Never made a suit, have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Silver 6

Greetings, just started looking into this community earlier this week. Looks like a nice group of people.

I've gotten interested in doing a suit of armor, but I've never attempted something of this nature, so I've got a few questions to ask. I know some of the basics of what I'm after. I know that I want to do an ODST, and intend to do the armor out of foam.

Beyond that though, I have two major questions.

1. What is the best template to use for a beginner like me, who's never attempted to make a suit using Pepakura. I've found 3 major sources of ODST templates: The armory here on 405th, Andrew DFT, and Heroes Workshop. I've never touched Pepakura, so I'd love to hear what you guys this is the option least likely to make me go insane.

2. I've read through all the info and FAQ threads, and I have a question regarding deployment that I haven't seen answered. Would making a personalized armor suit render it ineligible for a deployment tier? That is to say, if I gave the suit custom markings, or personalized tactical gear, pouches, ammo straps, etc, would that be allowed. Or is it required that you replicate a specific design showcased in the games themselves?

2. I've read through all the info and FAQ threads, and I have a question regarding deployment that I haven't seen answered. Would making a personalized armor suit render it ineligible for a deployment tier? That is to say, if I gave the suit custom markings, or personalized tactical gear, pouches, ammo straps, etc, would that be allowed. Or is it required that you replicate a specific design showcased in the games themselves?

Hello. First, to be Deployed you will need to be a Regimental Member, which means you will need 50 posts and an account that has been active for 90 days, and then you have to join your local regiment, you still have a ways to go before you should be concerned about Deploying a costume.

The Following are the general guidelines for each Tier that I use when providing input on a build, but each costume is judged on an individual basis on Fit, Scaling, Construction, and Accuracy when be sorting into a Tier.

Do remember that Deployment is an optional process in the 405th. A deployed costume is not a requirement for Membership and the Default view on 405th events is that all costumes are welcome and are not limited to Deployed costumes only for participation.

Tier 1 Guidelines:

-Costume must be based on a published, official Halo Universe source, including Games, Comics, Novels, and Art Books.
-Costumes based on Concept Art are applicable for Deployment when the designs have been published in an Official Microsoft or 343 Industries publication, such as a “Art of” of book. Designs posted on an individual Artist’s website but not seen in an official publication are not applicable.
-No original, fan designed Armor Sets, permutations, or components are applicable for Deployment.
-Costume must be complete with all primary components must be present.
(Primary components will be determined on a costume by costume basis. An item or component becomes optional for Deployment when in game or in universe references show that an item or component varies in appearance, location, or presence. Examples include pouches or ammo bandoliers on ODSTs or armor/helmet accessories in Halo Reach Armor. Any missing primary components make a costume ineligible for Deployment.)
-Costume may have inaccuracies in color on Under suits, soft goods, and in Armor paint jobs. E.G. ODST Camo Under suit colors or Armor paint job may feature colors or patterns not seen In Game.
-Costume details may be “soft” or not well defined. If all armor or Primary Components are physically present, some details maybe missing or omitted for Tier 1.
- “Polygonal” appearance from use of Pepakura may be present. Armor has not been sanded smooth.
-Seams in Foam Armor may be present.
-Armor may lack a Neck Seal for SPARTANS and ODSTs.
-Armor may have fitting or proportion scaling issues. E.G. Slightly oversized pieces.
-Armor Under suits or “Tech Suits” may lack details. Under suits may be plain fabric like Underarmor or Morphsuits.
-Weathering, including physical damage, black washes, dirt, grime, and exposed silver paint may be either more or less than depicted In Game or in Visual references.

Tier 2 Guidelines:

-If present In-Game, costume must have a Neck Seal.
-Costume may still have inaccuracies in colors or patterns in armor paint schemes.
-Costume may have “Non-canon” paint details or decals that simulate armor graffiti or personalization.
-Armored costume under suits will have greater details and be a better match to in game references. E.G. ODSTs will not have a camouflage pattern Under suit, Halo 3 Marines will select a camouflage pattern that better replicates in game reference rather than using Current Military camouflage such as MARPAT or ACU.
-Halo 4 and 5 tech suits will exhibit details, but may still be lacking complete texture replication. Tech Suit details may be printed, painted, or dye sublimated on Fabric.
-Armor pieces must be sanded smooth. Method of construction must not be determined by appearance of piece.
-Armor sets having Handplates will have physical handplates in the correct shape and style. For Tier 2 repainted "Paintball" padded gloves are not acceptable.

Tier 3 Guidelines:

-Costume must appear to have virtually “Stepped off the screen.”
-Costume must have an In-Game or In-Universe, published, visual Reference that it matches to.
-Colors and Paint Scheme or Pattern must match references.
- Costume proportions must match In Game appearance and costume must be fitted to the wearer.
-Details must be replicated as close as possible and be present.
-Under suit details that are recreated physically rather than being painted or printed are almost automatically viewed as Tier 3 level detail. This may include actually sewing seams in an accurate position, or the use foam, rubber, or leather pieces glued or sewn in place to recreate raised details.
-Ptinted or Painted Undersuit details are still eligiable for Tier 3.
-Armor attachment system and any strapping system are not visible or their appearance has been greatly minimized.
-Weathering patterns, details, and appearance must be replicated as close as possible and be present.
- “Optional Accessories” like Pouches or ammo bandoliers on characters like ODSTs or Marines that exhibit a variety of placement schemes In-Game must be shown to match an In-Game reference in the placement used.
-Individual costumes and costume types will have different Tier 3 Specific Details that must be present. Examples include: “Layered” padding or armor on interior of ODST Thighs, Under suit Details on Halo Reach styled SPARTAN abdominal areas, Under suit details on Halo 4 and 5 “Tech Suits.”

Greetings, just started looking into this community earlier this week. Looks like a nice group of people.

I've gotten interested in doing a suit of armor, but I've never attempted something of this nature, so I've got a few questions to ask. I know some of the basics of what I'm after. I know that I want to do an ODST, and intend to do the armor out of foam.

Beyond that though, I have two major questions.

1. What is the best template to use for a beginner like me, who's never attempted to make a suit using Pepakura. I've found 3 major sources of ODST templates: The armory here on 405th, Andrew DFT, and Heroes Workshop. I've never touched Pepakura, so I'd love to hear what you guys this is the option least likely to make me go insane.

As cadet wonderfully put the guidelines here, I would just like to say that the teir system is just a feel good and goal, rather than a required thing to participate. If your suit is that original you will get teir one, and teir two at max, but this does not matter. What matters is that you build your suit how you want, to your standards, and you enjoy it.

For armor making, the Andrewdft template will be the most friendly to you. It will be the easiest to make, but not very game acurate. I have seen some amazing dft builds though, so if you want something easy for your first build, I would say do it. You can always add more detail to it or start a better build when finished. As far as I know, the heroes workshop is almost the same as what the 405th has, and his is paid to get. If you want a little more of a challenge but better detail, go for the armory files. Just make sure you take your time and dont settle for average. Get picky because every imperfection will show through later and add more work. Go slow and strive for perfection. You got this and we are here to help :)

I would also reccomend watching videos by kamuicosplay, zonzonzombie, evil Ted, punishedprops, and any other foam Smith on YouTube. Learning how to use foam, reading other odst builds on the 405th, and looking at references will be your best friend

Hello. First, to be Deployed you will need to be a Regimental Member, which means you will need 50 posts and an account that has been active for 90 days, and then you have to join your local regiment, you still have a ways to go before you should be concerned about Deploying a costume.
Oh I know it's still a long way out, but I want to get all my ducks in a row in advance, plan out what I want to do well before I still knife to foam. Plus it's gonna be a long time before I get the suit going anyway, still need to lose some more weight. I'd rather not be a fat ODST.

As cadet wonderfully put the guidelines here, I would just like to say that the teir system is just a feel good and goal, rather than a required thing to participate. If your suit is that original you will get teir one, and teir two at max, but this does not matter. What matters is that you build your suit how you want, to your standards, and you enjoy it.

For armor making, the Andrewdft template will be the most friendly to you. It will be the easiest to make, but not very game acurate. I have seen some amazing dft builds though, so if you want something easy for your first build, I would say do it. You can always add more detail to it or start a better build when finished. As far as I know, the heroes workshop is almost the same as what the 405th has, and his is paid to get. If you want a little more of a challenge but better detail, go for the armory files. Just make sure you take your time and dont settle for average. Get picky because every imperfection will show through later and add more work. Go slow and strive for perfection. You got this and we are here to help :)

I would also reccomend watching videos by kamuicosplay, zonzonzombie, evil Ted, punishedprops, and any other foam Smith on YouTube. Learning how to use foam, reading other odst builds on the 405th, and looking at references will be your best friend
I'll keep this in mind and take a look at those channels you mentioned.

Maybe I'll start with a DFT build, and just go nuts with it, if it goes well then I can go for a more game accurate design later using the armory files.

Made a basic titan suit out of foam from scratch without templates looking to make a halo suit can I use the templates for foam or just papakura

Made a basic titan suit out of foam from scratch without templates looking to make a halo suit can I use the templates for foam or just papakura
Pepakura is conventionally used to make armor out of paper, but if you remove tabs and account for the thickness of the foam, it is very easy to convert the templates to foam. I reccomend starting your own thread to post progress and questions, and watch videos/read threads on similar builds on the 405th to understand how they approached the process. The armory should have foam conversion templates but heroes workshop has a good video on how to convert pepakura to foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back