My First Suit Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaT954

Hello everyone, just wanted to post a picture of my suit that I built from some Pep files that I downloaded from here. I believe it's the Forward Unto Dawn version but not the helmet, not sure what version helmet
I downloaded. I used really heavy poster board, cut all of the pieces out and hot glued them together. Then coated each piece in fiberglass resin, then added the fiberglass cloth along with more resin and finally smoothed everything out with Bondo. Painted everything with Rustoleum Camo paint.
IMG_1586.jpg

Looks awesome! How was working with the fiberglass? In my situation I can currently only work with EVA. Have you worked with the foam yet? If so, which do you think is better with comparisons such as how long it takes, the quality and/or durability, and the ease of use (once you properly learn how)?

Looks awesome! How was working with the fiberglass? In my situation I can currently only work with EVA. Have you worked with the foam yet? If so, which do you think is better with comparisons such as how long it takes, the quality and/or durability, and the ease of use (once you properly learn how)?

Thanks man!! I've only worked with fiberglass and don't have any experience working with foam. I know with the fiberglass pieces, they are very rigid, no flexibility at all, unless you only do one layer of the glass material and one or two layers of resin. Overall, I thought working with fiberglass was pretty easy, but I've used it before along with Bondo body filler on multiple car projects. Still, there's absolutely no reason to be intimidated by using fiberglass, it's surprisingly easy to use. If I do another suit, I think I'm going to opt for the standard fiber glass material vs. the "cloth-weave" material. For the cloth material to work, it has to get really saturated with the resin and then it likes to form air-bubbles underneath it. Also, with Bondo, the key to that is putting on smoothly with a nice, clean spreader. I've seen some pictures on here where it looked like the person used a butter knife to put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back