n00b introduction + my assault rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxLonghorn

I just want to say first off, this site is amazing. I wish I could complete a set of armor for Halloween, but there's no way I could get it done by then. I did start though, and I made a full scale assault rifle this weekend out of poster board. Heres a pic:
[attachment=803:IMG_0558_small.jpg]
A few questions: I saw the fiberglassing tutorial for the helmet, where the cloth is cut up into strips and then applied, would that work for my rifle? And can I get fiberglass material locally, at a Home Depot or Lowes, or is the easiest place to find it online? Unfortunately I wont be able to do the fiberglass until thanksgiving break. Living in an apartment has its downsides...

time frame? You mean like which rifle is it modeled after? Mostly the MA5C, but It lacks some of the detail of that version, since I was looking at a picture of a MA5B. I might try to paint on some of the details later.

Yes, home depot and lowes will both have what you are looking for as far as fiberglassing supplies go... auto zone, vans auto parts etc should have it all also...

EDIT: Oh... and Go longhorns... can't wait to move back to Austin..

EDIT 2: I was just as happy Tech destroyed A&M... 7-35... and nice rifle...

Do you live in Austin? You MAY be able to get armor done in time... contact me.

TxLonghorn said:
I just want to say first off, this site is amazing. I wish I could complete a set of armor for Halloween, but there's no way I could get it done by then. I did start though, and I made a full scale assault rifle this weekend out of poster board. Heres a pic:
[attachment=803:IMG_0558_small.jpg]
A few questions: I saw the fiberglassing tutorial for the helmet, where the cloth is cut up into strips and then applied, would that work for my rifle? And can I get fiberglass material locally, at a Home Depot or Lowes, or is the easiest place to find it online? Unfortunately I wont be able to do the fiberglass until thanksgiving break. Living in an apartment has its downsides...
WOW thats one sexy AR NICE NICE JOB :D !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam said:
Do you live in Austin? You MAY be able to get armor done in time... contact me.
I'm so jealous, I wish I had an Adam, Sean, or Link living by me to help me with my stuff. But they'd probably hate me because I'd want to be their assistant.

Thanks everyone! And yea it seems like a lot of people here are from Texas. Another question, whats the best way to build the parts? What I've been doing (and what I did on the rifle) is just measuring what sizes of paper pieces I need, then cutting them and gluing them into place. Is there a better way? I don't want to go with pepakura, since that method seems to give a very polygonal feel to everything. Thanks!

TxLonghorn said:
Thanks! And no, its not pepakura, I found an entry in a Halo wiki for the assault rifle here- http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/MA5C_ICWS_Assault_Rifle and using the provided length and the side view image, I was able to figure out the relationship between all the pieces, and I was able to piece together the rifle.

hey thats a cool page! im gona use that after i get some experience with construction procedures.

i agree, that looks like a pretty sweet AR. Are you planning to do anything else to it now, i.e. fibreglass or make some sort of harder outer shell coating?

Spartan857 said:
nice AR, looks freakin perfect. did you use cardstock or?

I used posterboard, which I think might be the same thing as cardstock. Whatever it's called, it's what you buy at the store by the sheet for 50 cents, and each sheet is about 22" x 28" or so, and its thicker than normal paper.

Darkfire said:
i agree, that looks like a pretty sweet AR. Are you planning to do anything else to it now, i.e. fibreglass or make some sort of harder outer shell coating?

I do want to fiberglass it, and I saw a really awesome painting tutorial on this site here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHA-VvBVY0
I want to try that on the assault rifle, it should turn out good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back