New Armour Tech Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can see where it would be useful with a helmet as complex as an Arbiter's. Taking that off and putting it on must be a bitch.

However, for the more, uh, conventional costumes, simply removing the helmet and downing some water would seem to do it. And removal and replacement is pretty simple, unless the helmet doesn't fit right.

I'm not much into camelbacks, because it takes up space I can use for other things, say various merch I buy at cons. Once, I cosplayed Wally Jenkins (I had a bad feeling about it), and I used my backpack to hold everything I bought at the con. Of course, he doesn't wear a backpack, but I always thought a real soldier would. Artistic license? :rolleyes

Anywho, this isn't necessarily a bit of armor tech, but I'm working on a cheap way to make an ammo counter for the MA5 and BR55. So far, all I can come up with is a video file displayed on a butchered camcorder. And that ain't cheap. Or easy to make... More on this as it comes.

SchizophrenicMC said:
Well, I can see where it would be useful with a helmet as complex as an Arbiter's. Taking that off and putting it on must be a bitch.

However, for the more, uh, conventional costumes, simply removing the helmet and downing some water would seem to do it. And removal and replacement is pretty simple, unless the helmet doesn't fit right.

I'm not much into camelbacks, because it takes up space I can use for other things, say various merch I buy at cons. Once, I cosplayed Wally Jenkins (I had a bad feeling about it), and I used my backpack to hold everything I bought at the con. Of course, he doesn't wear a backpack, but I always thought a real soldier would. Artistic license? :rolleyes

Anywho, this isn't necessarily a bit of armor tech, but I'm working on a cheap way to make an ammo counter for the MA5 and BR55. So far, all I can come up with is a video file displayed on a butchered camcorder. And that ain't cheap. Or easy to make... More on this as it comes.

If you know a bit about electronics, a counter isn't too hard to make. A couple of guys on here did them about 2 years ago (if I remember correctly), so you should be able to find them. I think they wired a a couple of LEDs to a relay and put the switch on the trigger.

For sweet swag, I think a garbage bag is sufficient ;)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
While completely silly, my brother thought it'd be nifty to completely black out the visor and have a HUD (via the LCD from a camera system) in the helmet. Of course, my brother isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

However, that did get me to thinking about getting a hold of a low-light camera that could really help you see where you are going when it is poorly lit outside or inside. The visor is tinted to begin with so it might be nice to have around when having to do things with the helmet on in poor light.

For now though, I'm trying to not think that far ahead or I'll start tripping all over myself.

EDIT: Well, got ahead of myself and researched DIY IR conversions for camera systems. Sounds extremely do-able and relatively cheap. I might just try this just for kicks. I don't plan on running around in the dark with armor on - but this is one of those "why not?" moments.

I dont know if this actually counts as tech, but its plausible. For my iron man costume i plan on taking the faceplate, casting it in plastic or some sort of clear material, then painting it with reflective paint (cant remember what its called, but i saw a thread on how to do it with a master chief visor). That way no one can see into the faceplate from the outside in, but i can see out from the entire faceplate. The eyes will still light up, however, the lights will be outside the faceplate instead of inside of where i am. That way theres no glare for me (ill black it out where the lights are) and it'll still light up outside. As far as other electronics, i plan on using a pneumatic setup to let the flight stabilizers on my suit open and close, as well as (maybe) the leg openings. Also, i will be using a type of purge kit in order to shoot smoke out of the boots. Still working on getting the missile launcher working right as well..

Flyerfye said:
Woo! Off topic time! Yes, I know about OLEDs. They're just EXCESSIVELY expensive. Sony's 11" OLED monitor is $2500, just to give you a price point on those. So it's possible, but dang. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to do it, but it's way out of my league.

I know the price, but think of it! Shiny, HD OLEDs in your helmet! :love:

I'm melting from the inside out :D

i had an idea for when i start making a helmet. i have a headset for a cellphone (wired headset) and it had a button at the edge of it to pickup and hangup. i was going to try to take the headset apart, change the button to a larger button i could buy at radioshack and mount that to the outside of the helmet, then attach the microphone and earpiece to the appropriate places inside the helmet and then when someone calls i can just press the button and pick up with the helmet still on my head

... i dont mind doing this to my headset because i have hands free wireless stuff now :cool

Drakku said:
Also, as far as HUD goes.. it's honestly only something that you yourself can enjoy inside your armor. It doesn't seem like it would add to the overall costume, from the audience's perspective. Your own, psh, yeah, I would totally have one. ;P

It would add to the costume if you intended to use it in paintball and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back