Need A Good Nontoxic Hardener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sniperbaas392 said:
Well, in all likelihood, it wouldn't kill you immediately. If you managed to absorb any of those carcinogens into your bloodstream, you would have some nice lovely cancer floating around in the coming years. Otherwise the resin would pretty much burn right through your bowels. I don't want to even think about what colour your urine would be, but it would pretty much kill almost all the bacteria in your stomach... and intestines.... and your kidneys.... your liver would probably be overloaded.... not a pretty picture. :eek You'd survive with medical help though. One method that a couple of people have used with other crafts/armor (I saw it two years ago) is they use a mixture of just plain white glue and water applied in relatively the same method as fiberglass to muslin cloth. (1:1 glue + water ~~~~ soak the cloth in it~~~~~ put on the inside of the armor.) I'm not sure how well it worked out... Good luck with whatever you do!!! (BTW: Dibs on the first chocolate armor :pActually... I've seen a fairly good masterchief cake :lol )

Good luck!

It's not going to be chocolate, it's going to be CHEESE! :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason02 said:
It's not going to be chocolate, it's going to be CHEESE! :lol

Mmmmmmmm! Cheese! What type? Nothing beats a nice sharp cheddar! Actually, my mom made cheese fondue last night. (off-topic) it was quite nice.

Cheers!

Jason02 said:
Thanks for the info, and I'll definitely look into the linen idea.

The thing with actual fiberglass, and similar fibers, is that they can't be shortened. If you push on the end of a fiberglass strand, it only has the options of taking the load, or bowing out of the way. It does not compress. Conversely, if you push in the middle to bend it, it doesn't stretch, so it bows and pulls the ends in. So when you encase it in resin, it can't bow [as much], so forces that come in from any direction that would typically push the fibers out of the way are just resisted. Fibers like thread DO compress. So you don't get anything even close to the rigidity of fiberglass.

This is actually the one thing that turned me off from this site though for a bit, I did not have toxic materials in my allowed tools. In the winter months like now I can hardly go outside to do anything but shovel snow. So I have been trying to find a good and hopefully cheaper then aqua resin method. At the moment I am working on using a substance like wall spackle, but I am on hold Right now. I am at the moment more helping a friend on his quest for portable dreamcast system over at Benheck forums

Please make it real cheese!

Awesomeness said:
The thing with actual fiberglass, and similar fibers, is that they can't be shortened. If you push on the end of a fiberglass strand, it only has the options of taking the load, or bowing out of the way. It does not compress. Conversely, if you push in the middle to bend it, it doesn't stretch, so it bows and pulls the ends in. So when you encase it in resin, it can't bow [as much], so forces that come in from any direction that would typically push the fibers out of the way are just resisted. Fibers like thread DO compress. So you don't get anything even close to the rigidity of fiberglass.

Interesting information, and it certainly makes sense... I've never thought about it though. So much for my curiosity. :sleep

On the topic of alternate fibers, though... If I wanted to use Spectra fiber, could I simply chop up some spectra fiber fishing line and use that? Or would it be too cost prohibitive? Or are there other things to consider in that situation? <.<

The fiberglass/sectra/kevlar/etc cloths that you get for fiberglassing are usually ideal. The companies spend a great deal of time figuring out what thickness of fibers yield the best results, in wetting and strength. Spectra fishing line will not have those things considered in its design. Also, there may be oils or chemicals that are used in the production of the fishing line that would inhibit wetting or adhesion.

The cheapest method, per quantity, is probably to actually find a supplier of the cloth that you want, that is intended for composite lamination. If you don't want it in woven cloth form, they likely also sell it matted, or you could shred it.

Awesomeness said:
The cheapest method, per quantity, is probably to actually find a supplier of the cloth that you want, that is intended for composite lamination. If you don't want it in woven cloth form, they likely also sell it matted, or you could shred it.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the great advice! The only problem is the fact that I can't find any suppliers! D: Oh well, I guess I'll be off scouring the interwebs for something remotely local so I don't destroy my budget on shipping costs alone. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back