Props Nerf MA40 (but in-game accurate)

Jerverant

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Hello 405th!!

I've just modified my Nerf MA40 and tought it was a good idea to make a thread out of it, since I took a lot of pictures and videos

Well, here's how it came out:

MA40_0000_01 - copia.jpg

And a few detail shots:

MA40_0001_02.jpg
MA40_0002_03.jpg
MA40_0003_04.jpg
MA40_0004_05.jpg

The entire process was basically:

• Change the muzzle brake
• Cut the magazine
• Fill and sand toy screw holes/logos
• Repaint

Muzzle brake

My first thought when I bought the rifle, was "that muzzle brake looks wierd", it is too short and wide to be an accurate one.

So, found some files on Thingiverse, that rifle files were split into pieces, so I just grabbed the muzzle brake file, printed it at 100% scale, and lucky for me, it fit perfectly in the hole left after cutting the original muzzle brake. Then, just glued it to the rifle using 2 part epoxy glue, and filled the union with some detail-filler (here in México is called "Plaster" by a brand named "Comex"; it's basically Spot Putty)

IMG_20221127_223830.jpg
IMG_20221226_122939.jpg
IMG_20221228_151847.jpg

As you noticed, the rifle changed color; that's because I had to emergency paint it to be used at a Con :lol: but lastly I decided to go with the default coating, instead of the red one.

Magazine

Another upgrade that it had to be done, was the magazine, which was too long, luckilky, nothin that a saw could fix:

IMG_20221222_175202.jpg
IMG_20221222_175209.jpg
IMG_20221222_235547.jpg

I cut a big piece of the magazine and leave the top part intact, for the magazine to still be removable. Then, attached the two pieces by adding some wood pieces inside and glue them with 2 part epoxy. Finally, also used "Comex Plaster" to fill that gap between the 2 pieces.

Filling and Sanding

As you can see in some pictures up here, I filled the real screw holes with, you guessed right!: Comex Plaster (I'm sorry, I love that thing)

Also, filled and sanded all of the "toy marks", like the Nerf/Halo logos; also filled the battery "door"? (my english didn't help me here)

Anyway, sanded a LOT and the only screw holes left were the fake ones (the ones that needed to be there to be "accurate")

IMG_20221229_144501.jpg

Painting

Lastly, and my favorite part: painting.

First of all, I glued the ammo counter to the rifle with 2-part epoxy glue, and then, primer and start the painting.

IMG_20230102_164040.jpg
IMG_20230105_122640.jpg

Started with the lighter gray, then moving to the darkest tones. I used vinyl paint (I believe it's called "house paint" too). This was a long process, because I had to wait for the first color to dry before adding the next, and for every color to be fully complete, had to apply 3 layers each color. After that, clear coat and weathering.

IMG_20230105_122704.jpg
IMG_20230105_122714.jpg

For the weathering, used some silver paint to make the scratches; diluted black oil paint to make the stains in the lighter colors, and diluted brown oil paint to make the stains in the darker colors.

To fully finish, of course I had to make the decals. The ammo counter was printed in vinyl and the rest of the decals were stencils made with vinyl cricut and painted with a sponge and acrilycs.

IMG_20230105_135626.jpg
IMG_20230105_150044.jpg

I vectorized all of the decals using the following image as reference, and adjusted them to the Nerf scale:

haloinfinite_decal_atlas-ma40_4k-7e3b154767c7409a8e300960d69ec3af.png

If you want to see more of the references images I used, you can enter this Artstation link.
If you're repainting your Nerf MA40 and want to make the decals, here's the .eps file of the decals I've made.

Finally, if you understand some spanish (or don't understand any of it but still want to see the process), I've made two TikTok videos explaining some of my process during this build:

Part 1
Part 2

And that's for the MA40!! I wanted to do this like a year ago (when I bought the rifle), but couldn't do it untill now; and I couldn't be more proud with the result :')

Thanks for reading me! See ya

Jerverant Cosplay · Instagram

Wow this looks stunning! Now you're making me want to upgrade my repaint! Definitely going to try applying these decals and updating the ammo counter.

Question though, with the barrel replacement can it still fire the nerf bullets? Because if so I might give that a shot!

Wow this looks stunning! Now you're making me want to upgrade my repaint! Definitely going to try applying these decals and updating the ammo counter.

Question though, with the barrel replacement can it still fire the nerf bullets? Because if so I might give that a shot!
Unfortunately not :( it has been promoted from "usable toy" to "unusable but good looking cosplay prop"

Really like this mod! How solid is that barrel? With the stock one it can bump against stuff, just wanna make sure mine won't break once I mod it with this and all

Really like this mod! How solid is that barrel? With the stock one it can bump against stuff, just wanna make sure mine won't break once I mod it with this and all
Actually pretty solid! The printed barrel slightly fits into the hole; the 2 part epoxy glue in all the base is what most helps with the rigidity, but also the filler helps a lot

Actually pretty solid! The printed barrel slightly fits into the hole; the 2 part epoxy glue in all the base is what most helps with the rigidity, but also the filler helps a lot
Good to know, I'll give it a try! Been wanting to repaint my MA40 anyways, so this is an excuse to do so!

Man that looks amazing! I got one as a gift and have been toying (haha) with the idea of using it as a prop. Seeing yours makes me definitely want to do it

Is the file for the new barrel available online? Where did you get the file?
If you click on the link in the first post where Jerverant says they found a file on Thingiverse it takes you here:

If you click on the link in the first post where Jerverant says they found a file on Thingiverse it takes you here:

Sorry, didnt see the clickable link, thanks!

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back