My First (Posted) Build of a Mark VI Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Look Over There

Hi guys, my name is `Look, Over There...`, (Why on earth did I call myself that again?) and this is my first posted thread on a build that I will begin soon, the brilliant Mark VI helmet, hailing from Halo's 2 and 3 with only slight differences, apart from Halo 3's obvious battle damage.

I went and got myself some cardstock and I think, considering I live in Ireland, the materials for hardening will need to be epoxy resin, fibreglass mat and bondo, or any other filler.

Tools, hmm, I will need a dremel or similar tool to carve details after filler is sanded, thus, I also need some sandpaper and possibly a new set of paintbrushes.

I have previously made helmets, but mainly just assemble the pieces of cardstock together and then give them to whoever ordered them, as they were to sort out from there the further stages of development, i.e. resining, fibreglassing, applying filler, etc, but this is my first own build and first beyond the pepakura assembly stage, so I would like to hear from any members in Ireland as to where they get their fibreglass and epoxy resin, as that is a problem for me currently, I live in Co. Leitrim, if that helps. Also, what would be the recommended cardstock weight, as mine is 220 gsm, is this 'heavy' enough? And finally, how much fibreglass and resin is needed for a helmet?
I have some photos of my previous works which i will include at some point, provided that I can find them, that is.

I'm Look, Over There.. (Hmm, I almost cringe when I say it, even in writing it. However, i shall continue...) and I hope gain some good advice here, so please, provide me with knowledge. Thanks in advance, updates to come when advancements are made

(really just about the cardstock) That's definitely heavy enough. I've always heard (and use) 110 weight cardstock. You'll probably have to work a little bit harder on the folds than I, but your finished pep will also probably be much sturdier. But that only matters until resin and bondo, etc.

Really? Well, that's a good start, as I was actually given this ream of cardstock, so it's one less item I need to buy. Okay, the first thing that I am going to do is print some tester pieces of the helmet to check that it will be the right size and for me to still have time to decide on who's Mark VI helmet model to use. More updates to come, and eventually some pictures of my progress, but, for now, here are some of my previous works:
15112011195.jpg

04112011163.jpg

02112011127.jpg

01112011123.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back