My Mark Vi Armor Second Go Around New Pics Added 7/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreads

Hi all,

Well after Chicago being cold for 3 months i was able to start to reinforce my Pep armor today. So i once mentioned using fleece material instead of fiber glass to reinforce my armor and today i did it. Here are some pics of How i did it and i will Include the steps also i will be doing this for all of the armor and i am going to do multiple layers on the but piece to make sure i will not break when i sit.

1. Assemble your pep
2 resin the inside and outside of your armor.
3. Trace the a pattern on the fleece of the piece you are going to cover
Newarmor016.jpg

or cut out piece to piece the fleece together on a more complicated piece
Newarmor030.jpg

4. Using glue you choice here i am trying a new spry on glue first to attach and stretch the fleece on to yr piece of armor
Newarmor011.jpg

Newarmor024.jpg

5. you will pull it over the edge then trim it
Newarmor026.jpg

Newarmor032.jpg

6. then mix up your resin and resin the fleece soaking it like you would fiber glass
Newarmor033.jpg

Newarmor035.jpg

7. The let sit and harden in the sun or over night like i am. Them in a few hours you have yr Reinforce armor
that pic i wil post tomorrow after i see how it looks in the morning

You could also do this process with cheese cloth, (or almost the same)
Resin outside
pull cheese cloth tight around and wrap it
resin agein
wait
cut exess
sand
bondo
paint
wear

Also i got this idea form the tv show, "Trick my truck" and "Pimp my ride" It is by no means an original idea by me

yeah this is pretty much how you do fiberglass enclosures for your stereo system my question is, is it better than fiberglass cloth/matt?

okay here are pictures after 7 hours of drying time

Newarmor036.jpg

Newarmor037.jpg

Newarmor038.jpg

By the way It is as sold as my fiberglass pieces i have

Also i used this for a couple of reason 1. Fiberglass matte or screen is about 5 dollars for a square yard (36 x 36) , while fleece is 3.00 a yard at walmart for 36 x 60 3 yards of it at walmart is more than enough and cheaper than 2 yards of the matte. 2. U can use a color if u want. I just used what was on sale. 3. Comfort no stray fiber glass piece to trim or poke you. 4. I just wanted to try something new.

I will be working on the arm pieces tonight and will post more pics as i work along so you all can see the progress and at the end i will tell you out of the 3 yards of fleece i bough how much i used, i actually think i bough to much and could have just bought 3 yards. We will see at the end.

Muslin cloth works 99% the same as fiberglass and can be bought for 3-4 dollars a yard at any fabric store.

Fleece? Really? and all this time i have been wearing it instead of dumping gallons of toxic resin on top of it! duuuh..stupid me.....
lolzmaster i kid though. Great find. Definitley better for the cheapos out there, but i cant help but think Fiberglass Shreds are much stronger.
i dont want a fleece-backed car body...

Fiberglass is stronger, yes, but definitely not cheaper.
Fleece is great because its alot easier to deform than fiberglass. you can stretch it over an object and it'll conform to the shape of what you stretch it over, hence why it's so popular for enclosures and interior work.
No, it's not gonna be a good thing to use for a car panel, but typically a fiberglass body, at least one that's well made, is up to a 1/4 inch thick. it needs to be strong enough to support not only itself, but all the extras that get put on ( widows, glass, interior, paint, etc. I do mean EVERYTHING). However, Since the only people here with 1/4 inch thick helmets are the ones who ride the short bus, you should be fine. If you're really concerned about strength, double it up.
In fact, pretty much any type of cloth can be used for 'glass. carbon fiber and fiberglass are nothing more than woven mats of a strong material. The weaving used to make them is done on similar, if not the same, machines. It's a question of strength, really. given you're unlikely to jump off a bulding wearing this, or try using it as a crash helmet, I don't see why there'd be any problem with using fleece, or any other material, for that matter.

well we had a problem last nigth after work. the glue i used to hold the fleece to the pep came loose and the fleece came off in some places like like a mold. so i am going to ty a new glue tonight and more resin and it should hold better i will keep you all posted

Dreads said:
well we had a problem last nigth after work. the glue i used to hold the fleece to the pep came loose and the fleece came off in some places like like a mold. so i am going to ty a new glue tonight and more resin and it should hold better i will keep you all posted

Oy, I hope you get this to work... I have some ideas in mind where this would come in handy.. Good luck, let us know whats going on. What glue didn't work, just for reference sake.

Cheers,
Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreads said:

don't use glue in the future to hold down your glass/fleece/whatever. Mix up a tiny amount of resin, brush it on where you're going to be fiberglassing, let it sit for a couple minutes, till it gets to that tacky stage between starting and it being completely set, then lay down your cloth on that. It will hold it to the surface without causing any problems to the rest of your glassing process :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a few have already stated beforehand, yes, this is how custom speaker enclosures are made for car stereo's. I don't really see any real benefit of using it on armor though, as you don't need to "make lines" which is why it's used in cars.

Basically, you build the bottom of your speaker box, build poles up and mount your speaker ring to them. Then you stretch the fleece to the box corners and staple it in place and begin resin'ing it. It creates a smooth look...which is basically useless when it comes to armor/helmet building...but it still works just the same as mat/cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back