New Armour Tech Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey 405th! This is my first topic.

I was wondering what cool ideas the people here on this site had for gadgets in armour. (eg: lights, fans, etc)

Here is one of my ideas:

Though it may seem obvious, I thought that a Heads Up Display (HUD) would be a nice addition to any armour.

Even if it is just an old web cam stuck on the end of your gun, it would be pretty awesome to face one way while looking in the direction that your gun is pointing.

I would also be usefull to have a radio headset in your helmet.

TheHow7zer said:
Hey 405th! This is my first topic.

I was wondering what cool ideas the people here on this site had for gadgets in armour. (eg: lights, fans, etc)

Here is one of my ideas:

Though it may seem obvious, I thought that a Heads Up Display (HUD) would be a nice addition to any armour.

Even if it is just an old web cam stuck on the end of your gun, it would be pretty awesome to face one way while looking in the direction that your gun is pointing.

I would also be usefull to have a radio headset in your helmet.

First of all, welcome to the 405th!

Lights and fans are pretty common around here, and VERY cool. a HUD is a very awesome idea, although not exactly what you're describing. But what you're describing is actually game-accurate, ever wonder how you have 2x zoom on your pistol? Now, getting the screen into the helmet is another issue, entirely. My ODST helmet is actually going to have a 2-way radio headset built in, as I'm going to be on security staff at a convention coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thread and I hope its good, but this has been done thousands of times before.

Sure, you would have been called a necro poster if you revived them, but Ive seen at least 9 of these sort of threads =P

Not to be a killjoy or anything =D

Charlie

EDIT: Welcome to the 405th!! Sorry about being harsh! Just make sure you read the stickies and you'll be fine!

And Flyrefly, OLEDs are flexible and see through =D

Chazodude said:
And Flyrefly, OLEDs are flexible and see through =D

Woo! Off topic time! Yes, I know about OLEDs. They're just EXCESSIVELY expensive. Sony's 11" OLED monitor is $2500, just to give you a price point on those. So it's possible, but dang. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to do it, but it's way out of my league.

it is a very feasible idea but you'll want to start off simple otherwise you will either not fit in yoursuit because of all the cadetgs or something will go horribly wrong but the camera is a nice idea

The simple question is how are you going to mount a screen in your helmet, what are you going to supply the power with, and how are you going to run it? You obviously can't just hook up a camera to any sort of tiny screen and have it display what it sees, especially a webcam.

However, even if you were able to do this, how are you going to connect them? You'd need to have a sort of wire, unless you wanted to be extremely expensive about the whole thing and have it wireless. Plus, that monitor is going to get in the way in your helmet.

It's a fun idea, but not very plausible. I think new members here believe making the armor itself is easy. Which it really isn't. It's hard work to get a good, scaled Pep, and then to Resin and Glass it, then sand and detail it, then paint it. Since they believe its easy to make the armor out of paper, they come up with all these hardcore ideas... which after you put so much time and effort into your armor, those hardcore ideas aren't necessary to make your armor awesome, as it already is.

Welcome to the 405th!

Actually, I know of a guy who took one of THESE, gutted it, mounted the camera and transmitter to his airsoft gun, and mounted the screen and receiver onto his helmet.

I suggest taking a look at the display used in the ROBOTIC FIREFIGHTER ASSISTANT episode of Prototype This. They use a screen from eMagin, its reminiscent of DBZ. Not sure which one it is, nor how much it costs though.

sounds like it would be a complicated build. And honestly i don't think it will be worth the extra effort.

Here's what i think would be cool and practical

- Internal Mp3 system

- External speaker system so I could speak

- Internal fans

- Camera unit for me to take photographs maybe though the photos could only be retrieved later

- Camelbak hydration system?

- Searchlights mounted on shoulder or chest or something

- 2 way radio set!

Here: Internal MP3 System.

Hook up a pair of headphones into your helmet, then make a pouch on your armor for your Halo 3 Zune. :D

Curly said:
sounds like it would be a complicated build. And honestly i don't think it will be worth the extra effort.

Here's what i think would be cool and practical

- Internal Mp3 system

- External speaker system so I could speak

- Internal fans

- Camera unit for me to take photographs maybe though the photos could only be retrieved later

- Camelbak hydration system?

- Searchlights mounted on shoulder or chest or something

- 2 way radio set!

MP3 ---- wire the headphones into the helm.

Fans ---- Talk to any of the pros... I know Sean Bradley has done some nice things with fans.

Camera Unit/HUD "Cannabalize" a cheap old digital camera, route the LCD screen to you helmet and put the lens on your gun, your back (rear cam) (for those pesky cardboard boxes... I'm looking at you Trooper0621), or on your chest. That way you have pics and a "battlefield updater"

Camelbaks fit under most chest pieces, or you can build it into a chest/back piece

2 way radio --- Scavenge a mike, put it into your helm. Channel 1 is your "radio channel" Channel 2 is linked to a secondary radio/speaker set for your external speaker system.

That's how I'm thinking about doing it.

Good Luck

Cheers!

Ha. I like the Idea..

But Having a HUD would basically be Like JHMCS for a jet.

Basically you have a tiny projector in the helmet with special reflections..

That's a veryyy expensive job lol

Flyerfye said:
First of all, welcome to the 405th!

Lights and fans are pretty common around here, and VERY cool. a HUD is a very awesome idea, although not exactly what you're describing. But what you're describing is actually game-accurate, ever wonder how you have 2x zoom on your pistol? Now, getting the screen into the helmet is another issue, entirely. My ODST helmet is actually going to have a 2-way radio headset built in, as I'm going to be on security staff at a convention coming up.

Thanks!

Yeah, the fans are cool but I'm not so sure about the lights. I am making a stealthy Spartan III ( You know, the ones from Ghosts Of Onyx ), completely black/dark grey -accept for the gold visors- EOD-esque armour ( EOD helm, not so sure about the rest ), with a Auto-Mag/SMG and a BR/Sniper Rifle ( Haven't decided yet ). So as you can see, LEDs might not go over so well for the look I am going for as I am planning on doing some short films with my armour (I already have the whole character history written out)!

I know its game-accurate, thats where I got the idea. ^^

And a built-in Headset is also on my to-do list.

Sniperbaas392 said:
MP3 ---- wire the headphones into the helm.

Fans ---- Talk to any of the pros... I know Sean Bradley has done some nice things with fans.

Camera Unit/HUD "Cannabalize" a cheap old digital camera, route the LCD screen to you helmet and put the lens on your gun, your back (rear cam) (for those pesky cardboard boxes... I'm looking at you Trooper0621), or on your chest. That way you have pics and a "battlefield updater"

Camelbaks fit under most chest pieces, or you can build it into a chest/back piece

2 way radio --- Scavenge a mike, put it into your helm. Channel 1 is your "radio channel" Channel 2 is linked to a secondary radio/speaker set for your external speaker system.

That's how I'm thinking about doing it.

Good Luck

Cheers!

Yeah dude, that camera idea of yours is pretty much the same that I had in mind. And I think that I will now have to copy off of you Radio/Speaker setup. Though some thing I also have wanted to do from the start was put a voice-changer into my helm.

well, i'm about to gut my bluetooth so i can just make phone calls. and i've been looking into a HMD and seeing if i can get one of my teachers to help me make a personal one. i know my school has the supplies for it, all the programming equipment, cameras, and all tha good junk. it is going to be my fine project to myself. i want it to be fully intregtes with thermal vision and a gps mapping system. i know the military is starting to use stuff like this. i know i know, big dreams, but i know soon i'll have bluetooth in it lol

I've got a cheap digital camera I plan to cannibalize for Romeo's goggles. The plan is to put the camera lens in the large optics port on the goggles and put the display front and center facing me, so I can flip the goggles down over the visor and use the zoom control, which I will mount on top, to zoom in and out. I wanted to put an infrared camera in the smaller optics port, but I have no idea how I'd make that one work.

Fans are a must, since these helmets get hot.

Smart-linked digital scopes (e.g. the M6D) would be cool, but I don't see how you could make one of those work practically.

I read somewhere that someone was going to backlight his ODST helmet, to try and replicate the effect of the visor polarization, as seen in Halo ODST. Don't know how far they got, but it's an idea I may try.

If you're making Mjolnir armor, it'd be pretty cool if you could incorporate an AI crystal slot, though it would be purely aesthetic. (Unless you decide to give it a purpose, like a slot for the phone battery that powers your fans and lights, or memory card for the camera you're making into the above optics.)

I have the capacity, probably, for 1, 2, 4, and 5 in that list, but not the scope. No knowledge on that.

Hello, umm with the pepakura program must u buy the password for 30$ it think it was or is there a way somone noes about that i dont.

i got an idea to use something like the Christmas tree lights you see that are in the clear rubber tube and then cover the side of the tube facing you so it wont blind you but im thinking with a thin paint for an ODST visor the lights might make it partly clear when turned on.

sorry, you would use the lights and line the rim of the visor with them.

(Hey Sernation, please try to keep it on topic. Pepakura Designer's demo version is free and does everything you need to do. The only downside is that you can't save any files, but unless you're creating your own pepakura, that's not much of a problem. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me so we don't clutter up the topic.)

Anywho.

As far as Camelbaks go, I can go ahead and throw my two cents in. I'll be utilizing my own inside my Arbiter, as I'd rather not die of heat exhaustion inside that dang thing.

Pro: No having to take water breaks and, in my case, de-armor.

Con(s): You need it in your mouth to drink from it, and if it's in your mouth, talking is annoying.. Now, of course, you can mount it somewhere in your helmet so you just have to lean your head forward a bit to get the mouthpiece, but that's a potential annoyance.

You also need to have the "straw" from the backpack to the mouthpiece. I don't think you guys would like that visible, so yeah you could put it under your back plate, but then you'll have this random tube coming out the back and into your helmet. You can either play on that, or, put it under your undersuit. Then it gets tricky.

So there we go.

Also, as far as HUD goes.. it's honestly only something that you yourself can enjoy inside your armor. It doesn't seem like it would add to the overall costume, from the audience's perspective. Your own, psh, yeah, I would totally have one. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back