My First Mark Vi Armor W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking awesome! Don't you just love it when you lay all the pieces out and you look at it :D
you get your friend to make a marine! I love marines, I think they look pretty sweet when stood next to a Spartan
good luck with the rest of you build

nat

This is looking awesome! Don't you just love it when you lay all the pieces out and you look at it :D
you get your friend to make a marine! I love marines, I think they look pretty sweet when stood next to a Spartan
good luck with the rest of you build

nat

Thanks Nat! :D
Laying out all of the pieces and looking at it seems so surreal to me. I look at it and think to myself, "Did I really do all that?!"

I'm only 5'5.5", I'm a pretty short spartan. But I made up a reason to why a spartan is short. "When they did the augumentations, they left out the growth serum so they don't have to feed me as much. The UNSC are a bunch of cheapos."
My friend is just a little shorter than me so this will be a very comical day when you see two soldiers less than 5'6" tall.
She just got her tonsils removed yesterday so she'll be in bed for a while. :( I'll be going to her house tomorrow and help her get started. I already gave her a print out of the helmet because I have a pretty good idea of what to size it. As for everything else, I have no idea.
Saber Out

haha just wait untill its all hardened and ready to be worn! thats the best part :D
well im about 170cm tall, not sure in feet, and my friend is way taller than me so i looked like a short arse cheif next to him!
aw thats a shame hope she recovers well. so is she doing the marine? if so, post pics! id love to see how it turns out :D

oh and by the way

'The UNSC are a bunch of cheapos'

ahahahahahahahahah this made me laugh!! :D

nat

haha just wait untill its all hardened and ready to be worn! thats the best part :D
well im about 170cm tall, not sure in feet, and my friend is way taller than me so i looked like a short arse cheif next to him!
aw thats a shame hope she recovers well. so is she doing the marine? if so, post pics! id love to see how it turns out :D

oh and by the way

'The UNSC are a bunch of cheapos'

ahahahahahahahahah this made me laugh!! :D

nat

I found that quite funny myself. hahahahah Pretty clever if I do say so myself. :p
My friend WILL be doing the marine but she has no clue what seh is supposed to be doing. So she'll be coming to me a lot for questions. I also recommended that she joins the 405th community so she can get helpful tips from people who actually know what they are doing.

Oh. I know that you are finished with your MC armor for the most part. So can you tell me how you sized for the COD plate? My build is at a halt till I know how to size the COD plate. :/
My mom won't let me resin anything till I'm done pepping everything. ahahahah

I think I'm quite right on the UNSC being cheapos. A good example would be the Saprtan III Program where they made spartans on the cheap so the soldiers would be expendable.

yeah ive never heard it before so it was surprisingly funny :D
thats awesome, get her to start a wip, people love to help here. plus i wanna see how you guys do it ! (whilst sneakily picking up tips)

yeah im in the process of updating my suit, for the cod i measured from my left side to my right at the front, about where i wanted the cod to sit, then added about 3-4 cm to the width for more of a gap for the undersuit, try building the low def one as a tester. thats what i did :p
i didnt measure all the way around my waist though, just half.

ah yeah the spartan III program, i see what you mean.. making more on the cheap, i assuming youve read the novels.. i loved kurt in them :)

nat

yeah ive never heard it before so it was surprisingly funny :D
thats awesome, get her to start a wip, people love to help here. plus i wanna see how you guys do it ! (whilst sneakily picking up tips)

yeah im in the process of updating my suit, for the cod i measured from my left side to my right at the front, about where i wanted the cod to sit, then added about 3-4 cm to the width for more of a gap for the undersuit, try building the low def one as a tester. thats what i did :p
i didnt measure all the way around my waist though, just half.

ah yeah the spartan III program, i see what you mean.. making more on the cheap, i assuming youve read the novels.. i loved kurt in them :)
nat
Yes, I've read the novels. haha Kurt is Amazing!
"Don't you know?" he said to the Elite, "Spartans never die."
ahahahah That's my favorite quote from Ghosts of Onyx.
My problem is that I'm trying to lose some weight so I have no clue what to do for the COD plate... I'll keep your tip in mind though. Definately! :)
I couldn't go over to my friend's house today because she got a fever overnight. :( Her mom wouldn't let me over. It's understandable. Just frustrating.

Saber Out

Update: July 26,2010

Hello Everyone!
I am finally finished with the pepping stage of my build!!!!
I just finished pepping the COD tonight and I am very happr with what I have done.
Here's the Front
SDC10500.jpg

And Back.
SDC10512.jpg

As you can see, I did some wooden baton rigging to keep things from bending the wrong direction. The support struts that came with this piece were confusing because there were no numbers to put them together. Except for the ends that attached to the suit.
SDC10510.jpg

SDC10509.jpg

SDC10507.jpg

SDC10504.jpg

Now I'm on to the Resin stage!!!
I'm so excited!

I'm not going to worry about any weapons till I'm done with my suit.
If anything, I'll probably look around for people who are willing to sell some.

Thanks for reading my thread! :D
Comments and critique gratefully accepted. :)
Saber Out.

EDIT: Oh, as a side-note, i got my friend started on the pepping for her marine helmet. She hasn't started gluing anything becuase she still isn't feeling well after getting her tonsils removed. But next time I go over to her house, I'll help her get some more done and take some pics to post on here for you guys to see.

Thats a great looking codpiece. Whatever you do, dont let it get rained on! Its a pain to get it right again after that...I know from experience.

Thats a great looking codpiece. Whatever you do, dont let it get rained on! Its a pain to get it right again after that...I know from experience.

Yeah. I just saw that on your thread. Bummer deal.
In Oregon, it's almost raining all of the time though. And I don't have a garage... <_<
The next couple of days should be pretty warm so I think I could be able to resin a little this week before the cold set in again. (So much for summer)

Actually... I will be visiting my great grandma tomorrow. She's sick and is suffering from conjestive heart failure.

Quick Update! (Two WIP's in ONE THREAD!)

Hey everyone!
i have bought ten 1'' brushes for the resining for 85 cents a piece at Home Depot. I don't know whether it'll be enough, but I can always buy more if I need them.
Do i need to buy plastic containers so I don't ruin any dishes with the resin?
I got the respirator from my uncle. Turns out it was originally my dad's, but he never got around to returning it. ahahah. :p

I helped my friend work a little more on her Marine Helmet a couple days ago. She's now scoring the pieces and folding. it's a slow proccess for her, but she's working on it. I glued together the floating pieces that attach to the sides of the helmet.

Here is a picture of the big mess we made in two hours of cutting and scoring the pieces to her helmet.
3003f0a1.jpg

And here's a picture of the system my friend and I made up so she know which dotted lines are mountain and vally folds.
IMG_2284.jpg

And finally, here is the floating pieces that I glued together and some other pieces that i found that fit together.
IMG_2285.jpg

Who knew that my thread would feature two WIP's? ahahah.

Anyways, thanks for following my thread.
Please Comment and Critique.
Saber Out

Let the resining... BEGIN!!!!!

Hello everyone!
I've finally started resining my pieces after suffering from a case of procrastanitis. :p
I didn't get any hints as how to resin so I just went ahead and started with the little pieces.
First, I did the hand plates. After the first handplate, I accidentally started doing a coat on the inside right after soing the outside. I realized what I was doing when I took a quick look at the front of the hand plate after doing a small section on the inside. So now it looks kinda funny.
See?
SDC10521-1.jpg

After resining the hand plates, I had enough resin to resin the toe part of a boot. So I resined that too.
SDC10520-1.jpg

A few days later, so yesterday, I made sure that the resin wasn't tacky and applied a second layer to the hand plates and the toe. And I resined the back of both boots. My second toe is in my closet somewhere, I'll have to look for it later. I checked the pieces and the back of the boots are a little tacky i some places. (No pics of the back of the boots, sorry!) I also noticed that the back of the boots are kinda warped but I'll fix it with some bondo later.
SDC10530-1.jpg

Do I need to do a resin layer on the inside of the hand plates? They're pretty sturdy as it is.

The weather here in Oregon is very indecisive. It was supposed to be 72 F and mostly sunny but it ended up almost 80 F, no sun, very humid, and now it's starting to rain. UGH!
I will hopefully get some more resining done in the next few days but it all depends on the weather.
Thanks for folllowing my thread!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment and critique my thread! My thread seems awfully dead...
Saber Out

other than the hand-plate, your resining looks very solid!
And i know what you mean about the weather, i applied resin on a rainy, humid day and 2 peices are STILL tacky. It's been like 3 days!

and my thread is quite dead too :'(

RESINING SPREE! *announced in deep multiplayer voice*

Hello Everyone.
I have gone on a resining spree. Today was an awesome day to resin so I just went wild with it.
First, I resined the bottom of the boot toes twice ("DOUBLE RESIN!").
I started moving on to the big stuff (well... kinda) and I resined the shoulders and gauntlets ("RESINING SPREE!").
After that, I resined the COD plate, LD helmet, and part of a thigh. ("TRIPLE RESIN!")
A lot of the pieces, I think four, got two coats because they hardened quickly due to totally awesome weather. ("RUNNING RESIN!")
I was able to finish resining before the sun set and it cooled down A LOT. The warmest place in the house that doesn't expose all of us (my family and I) to the fumes would be the laundry room. I don't have a garage, so this is the best that can do for now.
Here is a picture of the shoulders, gauntlets, and a boot toe up to dry on the fridge in the laundry room.
SDC10536.jpg

And first down the "catwalk" (aka my mom's washer) is the boots, the Ab plate, and the LD helmet. The back of the boots are included, even though I didn't resin them, because they are still a little tacky and needed to dry out some more.
SDC10534.jpg

Second, is the COD plate followed by a boot toe, hiding in a hip socket.
SDC10533.jpg

SDC10537.jpg

And lastly, the half-resined thigh piece. I could only resin half because it was the resin left over from resining my helmet.
SDC10535.jpg

I kinda had an issue with the hardener while resining today too. I was in direct sunlight while resining so I had half the work time to apply just a tablespoon of resin to my pieces. On some occasions I had to scoop out resin goop and make a new batch.

I think I like resining a lot more than pepakura but I have a lot to learn about timing my resin and how many drops of hardener is appropriate to the temperature.

Thanks for following my thread!
Please comment and critique!
Saber out.

yeah you get used to thr resin. and wait till you start bondo. thats my favorite part. its where your pieces come together

My plan is to resin, fiberglass, then bondo. My dad has some experience with bondo, so I'll hopefully get some assistance from him. I'm pretty excited about getting along on my project because it's now my Senior Project.
I KNOW what happens if I get hasty. It's not very pretty. If you've seen my very first thread, which I'm very embarassed to say is one of the noobiest ever written, I pepped the boots without scaling because I only had the Viewer, not Designer. So the boot was the size of my head.

Almost Done

Hey guys!
Well... I'm almost done resining my suit. Every piece has two layers if resin on the outside and a few have a coat of resin on the inside. I've been letting them hang on a twine string for a couple of days because the weather has been so hot, it was a perfect resin-curing opportunity.
PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

Now that the weather has cooled to the 70's and there's no sun, I can't really resin without the pieces being tacky for a few days, or possibly even a week.

On a different note, I have built a PVC mannequin for my suit to sit on instead of being stowed in my closet. I got the idea of the PVC mannequin from AceNat and I thank her greatly!

Here's my PVC mannequin and my armory closet.
PICT0066.jpg

(He looks like he needs a hug, doesn't he?)

PICT0065.jpg

I had some difficulties with my PVC mannequin while it was outside because the wind liked to blow it over with my armor on it. I have a small crack in my LD helmet but that's an easy fix. To fix this wind problem, I placed cinder blocks on the 2by6 board.
PICT0064.jpg

I'm pondering whether to add an inside coat to all of my pieces eventhough I will be putting fiberglass in it soon. The pieces are pretty sturdy as it is with just two coats on the outside.
some guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for following my thread and please comment and critique!
Saber out.

Hey guys,
(SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST!!!!!)

I have decided that I am finished with the resining stage of my suit and now on to the fiberglass stage. All of my pieces have atleast two coats of resin on the outside so I think they're sturdy enough for fiberglass.

I am currently looking on the internet for the greatest deal on fiberglass mat. The reigning winner as of right now would be Jamestown Distributors at $2.45/yrd, which is waaaayyy better than going to Ace Hardware and getting a yrd pack for about $7.
Here is the link for Jamestown Distributors.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2067&familyName=Fiberglass+Mat

If anyone can find a better deal please comment on this thread. I'm sure a lot of people would thoroughly appreciate it.

And incase anyone has forgotten, I am completely new to this armor building thing so if any one can give me pointers on fiberglassing, that's be great.
I've been doing a lot of reading on the internet, but extra tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for following my thread.
PLEASE comment! (I don't wanna run blind into this next step)

Saber Out.

Better late than never...

Hey guys,
Well... I've started fiberglassing. I actually started about a week or two ago but it has been very slow going. I really need to pick up the pace if I'm to finish by Haloween.

So here is what I have done as of right now....
The chest piece
PICT0003.jpg

The handplates and toes and part of the back of a boot.
PICT0001.jpg

Here it is all together.
PICT0005.jpg

I added the ab plate into some of the pics because I'm thinking of gluing it on now since I have the chest glassed now...

Actually... The thing I said about the chest being glassed is a lie. I actually havent glassed this part of the chest piece because of how cramped it is.
PICT0004.jpg

I'm a little nervous about trying to cram fiberglass in that tiny space so I was thinking of applying expanding foam instead.
Any advice on this matter?

I'm a little confued as to why I haven't gotten any comments, but whatever. It's not really important.
(I'll just have some double, triple, quad posts)

Please comment and critique and I'll be back with more pics soon.

Saber Out

If you research rondo(mixture of resin and bondo) it is a simple way of hardening a piece like that. Its like using smoothcast except cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back