Needing help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartancody

Hello, this'll be my first time doing a Halo cosplay and could really use some help. I'm thinking of doing something like a Spartan ODST scout. Unfortunately I don't have access to a 3d printer and idk where to start. Is there any pointers or anything that would assist me in building my armor?

Hello, this'll be my first time doing a Halo cosplay and could really use some help. I'm thinking of doing something like a Spartan ODST scout. Unfortunately I don't have access to a 3d printer and idk where to start. Is there any pointers or anything that would assist me in building my armor?
Under the Armory tab here on the 405th you will see all the different permutations of armor available to download. The files will likely include the a pepakura and foam version and some will have an obj. file that can be worked into a 3D printable state. Thingiverse will have a lot of print ready files as well.

If you are looking to start 3D printing a lot of people have good experiences with the different Ender-3 printers by creality. They are relatively inexpensive and while you'd likely have to cut models to fit on the print bed, it might make a good beginning printer.I don't have any recommendations on getting someone to print parts for you (I'm sure someone will chime in with this information) although this route might be more pricey compared to buying a printer and doing it yourself.

Hiya Spartancody! Not to worry if you don't have access to a 3D printer. The most other common ways involve using foam and pepakura (papercraft). Even something like cardboard is still viable nowadays! Happy to elaborate a bit more on these methods.

Hello hello Spartancody! i am looking forward to seeing how you carry through with this cosplay. (assuming you post updates) But as for where to start, i've no idea for a spartan, as i've never done one myself, but I can at least point you in the right direction for the ODST aspect of things. For the basics, i'd recommend checking out AndrewDFT on youtube for some guides on how to make a few of the ODST armour pieces. I've also heard good things about Kamuicosplay and Odin Makes, though i've never checked them out myself.

As for supplies, i'd recommend a razor blade or x-acto knife of some sort, and make sure to buy lots of blades if you're using x-acto, as the dull very quickly and a sharp blade makes a huge difference in EVA foam. I buy my blades from amazon. (200 blades for around $10) So, they're fairly cheap and a perfectly viable option. I've also seen box cutter/utility knifes used as well.(the kind with the segmented blades you can snap off)

For the foam, i've seen that Hobby Lobby and many craft stores similar to it will carry EVA foam in 2mm, 5mm, and 10mm varieties, as well as air dry foam clay for filling those ever so pesky seams. For thicker varieties, (12mm) i've seen them sold at Home Depot, in the format of the foam floor tiles, though it is very expensive there. (around $21) I also know that harbor freight carries them for much cheaper (around $8-10).

So, thats just an option if you feel inclined to try out of EVA foam. I also know that the armory on this site is phenomenal for reference, pepakura files, and unfolds for both foam and pep stuff to use as templates. For 3D printing, as S225 said, the Ender-3 series is a good start. I got an Ender-3 pro for around $210 and after a year, it has worked well with very few hiccups. Overall, I like it a ton and would recommend checking it out if you are inclined to buy a printer.

I hope this helped, and i'm sure that the fine people of this community would be more than happy to help with anything you need in any way that they can.

Hello hello Spartancody! i am looking forward to seeing how you carry through with this cosplay. (assuming you post updates) But as for where to start, i've no idea for a spartan, as i've never done one myself, but I can at least point you in the right direction for the ODST aspect of things. For the basics, i'd recommend checking out AndrewDFT on youtube for some guides on how to make a few of the ODST armour pieces. I've also heard good things about Kamuicosplay and Odin Makes, though i've never checked them out myself.

As for supplies, i'd recommend a razor blade or x-acto knife of some sort, and make sure to buy lots of blades if you're using x-acto, as the dull very quickly and a sharp blade makes a huge difference in EVA foam. I buy my blades from amazon. (200 blades for around $10) So, they're fairly cheap and a perfectly viable option. I've also seen box cutter/utility knifes used as well.(the kind with the segmented blades you can snap off)

For the foam, i've seen that Hobby Lobby and many craft stores similar to it will carry EVA foam in 2mm, 5mm, and 10mm varieties, as well as air dry foam clay for filling those ever so pesky seams. For thicker varieties, (12mm) i've seen them sold at Home Depot, in the format of the foam floor tiles, though it is very expensive there. (around $21) I also know that harbor freight carries them for much cheaper (around $8-10).

So, thats just an option if you feel inclined to try out of EVA foam. I also know that the armory on this site is phenomenal for reference, pepakura files, and unfolds for both foam and pep stuff to use as templates. For 3D printing, as S225 said, the Ender-3 series is a good start. I got an Ender-3 pro for around $210 and after a year, it has worked well with very few hiccups. Overall, I like it a ton and would recommend checking it out if you are inclined to buy a printer.

I hope this helped, and i'm sure that the fine people of this community would be more than happy to help with anything you need in any way that they can.
I've done some work with materials similar to EVA but alot thicker I guess you could say. I've used Palite pvc foam board for my current mandalorian cosplay and I've heard the two materials have varying similarities to one another as far as shaping and such.

Kamui does pretty good work from what I've seen as well.

I'll have to check my local hobby lobby out then and it's apparently within walking distance.

I might actually go the EVA route bc it seems easier to get the foam and may be easier to work with.

I'll be posting updates as I go along though.

Heya Spartancody, welcome to the 405th! Foam would be a great option for you if you don't have access to a 3D printer. Myself and another member named Fallen have written up an intro to foam guide, along with links to buying options that you may find helpful:

Additionally, I'd also recommend checking out a number of YouTube creators such as Kamui as you mentioned, EvilTed and PunishedProps. I also have my own channel where I've got tutorials on building a Spartan which may be helpful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back