my mum wont let me use resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you use gloves, wear a respirator, there really isn't any danger. It's not like it is going to be wet for days. It cures in about 20 minutes at the most. If you are exposed to it for a few hours strait without a break you might start to get light headed, and even if it does get on your skin it isn't an emergency. It is a pain to get off of your skin, but it won't do any long term damage (you will be stickey on that spot for a while, and it may itch a little).

If she still has a problem with it, then ask her if she could do it for you.

ok i convinced her to let me do it but then she looked at the prices of it and said i have to get it

in the uk resin is: £8
setting gel is:£3
fiberglass:£2 per square meter

so right now im looking for cheaper alternatives

I'm not exactly sure how it would work with paper, but if it is heavy enough it could be great. Make all of the pep stuff, then brush on some wood glue. I know that Tightbond 2 or 3 is really strong. The first coat will need to be thin, but thicker coats could be applied later. It will take a while to dry, and it will take many coats, but ic could work. I would reccomend trying it on one of the smaller places, just to see if it works.

Only do that if you can't do the resin, because resin will work the best.

Once the wood glue dries I know it would work well, I just don't know how much it will warp the paper.

I think foam armor is your only option if your mother isn't comfortable and you want a cheaper alternative. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it. If you do resin, there is cost involved, not as high as smooth cast, but it is a concern for you.

Cardboard is another option, especially if this is your first build. Spending a lot of money on the materials if you are uncertain isn't the wisest move. Foam would be the cheapest, safest and easiest for you to use, especially if you are building for the first time.

There's a lot of work involved in the process, even if you are doing a basic armor set. Some of it is extremely time consuming. Unless you're going to dedicate the time to the methods of making it, you are not going to make much progress.

I would say start with cardboard and work up from there. That way at least your costs will be down and it will be easy to work with.

no offence but im not interested in the foam armor idea

actually, smoothcast 320 is about as expensive as fiberglass resin, but you have to have a local supplier (no shipping) and you have to buy in gallons (the price doubles when in trial kits) Plus you don't have to buy fiberglass itself. Paper mache can work, but it's heavy, takes a lot of time, and has suck quality.

Adam 4472,

It seems you have a money issue and anything you do in this hobby will cost money (glue, resin, tape, paint, tools etc etc), there is no way to get around that unless you have readily available materials. This for you will most likely be cardboard. You could use foam but you have some sort of obvious disdain for it even though thats what hobbies are for, learning and trying something hard.

Now I'm in 100% agreeance with what AlexSpartan177 said, and I will also look past the vast array of headache inducing grammatical errors and give you some advice or choices. For this I have made a flow chart for you to choose a path

Adam-1.png

Now Adam, this topic has been thoroughly covered in the 5, I repeat 5 pages of answers. The rest is up to you.

Good luck, you will need it!

Adam-1.png

dude.... just paint it in glue and be done with it this thread didnt need to be so long if he had just read the stickies and other tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back