Need help with M6C Pistol (painting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GruntOfAction

Right, so this is the pistol that was recasted from link's and yadda yadda..I need help finding paints for it.

Im trying to go cheap sorta since I need it done before the 24th. What kind of spray paints (primers, actuall coat, and sealer) do you reccomend I get for the job? The humidity around here is generally 40%-55%.

Grunt,

From my own experience in prop building, the best type of spray paint to use is automotive. It's relatively inexpensive and very durable. You can handle the piece many times without much wear and tear on the finish. Sealer is key to preventing this.

I would recommend using automotive spray paints for all stages (primer, actual coat, sealer). Using primer allows one to see any imperfections in the piece that need to be fixed/corrected, so apply a couple coats of this to make any final revisions before going on to applying the actual paint.

For the sealer, also referred to as a "clear coat", you can get it in either glossy or matte (flat) finish. Which one you use depends on your personal preference. If you want something with a bright shine use glossy, or if you want a duller metallic shine use matte.

To contend with the humidity, which may cause issues in the paint adhering properly to the piece, best practice is to emmerse the paint in luke-warm water for a few minutes. Warming the paint prior to spraying will allow it to bond to the resin better, and limit any imperfections caused by the coats of paint (that point explained in the following paragraph).

Apply several coats of the base paint, and any additional colours for the details. This should be done slowly, doing a few passes over the piece for each coat. I would strongly suggest against doing each coat in one pass, as that can result in excess paint on the surface of the prop and cause running or "pooling" of paint in certain areas. It's always best to apply a few light layers for each coat. That way you get a much more even and cleaner finish on your prop.

I couldn't say just what colours/paint codes for paint to use, but I hope the above's of some help... ;)

Wow...that is by far the most helpful comment ever..

Now I have another question..When I spray the paint onto it (doing it on newspaper) should I wait till the one side dries before flipping it and doing the other side? Or will that make the colors mess up somehow?

YES!
Do do that, it helps a LOT.
Paint one side, let it dry, flip it, let it dry, do touch up.
REMEMBER:
Do slow arcs around 10 inches away to get the BEST finish.

GruntOfAction said:
Wow...that is by far the most helpful comment ever..

Now I have another question..When I spray the paint onto it (doing it on newspaper) should I wait till the one side dries before flipping it and doing the other side? Or will that make the colors mess up somehow?

Ares said:
YES!
Do do that, it helps a LOT.
Paint one side, let it dry, flip it, let it dry, do touch up.
REMEMBER:
Do slow arcs around 10 inches away to get the BEST finish.

You don't want to make the arcs too slow, though, otherwise you may encounter unwanted results such as running and "pooling".

And be sure to apply the paint in several light coats. Not to sound like a broken record (I know I already said that), but I can't stress it enough. I know how hard it can be to not rush finishing a prop as we all want to see our work done as quickly as possible (I've made that mistake once or twice), but if you do then it'll just turn into more work and you'll have to refinish it.

When applying the coats of paint, check to see if the paint at all drips down to the underside (unpainted side, against the newspaper) of the piece. This is the sort of result you want to avoid. Also, I'd suggest taking a wire hanger, unbend it and somehow attach it to the piece to suspend it so that you can cover more of it in each pass. I don't know if you can really do that with this particular piece, but that's just another friendly suggestion... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well today was going to be the day when I got the supplies because of how long it would take the primer, paint and sealer to dry I would have had it done by Sunday...But I cannot get there so it looks like im fucked for getting it ready for launch..

Last edited by a moderator:
DAMN it's almost Halo 3 release.

I'm crying. mentally.

ANYWAYS,
You could do it within a few hours, once you get the paint.

Well we just went today..Couldn't find any automotive paint but I did get some spray on Testors Model paint. Primer, flat black, and a clear coat..as well as some resporators and some VERY fine sandpaper..all under $20. I have it sanded and cleaned ready for primer tomorrow..Things are actually going very good.

Sry for double post but..

Primer went on sucessfully..noticed a few airbubbles from the actuall resin model itself but hopfully we can fix it. Its drying ATM..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back