My Mark Vi Armor Second Go Around New Pics Added 7/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use pretty much any weaved fabric, tweed works but its pretty rough, spandex is another example but more suitable for stretching over complex shapes, if you want to use something other than itchy scratchy fiberglass cloth/mat, just get fiberglass tape which is used in drywall seams. Its almost like door screen, and its sticky on one side. You can pile up on the layers before you even put any resin down and it will be just as strong.
Just remember that the cloth in fiberglassing is like the steel rebar frame inside concrete castings like bridges, highways.. Without it, concrete just falls apart with vibrations

hey all sorry for the long delay on my reply on this thread here is an update and some progress to my armor. here si the chest piece wit the cloth attached i will resin it today if it does not rain or if it does rain i will just fleece more pieces but any way here are some pics
armor001.jpg

armor003.jpg

armor002.jpg

armor006.jpg

armor016.jpg

oh and here is a pic of the rest of the pieces i have todo
armor004.jpg

wow that looks pretty good :lol:

infact, i might use this for my armor
one question though...how would the fleece stand up to bondoing and sanding?

it sands just like a regular fiberglassed piece. basically, dont sand it too far( till the fleece starts to fuzz on you), and you should be fine.

So how is the durability on it? I know some are saying its as good as fiberglass and others say no. What is your experience with it.

The thing that adds strength to the fiberglass is the strands. And while fleece is certainly stronger than a resin only piece, its not the rope that fiberglass is. Typically, its only used for mold making or for interior work, where it won't see the abuse that regular glass will. So, in terms of armor, if you're planning on drop kicking your helmet across the room, or sitting on it, go with glass. A couple layers of fleece will stand up to minor abuse, but nowhere near what glass does. It's really a question of preference.

Well another update all the pieces are clothed and i started to Resin the Cloth so here are some pictures also i almost for go the "Ammo packs" for the hips and i finally figured out how to do my boots this time so they are pictured here too. Also 2 grenades i made for fun, and well you never know when you will need a grenade.

P.s. The reason this update took so long id the Fiance has been making me go to halls and Catering places for the up coming wedding so sorry for that.

24armor014.jpg

24armor013.jpg

24armor006.jpg

24armor008.jpg

24armor009.jpg

24armor010.jpg

24armor011.jpg

here is another update, After being broke for awhile, dame wedding plans and family birthdays all in the same month. I got resin with my last pay check and last night used up all of it on the thigh pieces , shins, chest and back pack, all the is left for tonight is the Helmet and shoes, so here are some pics guys

armor3003.jpg

armor3004.jpg

armor3001.jpg

armor3002.jpg

P.S. I will have the pistol and the 6 foot long sniper rifle as my weapons at dragon con. hehehe

well all here is my helmet all resin and glassed up all that is left is the boots, but i ran out of resin, 3 bottles of it so far. I will get one more for the shoes tomorrow and finish them , and make sure everything else is resin real good, oh yeah pictures
Armor3005.jpg

Armor3006.jpg

o 2 days to let everything set then i start sanding bondoing and painting, I still need to pick a color, maybe gray and black

Hey, that seems like a really good idea. I must admit I have been trying to think of a better way than glass matting. I am getting pretty fed up of stabbing myself with tiny bits that stick up all over the place!!
I like the idea of the cheesecloth too, that would be quite easy to work into the nooks and crannies I guess....
On a slightly different tack, if I were to mix up some rondo and roll it all around the inside of my helmet and then fibreglass the inside of that after it had dried, would that give me a more sculpted look that with standard pep?

well big update today
i started to bondo and work on armor at 1130am and finished due to heat being tired at 530 pm
here are pics of the piece bondo, then sanded and 2 even primer. i need to get some more sand paper for my hand sander to finish sanding the chest back and other armor piece. oh the helmet bondo is for tomorrow.
halo013.jpg

halo014.jpg

halo016.jpg

halo017.jpg

halo018.jpg

halo019.jpg

halo021.jpg

oh and the boots are done.
halo020.jpg

okay an armor update more pics ad some disappointment. i was goign to go for a battle worn look and it turns out it looks really battle worn
halo029.jpg

halo030.jpg

halo031.jpg

halo032.jpg

halo034.jpg

halo035.jpg

and helmet primed
halo033.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back