece gets out of alignment, it WILL affect the pieces next to it, so even though it's a pain, it's worth the effort to redo it.

4. If at first it doesn't seem to fit, try, try again. While pepping, I came across a piece that didn't seem to fit. I got so frustrated that I was tempted to throw away all my work and start from scratch. But I double-checked all the work I had already done, and everything seemed to be in alignment, so I decided not to give up quite yet. And it's a good thing I did, because after some finagling, I discovered that it DID fit. It just needed to be folded at a sharper angle than I had assumed. I'm so relieved I didn't give up on it!

5. Keep your computer next to you. I had Pepakura Designer open in front of me the entire time, and it saved me tons of time. Sometimes, if I couldn't tell which way a fold was supposed to go, the lines in Pepakura Designer were usually clearer than the ones on the cardstock.

6. Turn off the flaps. On some of the smaller, trickier pieces where flaps were overlapping, it was sometimes difficult to tell where I was supposed to cut. When this happens, I go to the 2D menu in Pepakura and click on the option to turn off the flaps. This gives you a better idea of what the surfaces of the pieces are supposed to look like. Analyzing the pieces on your computer this way really helps you figure out where the best places to cut are.

7. Label your pieces. I like to cut out all my pieces before I start gluing. If you do this, make sure to write the page number somewhere on every single piece you cut out. This makes it MUCH easier to find the pieces you need when you're looking at Pepakura to figure out where the next piece goes.

One concern I have is that the torso is a snug fit. Everything connected when I put it over my head before gluing the bottom pieces together, but it was snug. However, I WAS wearing a loose-fitting t-shirt when trying it on, so hopefully it won't be an issue. If it is, I might need to figure out a way to add an inch or two on the pieces that connect under and over the arms.

What lessons have YOU learned while pepping out your pieces??

Last edited by a moderator:
One major lesson I learned while pepping my first piece (and this is nothing new to those who work with hot glue often):

Be prepared to burn your fingertips on a fairly regular basis. Trying to pinch tiny folds of paper together while manipulating a hot glue gun while trying to only squeeze out a tiny amount while trying to keep your pieces aligned is challenging enough. Add to that the nature of hot glue squeezing out where you don't expect it leads to burned fingertips. My best advice? Just grit your teeth and keep those pieces together. It won't be long before you have no sensation left in your fingertips.

Good job on the pepping. You might wanna make it a little more larger if you're going to make an under armor for this build...just sayin'

One major lesson I learned while pepping my first piece (and this is nothing new to those who work with hot glue often):

Be prepared to burn your fingertips on a fairly regular basis. Trying to pinch tiny folds of paper together while manipulating a hot glue gun while trying to only squeeze out a tiny amount while trying to keep your pieces aligned is challenging enough. Add to that the nature of hot glue squeezing out where you don't expect it leads to burned fingertips. My best advice? Just grit your teeth and keep those pieces together. It won't be long before you have no sensation left in your fingertips.
I actually didn't have too much of a problem with this. It got a little warm, sure, but never to the point where I was in pain.

Good job on the pepping. You might wanna make it a little more larger if you're going to make an under armor for this build...just sayin'
Sigh... I know. I was really disappointed when I first put it on. But I've got a couple ideas for enlarging it.

For goodness' sake, if you're burning your fingers, why continue using hot glue when white glue works just as well, if not better?

@craigsoup: Great job so far. At first glance I was worried that the torso was a bit small, but I think it will start looking better once the rest is added. Any plans for the undersuit yet?

@craigsoup: Great job so far. At first glance I was worried that the torso was a bit small, but I think it will start looking better once the rest is added. Any plans for the undersuit yet?

Haven't figured out the undersuit part yet. I haven't really seen anything I liked yet. Guess I need to figure that out pretty quickly.

Things have been busy lately. Got a couple freelance gigs going on in addition to the full time job, so I haven't had a lot of time. However, in January, I will be freeing up a lot of space in my garage, and I'll be putting together a work table. Once this is assembled, I'll be able to resin and fill the torso. Hopefully, I'll have another update sometime in mid-January.

I'm doing the same build myself, but as I'm getting to pieces like the arms and legs I'm realizing the pieces on the file database only account for either one arm/leg or the other, but it doesn't provide a distinct right arm/leg file and left arm/leg file. Is there a way to invert the whole design in pepakura or something?

I'm doing the same build myself, but as I'm getting to pieces like the arms and legs I'm realizing the pieces on the file database only account for either one arm/leg or the other, but it doesn't provide a distinct right arm/leg file and left arm/leg file. Is there a way to invert the whole design in pepakura or something?

In Pepakura Designer, click 2d Menu, click invert pattern, then rearrange pieces.
Oooooorrr. You can always invert your folds. This would put the numbers and lines on the inside. (You may want to mark your lines on the back by putting it over a light source.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back