My Mod Podge Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonic Crim

Hey all,

Well, just finished cutting out the sheets for my second attemt at the Master Cheif's helmet. The glue I used last time expanded and really mucked things up. This time, I found a way to use a high temperature hot glue gun effectivley giving me lots of time to put the peice on.

After I finish assembling the Pepakura, I'm going to coat it with some left over Paper Mod Podge. I've used this stuff before, and it can really layer quite nicely. I'll see if this can work out at least half as good as Bondo and Fiberglass. Once, or if, this all dries up, I'm going to paint the whole thing with a sandy-brown textured spraypaint.

Any thoughts? I'll update this (Don't worry Adam, I'll use the Edit button ;-) )as I make more progress with my first creation, second time around.

~Crim

Update: This layering may take a while :eek.

Update #2: Ok... so I have the Mod Podge on my helmet. It's doing a great job as a sealent, pored water on it by mistake, just not as sturdy as I was aiming for. Since it's all waterproof now, it may help open up a few new possibilities. One of my ideas is this type of plaster I have lying around. I'm going to make a Card Stock cube, Mod Podge it, and then put some plaster on it. I'll see how it looks after. I can even post pics if your interested.

Update #3: One last chance for Fibreglass... NAPA.

sounds nice. i am about to start scaling and then printing my helmet. I hope yours turns out good.

Please let us know how the Modge Podge works out. I had a jar of it in my hand the other day at the craft store and put it back and got something else instead. I've been wondering ever since if I should have gone with it after all.

i just finished cutting my helmet. should i fiberglass and resin it, or use paper mod podge, or paper mache it?

the only problem i see using paper modge podge is that it isn't going to dry to a super ridged strong surface. it is mostly used in crafts to put down cut out images onto a surface and have them sealed as one. it is essentialy like a layer of glue but a bit more water resistant, and that brings up my other concern, i don't know how well it will stand up to getting wet.

The modge podge could be a great way to seal the paper and make it a little easier to put fiber glass on top of, but i wouldn't count on it bein the sole substance to make my helmet strong.

one cool thing you could do with the modge podge though is if you wanted to pront out textures and colors and modge podge them on instead of painting it.

personally i would do a couple layers of modge podge, then brush on a layer or two of fiber glass resin. and just smooth all the rougher areas with bondo, then primer it good and paint.

Hehe, I cant seem to get my hands on fiberglass, thats why I've been thinking of alternate ways of making my helmet. I don't mind, personally, I love trying out new art things. I tried the Mod Podge, great sealent, but, just as you said, not as sturdy as I was hoping for. I'll continue to update my main post (making sure I don't spam like I did in my first topic :$ops: ) with my progress and hopefully pics. Never know, I have a whole slew of things laying around my house. There's this weird type of plaster that I kay try on a paper cube I'll make.

some how i dont picture plaster working on top of paper at all...

since plater is a water based chemical reaction, i would think that in its initial wet stage it would just ruin the paper creation as it was applied. plus it becomes brittle and fragile in thin layers. if you could some how seal the inside of the helmet and pour plaster into the paper helmet you could make vacume for molds from the solid plaster cast. you would have to ensure that the paper helmet didn't flext or anything though, so you would have to like brush on layer of rigid plastic search the forums i saw some stuff that would be great made by smooth on.

Eternal said:
some how i dont picture plaster working on top of paper at all...

since plater is a water based chemical reaction, i would think that in its initial wet stage it would just ruin the paper creation as it was applied. plus it becomes brittle and fragile in thin layers. if you could some how seal the inside of the helmet and pour plaster into the paper helmet you could make vacume for molds from the solid plaster cast. you would have to ensure that the paper helmet didn't flext or anything though, so you would have to like brush on layer of rigid plastic search the forums i saw some stuff that would be great made by smooth on.

I tried it, and as long as you use alot, ALOT, of hot glue as a ribbing to the plaster, it is decent. I wouldn't recommend it though. it is very heavy, and can cause deformation in the armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back