My quick fiberglass tutorial video

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU64

Ok ladies and gentledudes,

I just spend a few hours making a sweet little video to show you how i fiberglass the outside of my matboard shells without any mess or fuss.
This is using the glass cloth and for outside only. The finished product is nearly perfectly smooth. Well, at least as smooth as the original surface is ;)

Don't mind my camera, 4.0MP might have cost $500 when I graduated (my gift) in 03 but now, I think they have cell phones with better quality o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this would be helpful to someone.. Any feedbck? good, bad? The vid sucked.. Anything?

wow, thats great! I tried Sigma's fiberglassing the inside deal, I thought it worked ok, but it was too hard, I am DEFINITELY gonna try this! man, I am such a retard for not thinking about that.

your tut rox!

-Chupa

Looks like a good idea. But it looks VERY time consuming. I may try this in the future. Thanks for the tutorial! Oh and good luck with you new helm :p

smilie120 said:
Looks like a good idea. But it looks VERY time consuming. I may try this in the future. Thanks for the tutorial! Oh and good luck with you new helm :p

Well, lets consider that you could do both sides of the helmet in about 30 minutes, I can glass the entire helmet and have it ready for Bondo in about 2 hours.

And this way it saves time because you're not going to have to sand the resin back into shape, you'll need BARELY ANY Bondo, and you get to keep all your details. Doesn't that sound nice?

Took me longer to make that video than it took me to glass one side of the helmet. I only included one section in the video.

Excellent Tutorial vid Sir!!!

I'll make sure this gets added to the Tutorial Links thread.

Thanks!

Spartan 110 said:
is it a pepakura helmet? if so how did you make it so smooth before you even started fiber glassing?
If I recall correctly it's not pepakura, he made his own helmet out of mat board.

Spartan 110 said:
is it a pepakura helmet? if so how did you make it so smooth before you even started fiber glassing?

I eyeballed the legendary helmet into a bigger size to fit me. That's all.
I cut all my pieces freehand. And I cut a left and right for each piece once I find a shape that works.
That way I get a symmetric shell and everything matches nicely :D

I cant wait to see this helmet, it will be extraterrestrial. (IDK what that means, just seemed to fit!)

One thing I noticed, you're not wearing gloves or anything! o_O Isn't that a huge safety risk? Didn't you read the sticky? When dealing with fiberglass resin you're supposed to wear gloves, long sleeves, goggles, respirator. The whole shebang.

Tru7h said:
One thing I noticed, you're not wearing gloves or anything! o_O Isn't that a huge safety risk? Didn't you read the sticky? When dealing with fiberglass resin you're supposed to wear gloves, long sleeves, goggles, respirator. The whole shebang.

That was like telling The Master Chief how to use weapons... :D

he probably wearing gloves cause he wasn't dealing with a large portion of resin/fiberglass. he was only doing a tiny section. and i'm guessing from this he is very experienced

Yes it was very useful :D Might try it myself, but why is that people say it is bad to fiberglass outside?

I feel like you can do a much cleaner job doing it outside but it seems time consuming.

I'm wondering if you put Bondo over the fiberglass outside will it effect it any way compared to simple resin?

I might try the method for my helmet but I'm unsure, I'm working on Flying Squirl's High Definition Mark VI and it has a lot of parts that would take a very long time to do like that.

Looks great! I like the approach. I'll be sticking with my inside fiberglassing but this is really cool. It's sweet to see folks still scratchbuilding too! That V2 suit is going to be awesome.

To those guys giving him advice, you do know he is Chris Bryan right? ;)

KuroKuma22 said:
I might try the method for my helmet but I'm unsure, I'm working on Flying Squirl's High Definition Mark VI and it has a lot of parts that would take a very long time to do like that.

You don't do it for EVERY separate panel. You use this method to glass sections that normally the cloth refuses to go around.
And again, you can always work anywhere on the shell as long as its not an adjacent edge. You could do one side, then the other side, move to the back, then to the front. All you need to do is wait the 2-3 minutes it takes for it to gel. Then start trimming from the first to last area.

I would do a video for the whole helmet but that would just be boring..

CPU64 said:
I eyeballed the legendary helmet into a bigger size to fit me. That's all.
I cut all my pieces freehand. And I cut a left and right for each piece once I find a shape that works.
That way I get a symmetric shell and everything matches nicely :D

Can you print on matboard? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back