My first build- ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks likes its coming along. I'm glad to see more ODST adding to the ranks. keep up the good work im looking forward to seeing this complete

OK, time for a new update. I haven't gotten much time to work on the helmet over the past couple weeks, due mostly to clinicals, but I did manage to squeeze some time in. Right now, the name of the game is Fill, Shape, Sand, Rinse, Repeat. It's taking a lot of time, but I know that the end product is worth the effort. The most frustrating thing is accidentally sanding through the body filler and hitting the paper layer. But I'm making progress on the helmet, slowly but surely. After I finished sanding, I primed it with tan spray paint. The paint revealed every little detail, and reminded me that I have a long way to go before it will be ready for casting...

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

With tan paint job-
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Black paint makes it look so much gooder...
IMG_0274.jpg

Tragedy also struck when my brother's dog knocked my helmet off the couch. Down the hall, I could hear the loud CRACK when the helmet impacted the wood floor...
IMG_0305.jpg

There was a full-thickness crack that traveled down the right side of the helmet and to the visor. I was really upset at first, but it doesn't seem that bad. Hopefully no more of these accidents will happen, and I can get a good cast of the helmet before the dogs do any more damage...

Also, I thought I'd throw a couple pictures out of what I have been doing between sanding and filling.
IMG_0020.jpg

Me, in the back of an ambulance...
IMG_0323.jpg

...and all scrubbed up for doing intubations in the OR.

I also took some time to head out to the range with my brother and a friend. Here's a bit of the action...
IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

My brother also caught me doing my fastest speed-reload ever.
th_SleightofHandPerk.jpg

Great build man! The range shots are sick too, and thats a fine looking AR you got there! anyway good to see another ODST getting ready to drop.

Nice clean build. Sucks to hear it cracked but I'm glad you'll be able to get a good mold poured still. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product of this, I really like the overall look of the ODST helm.

Howdy, everyone! I apologize about not posting sooner, but I've been a little busy lately. Between Emergency Pharmacology class, ambulance/hospital clinical shifts, church functions, army reserve drills, scraping a living off rocks and continued efforts to win the affections of a certain girl who goes to the same church as me, I've found myself completely tapped on time. Construction on my helmet has slowed to a crawl. I'm happy to report I've passed my EP class with an A, and I'm one week away from finishing clinicals. But I have a mission trip in Mexico coming up in a couple weeks, along with another in Missouri in August- it looks like I won't be doing work on my helmet for a little while. When classes start up again, I'm hoping to squeeze some build time out of the weekend. But we'll see- girls have a way of taking up all your time and energy (and money)...

So, first things first. Ever since the last post, I've been sanding and filling and sanding and filling. The progress is pretty subtle, but I'm getting closer all the time. I don't have any close up pics, but I do have a couple from when I was hanging out with a couple of my friends. We all started drinking, and they thought my helmet was just about the coolest thing since Frogger...

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Apologies for the blurriness of the pics- I was the guy under the helmet.

Later on, as I was researching Halo 3: ODST, I noticed that the character Dutch was voiced by none other than Adam Baldwin, the Animal Mother himself! If you're not familiar with the name, it's from Full Metal Jacket; stop reading this right now and correct yourself! Now intrigued with the character, I took a closer look at Dutch's helmet and noticed some differences from the standard issue. Most notably, a saggital crest that looked suspiciously like a mohawk! This was about the coolest thing in the world for me- I've been rocking the mohawk every chance I could get, from my last civilian hair cut before I shipped out to basic, to the three month break after my second deployment. In short... I dig it. So I got Dutch's ODST helmet from RUNDOWN (thanks!), scaled the right pieces, and glued it together in a hurry. What I got was about the most awesomest bit of helmet customization I could think of! But enough talk, it's picture time!

IMG_0415.jpg

The 'hawk ready for gluing...

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Alignment marks drawn in...

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

And we have liftoff!!

After gluing, I quickly covered the new piece in a layer of fiberglass resin to keep it from crumpling up.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

You may have noticed that I filled in the recessed details along the helmet. I was having so much trouble with getting them smoothed out that I decided to fill them, get the rough cast, then cut them back in for the finished product. Time will tell if I have decided wisely. I also used some of the excess resin to seal the inside of the crack, so hopefully there won't be any more issues with that.

IMG_0418.jpg

All in all, I'm exited about the helmet so far. It's missing some detail, but I bought a small wood chisel set to help sharpen the recessed corners of the helmet. A little more filling and sanding is to come, then I plan on making a rough cast of the helmet and finishing out the detail parts before making the final mold. I also got the polycarbonate sheet for the visor; right now it's on my shelf, just waiting for its turn. Hopefully it won't be waiting too long...

Well that's about it. Thanks again, everyone, for all your support, tips, advice and critiques. I welcome more of the same, and I hope to have more for y'all soon!

Excellent work my friend. Good to see someone putting some time and effort into their project and doing a little research. Phenomenal pep work, I wish I could pep that good. I always have to make up for being a crappy pepper in the bondo stage lol. Sorry about the crack but great recovery. I am guessing you were a medic or PA back in the day? I'm a 12B with the 10th Mountain, good to see a fellow service member even if you are back to civilian life....(jealous lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back