My first Pepakura, Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiel terall

Jr Member
I ended up printing it out 3 times, the first and second were to small, so now I have it scaled up to about 6'8! At least it fits now.

Anyways, I just put a layer of resin on and I hoep to do the fibre glassing tomorrow. :p
th_100_1294.jpg
th_100_1293.jpg
th_100_1292.jpg

tserrof said:
looks good.. u might want to put more than 1 layer of resin on

I might, but the pics were without the resin. The helmet seems to be holding up ok, just waiting for it to dry.

Would it be ok for me to cut out the visor before the fibre glass? Then I could test fit it and such, but would it make it weaker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ti-el_Terall said:
I might, but the pics were without the resin. The helmet seems to be holding up ok, just waiting for it to dry.

Would it be ok for me to cut out the visor before the fibre glass? Then I could test fit it and such, but would it make it weaker?

i would leave it in until you're done fiberglassing, just make sure you don't fiberglass over it. hey, did you use cardstock, or normal paper?

feigned-echo said:
i would leave it in until you're done fiberglassing, just make sure you don't fiberglass over it. hey, did you use cardstock, or normal paper?

Looks like normal paper..

Anywho, good job so far!

Its cardstock. Well, Iv trimmed down so that my head could fit in, but it is still a tight squeze on the sides. Does this mean once I fibre glass it I wont be able to fit my head in?

Once you fiberglass the paper will have much less give so you'll probabally have to trim some more out with a dremel once the resin is hardened. That's what I did.

Ti-el_Terall said:
I ended up printing it out 3 times, the first and second were to small, so now I have it scaled up to about 6'8! At least it fits now.

Anyways, I just put a layer of resin on and I hoep to do the fibre glassing tomorrow. :p
th_100_1294.jpg
th_100_1293.jpg
th_100_1292.jpg

Very nice man. I hope my first one comes out that good. Im new to this site anyone that could give me tips would be helpful. Thanks. :)

Ok, I finished resining my helm from Slyfos peps, and I fibreglassed most fo my smaller one.

Ill get pics up soon :)

Does anybody know if the dust from fibreglas that is made when cutting it with a dremel is bad for you?

EDIT
My good one (not fibreglassed yet)
th_100_1307.jpg
th_100_1306.jpg
th_100_1305.jpg
th_100_1304.jpg
th_100_1302-1.jpg
th_100_1302.jpg

Heres my smaller one, it barely fits over my head!
th_100_1301.jpg
th_100_1300.jpg
th_100_1297.jpg

Ti-el_Terall said:
Ok, I finished resining my helm from Slyfos peps, and I fibreglassed most fo my smaller one.

Does anybody know if the dust from fibreglas that is made when cutting it with a dremel is bad for you?

EDIT
th_100_1307.jpg
th_100_1306.jpg
th_100_1305.jpg
th_100_1304.jpg
th_100_1302-1.jpg
th_100_1302.jpg

th_100_1301.jpg
th_100_1300.jpg
th_100_1297.jpg

yes :unsure:

Anytime you guy's are gonna use polyester resin just remember this little blurb from an MSDS

Route of Entry: Skin YES
Route of Entry: Ingestion YES
Route of Entry: Inhalation YES
Health Hazards - Acute and Chronic MAY CAUSE EYE AND SKIN IRRITATION. VAPORS MAY CAUSE MUCOUS MEMBRANE IRRITATION AND UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT DISCOMFORT. REPEATED EXPOSURE TO HIGH CONCENTRATIONS OF HIGH CONCENTRATIONS OF VAPOR MAY CUSE LIVER AND KIDNEY DAMAGE
Carcinogenity: NTP NR
Carcinogenity: IARC NR
Carcinogenity: OSHA NR
Explanation of Carcinogenity NONE
Symptoms of Overexposure [EYE] MAY CAUSE IRRITATION. LIQUID SPLASHES MAY RESULT IN MORE SERIOUS INJURIES. MAY CAUSE TEARING. [SKIN] PROLONGED - MAY CAUSE DEFATTING AND DRYNESS OF THE SKIN WITH RESULTANT IRRITAITON AND POSSIBLE DERMATITIS. STYRENE MAY ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN IN TOXIC AMTS. [INGEST] MAY CAUSE GASTROINTESTINAL DISTURBANCES, PAIN AND DISCOMFORT. [INHAL] VAPORS MAY CAUSE MUCOUS MEMBRANE IRRITATION AND UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT DISCOMFORT. HEADACHE, NAUSEA, INSENSIBILITY AND OTHER CNS EFFECTS
Medical Cond. Aggrevated by Exposure NR
Emergency/First Aid Procedures [EYE] FLUSH WITH PLENTY OF WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MIN. SEEK IMMEDIATE MED AID. [SKIN] WASH WITH SOAP AND WATER. [INHAL] REMOVE VICTIM FROM EXPOSURE. IF UNCONSCIOUS, ADMINISTER ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION AND OR OXYGEN AS NEEDED. SEEK MED AID. [INGEST] DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING (ASPIRATION HAZARD). SEEK IMMEDIATE MED AID

Johnny............

So, I put on a layer of auto body filler on my "Pratice helm" and it came out good. Im going to start on my better helmet after it dries, then do a coat of primer to find where I need to fill.

Ill get pics up in a few

Ok, So I still need to sand them down alot, but Im picking up my orbital sander this week.

Smaller helm
100_1338.jpg

100_1339.jpg

Here you can see where I used the hot glue method but as a patch up
100_1340.jpg

And heres my better helm

100_1342.jpg

100_1343.jpg

100_1344.jpg

100_1345.jpg

Ti-el_Terall said:
Ok, So I still need to sand them down alot, but Im picking up my orbital sander this week.

Smaller helm
100_1338.jpg

100_1339.jpg

Here you can see where I used the hot glue method but as a patch up
100_1340.jpg

And heres my better helm

100_1342.jpg

100_1343.jpg

100_1344.jpg

100_1345.jpg

i need mine to work!!!!!! its not working i cant get the pieces to line up the right way and i dont know why im not sure if im soppussed to fold every line and i dont have proper glue and it isnt looking the way yours is its looking terrible and sloppy
:tutu:

Very nice on a first attempt, I see you said "hot glue method" good to see people do trust it, the last person who used the hotglue method came out with a nice helmet, with some practice with pep, you can do better, some sanding and a little more bondo will fix all your problems.

EDIT
View attachment 34954
View attachment 34955
View attachment 34956
View attachment 34957
View attachment 34958
View attachment 34959

View attachment 34960
View attachment 34961
View attachment 34962
When you put the first layer of fiberglass resin, did you put supports inside your helmet to prevent warping

When you put the first layer of fiberglass resin, did you put supports inside your helmet to prevent warping
Hello, NobleODST, the thread you are replying to is 11, eleven, years old. It is always best to check the date of the last post in a thread in a thread before replying to it. For example, since this thread has not been responded to in 11 years, I do not think Tier Terall is going to ansqwer you. In fact, they have not logged into their account since 2009.

I will however give you the answer, in return I ask that you make sure to be more careful about what threads you respond to in the future.

Yes, it is always best to reinforce and implement an additional support structure when adding your first layer of resin, and even when adding your fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back